Tour of California: race photos

Allen H

Oct 25, 2003
Whole gallery of the tour is here (I had a press photographer pass, so I got really good access for photos):

http://allenh.zenfolio.com/f71455161

A sampling:

Lance on stage showing that Levi is "the man", at least for this tour:

p921448424-4.jpg

Sprint finish - Cavendish starts celebrating well BEFORE the line - and the photo finish on TV showed that he won by less than 2 inches. Now THAT is a pro: knowing you've "got it" even when the margin is that small:

p190642888-4.jpg

Levi on time trial stage in Solvang:

p990868305-4.jpg

Michael Rogers, David Zabriskie, and Jens Voigt on time trial climb:

p840299497-4.jpg

p692723662-4.jpg

p832742041-4.jpg

Taken on Sierra Road climb - brutal cold, windy, raining - these capture that even these world-best riders DO suffer, especially on climbs this steep in weather this bad (at the press conference, a reporter asked Levi what conditions were like. His answer: "go in your shower, turn it on as cold as it gets, and stand under it for 4 hours - that's what it was like"):

p429501261-4.jpg

p449024012-4.jpg

Another pack sprint finish, won by Thor Hushovd:

p370623772-4.jpg

Oh, and one of the podium girls was incredibly cute and well-endowed (my son saw this photo and said, "she was lookin' right at ya"; I responded that she knew to smile for the camera):

p72197655-4.jpg

Wow! That is some awesome photography - thanks for the visual feast!

Eldron said:
Wow! That is some awesome photography - thanks for the visual feast!

Thanks for looking & commenting, Eldron. It was a great time, despite really ugly weather the first few days.

No drug testing in this EPO Amgen Drug funded freak show.

Too pathetic.

This event was won by Roid Landis, then fixed for Levi Leipheimer for the next three editions.

WWE is the better value.

RdBiker said:
Great pictures. I especially like this last one. I haven't seen such a beauty near the podium before.

That's California for you - lots to choose from, and they did good on this one, IMO :)