Tour of California 2006

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Arthur Harris, Mar 25, 2005.

  1. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Arthur Harris wrote:
    > To be announced this afternoon.

    I'm sure that we'll hear sniping from fools that can't understand that
    the announcement only means that there's money to do it and none of the
    courses and distances are fixed.

    700 miles indeed. As if a Tour that claims to want to rival the Tour de
    France in time would start by making no challenge at all.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-worldcycling&prov=ap&type=lgns

    > > http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7738.0.html
    > >
    > > Art Harris
    > >

    > stupid...about 700 miles in 8 days?
    >
    > Follow the lead of Georgia...average a 100 miles a day and there will

    be
    > a chance that some real pros will show up.

    Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?

    As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.

    Tom

  4. gym gravity

    gym gravity Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    >
    > As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    > California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    > stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    > the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    > and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.

    Would those roads be passable in February though?

  5. I just hope there is some tough Mtn stages...... This the type of race
    I have been hoping for. A race like this could give US cycling the
    boost it needs. Perhaps the race could be combined with the SF Grand
    Prix. If the race is properly designed and promoted it could exceed the
    Tour de Trump.

    What I really astonishing is the quality of racers the US has been
    producing. This is especially true when one considers the state of road
    racing in the US.

    [email protected] wrote:
    > gym gravity wrote:
    > > Arthur Harris wrote:
    > > > To be announced this afternoon.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-worldcycling&prov=ap&type=lgns

    > > > http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/7738.0.html
    > > >
    > > > Art Harris
    > > >

    > > stupid...about 700 miles in 8 days?
    > >
    > > Follow the lead of Georgia...average a 100 miles a day and there

    will
    > be
    > > a chance that some real pros will show up.

    > Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    >
    > As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    > California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    > stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    > the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    > and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    >
    > Tom

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just hope there is some tough Mtn stages...... This the type of race
    > I have been hoping for. A race like this could give US cycling the
    > boost it needs. Perhaps the race could be combined with the SF Grand
    > Prix. If the race is properly designed and promoted it could exceed the
    > Tour de Trump.
    >
    > What I really astonishing is the quality of racers the US has been
    > producing. This is especially true when one considers the state of road
    > racing in the US.

    To bad the SF Grand Prix may not be the SF Grand Prix any longer.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/25/BAGGVBUOVE1.
    DTL

    The promoters want a break on the fees charged for police services and
    some of the city supervisors don't want to give the race any break on
    fees.

  7. Casey Kerrigan wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > To bad the SF Grand Prix may not be the SF Grand Prix any longer.
    > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/03/25/BAGGVBUOVE1.
    > DTL
    >
    > The promoters want a break on the fees charged for police services and
    > some of the city supervisors don't want to give the race any break on
    > fees.
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>>gym gravity wrote:

    <snip>

    >>>Tom

    You'd think Rachel reporter at a Patty "SLA" Hearst newspaper would feel
    the need to mention the real reason the race probably isn't gonna happen
    this year: the title sponsor, T-Mobile, pulled out.

    Thanks,

    Magilla

  8. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    "gym gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >> Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    >>
    >> As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    >> California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    >> stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    >> the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    >> and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    >>

    > Would those roads be passable in February though?

    Certainly not passable this year..

  9. Kendall wrote:

    > "gym gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    >>>
    >>>As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    >>>California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    >>>stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    >>>the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    >>>and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    >>>

    >>Would those roads be passable in February though?

    > Certainly not passable this year..

    Ever hear of a snowplow, faggot?

    http://bikefarmer.com/products/images/item2014.jpg

    Thanks,

    Magilla

  10. >> Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?

    >> As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    >> California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    >> stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    >> the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    >> and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    >>

    > Would those roads be passable in February though?

    Not a chance. Or at least not reliably so, as even the main roads are
    subject to frequent weather closures from November-early March. And even if
    they were, the temps in the Sierras in February would make the beginning
    segments of Paris Nice look downright tropical.

    I visited the Tour of California website (www.tourofcalifornia.com) to find
    out more information about when it would be run, and the only reference was
    "Coming February, 2006." Implication being that's when the race would be.
    Doesn't make sense.

    There are a number of trans-sierra highways that are open year-round,
    including 80 (Donner Pass), 50 (Echo Summit) and 88 (Carson Pass). 80 is a
    freeway and would be pretty boring for a bike race, while 50 & 88 would
    pretty much have to be shut down (with no alternate routes available for
    residents or those going to/from ski areas), making them pretty unlikely
    candidates.

    Highway 4 (Ebbetts Pass & Pacific Grade, with significant stretches at 8-10%
    on Ebbetts, and Pacific reaching 24% but typically "only" 12-15%) would be a
    fantastic route, and had been previously used back in the 70s for the
    original Tour of California (a Larry Glickfeld/Jim McFadden production, if I
    recall correctly). But Ebbetts doesn't typically open until Memorial Day
    weekend, as is the case with the other spectacular trans-Sierra passes,
    Sonora (which is truly HC in categorization) and Tioga.

    Trouble is, you're not going to get major European teams to come to the US,
    particularly the west coast (with a, what, 9-hour time differential?) in
    June. You could put on a fantastic national event in June, but I can't see
    anything later than April attracting much Euro talent.

    In general, you're going to have to limit altitudes to something under
    5,000ft until April, and even then you're still risking road closures due to
    a winter storm. And, of course, we've now had 13 non-drought years in a
    row... sigh... droughts are darned good for the bike biz. But my point is
    that foul weather and spectators don't coexist.

    February just doesn't cut it.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "gym gravity" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >> Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    >>
    >> As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    >> California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    >> stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    >> the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    >> and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    >>

    > Would those roads be passable in February though?

  11. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Kendall wrote:
    >

    > Ever hear of a snowplow,
    >
    > Magilla

    Only when someone has you bent over the back of the couch

    Thanks
    Dave

  12. routebeer

    routebeer Guest

    > Here is the link to the official press release
    > http://www.tourofcalifornia.com/press_release_032505.html

    "Cycling, which has consistently been ranked one the country?s top
    three participation sports, is currently experiencing a period of
    unprecedented growth and popularity," said Leiweke. "Thanks to American
    champions like Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, Bobby Julich and
    northern California resident Levi Leipheimer in addition to the
    tremendous interest that the Tour de France has generated nationwide
    the past decade, the time is clearly right for AEG to develop this
    exciting property which we believe will become the premier American
    cycling event."

    It's gonna feel like a spear through the chest when Olympic Gold
    Medalist Tyler Hamilton reads that one

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Mike
    Jacoubowsky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> Is there anyone in RBR that doesn't have a stick up his butt?
    > >>
    > >> As a lifetime resident, I have thought for a long time that a Tour of
    > >> California would be a great way to promote the state. The suggested
    > >> stage from Sacramento to Tahoe is just what I had in mind. Stages in
    > >> the Sierras could easily top 20K feet of climbing in under 100 miles
    > >> and include several climbs more challenging than L'Alpe d'Huez.
    > >>

    > > Would those roads be passable in February though?

    > Not a chance. Or at least not reliably so, as even the main roads are
    > subject to frequent weather closures from November-early March. And even if
    > they were, the temps in the Sierras in February would make the beginning
    > segments of Paris Nice look downright tropical.
    >
    > I visited the Tour of California website (www.tourofcalifornia.com) to find
    > out more information about when it would be run, and the only reference was
    > "Coming February, 2006." Implication being that's when the race would be.
    > Doesn't make sense.

    If you read the official press release it only talks about going down
    the CA coastline and doesn't mention anything about the Sierra Mts. If
    the race does only go down the coast then snow isn't a factor. Then
    again heavy rain could wash out some of the possible race routes.

  14. Tim Mullin

    Tim Mullin Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > There are a number of trans-sierra highways that are open year-round,
    > including 80 (Donner Pass)

    That would be a good location for a feed zone, eh?

  15. "Dave H" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Kendall wrote:
    > >

    > > Ever hear of a snowplow,
    > >
    > > Magilla

    > Only when someone has you bent over the back of the couch
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    POTM

  16. PanFan

    PanFan Guest

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:34:47 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

    >> Would those roads be passable in February though?

    > Not a chance. Or at least not reliably so, as even the main roads are
    > subject to frequent weather closures from November-early March. And even if
    > they were, the temps in the Sierras in February would make the beginning
    > segments of Paris Nice look downright tropical.

    > February just doesn't cut it.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    I agree wholeheartedly! I just about choked on my oatmeal when I read that.

    February? What the heck are they thinking? Everyone who lives in
    California knows that's the peak of the rainy season and when El Nino is
    in town, that's when the mudslides and floods happen.

    To make the Tour of California a spectacular event, it is obvious you have
    to have it during the dry season so that stages can showcase
    California's beautiful mountain passes.

    Personally, I think the first week of October is ideal. The heat of the
    summer has backed off, it's still a dry month, the summer tourist season
    in the Sierras is over (making road closures more practical). The first
    week of October is also a couple a weeks after the end of the Vuelta, so
    no conflict there.

    -- Jim, Fuming in California

  17. PanFan wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:34:47 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >

    >>>Would those roads be passable in February though?

    >>Not a chance. Or at least not reliably so, as even the main roads are
    >>subject to frequent weather closures from November-early March. And even if
    >>they were, the temps in the Sierras in February would make the beginning
    >>segments of Paris Nice look downright tropical.

    >>February just doesn't cut it.
    >>
    >>--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >>www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    > I agree wholeheartedly! I just about choked on my oatmeal when I read that.
    >
    > February? What the heck are they thinking? Everyone who lives in
    > California knows that's the peak of the rainy season and when El Nino is
    > in town, that's when the mudslides and floods happen.
    >
    > To make the Tour of California a spectacular event, it is obvious you have
    > to have it during the dry season so that stages can showcase
    > California's beautiful mountain passes.
    >
    > Personally, I think the first week of October is ideal. The heat of the
    > summer has backed off, it's still a dry month, the summer tourist season
    > in the Sierras is over (making road closures more practical). The first
    > week of October is also a couple a weeks after the end of the Vuelta, so
    > no conflict there.
    >
    > -- Jim, Fuming in California

    Dude,

    The Tour of Cauliflower people are at the mercy of the UCI. To be
    honest, they probably came up with the date based on when they could
    guarantee Lance would race it.

    All you comatose organ donors in here who think they made the decision
    after watching the weather channel's seasonal average rainfall special
    need be examined by a sexaul assault nurse because it's obvious you've
    been recently sodomized.

    Thanks,

    Magilla