Tour of California

mareblu

Mar 16, 2004
Is anybody going to watch the Tour of California???

STAGES
P Sunday, Feb 19th
San Francisco 1.9 mi
3.1 km view stage >
1 Monday, Feb 20th
Saucalito > Santa Rosa 80.2 mi
129.1 km view stage >
2 Tuesday, Feb 21st
Martinez > San José 94.9 mi
152.7 km view stage >
3 Wednesday, Feb 22nd
San José 17 mi
27.4 km view stage >
4 Thursday, Feb 23rd
Monterey > San Luis Obispo 130.9 mi
210.7 km view stage >
5 Friday, Feb 24th
San Luis Obispo > Santa Barbara 105.3 mi
169.5 km view stage >
6 Saturday, Feb 25th
Santa Barbara > Thousand Oaks 89.5 mi
144.0 km view stage >
7 Sunday, Feb 26th
Redondo Beach 76.5 mi
123.1 km view stage

Sixteen international and domestic teams, including No. 1-ranked Team CSC, will tackle the inaugural Amgen Tour of California next month, organizers announced Tuesday.

The 600-mile UCI 2.1 race starts February 19 with a prologue in San Francisco and concludes seven days later in Redondo Beach after passing through eight other "host cities" - Sausalito, Santa Rosa, Martinez, San Jose, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks.

"We designed the inaugural course with both racers and spectators in mind," said Bob Colarossi, managing director of AEG Cycling, LLC. "It offers the world's best cyclists some of the most challenging terrain that California has to offer."
Racing begins at 11 a.m. Sunday, February 19, with a 3.1km prologue, which takes riders from the Ferry Building at Pier 1 along the Embarcadero and onto Bay Street for the tight, steep climb up Telegraph Hill to the finish at Coit Tower.

Stage 1 heads north on Highway 1, covering roughly 129.1km from Sausalito to Santa Rosa, where the field will complete three laps of a technical finishing circuit downtown.

On Tuesday, Stage 2 covers 152.7km through the East Bay, from Martinez and up Sierra Road - the first Category 1 climb of the tour - before finishing in downtown San Jose.

Wednesday brings the Stage-3 individual time trial, an undulating 27.4km on the outskirts of San Jose along the Chesbro and Calero reservoirs.

Stage 4, the "queen stage" of the tour, begins in Monterey and follows Highway 1 through Big Sur and past Hearst Castle before shifting inland toward the finish in San Luis Obispo. At 210.7km, Thursday's stage is the longest of the race, with consistently hilly and technical terrain.

Friday's 169.5km Stage 5 starts in Mission Plaza in San Luis Obispo and follows the central coast to the sprint city of Guadalupe, where the field will leave the flatlands and head east to the Santa Ynez Mountains via the Solvang area. The riders will then face the four-mile Cat. 1 climb to San Marcos Pass before descending to a beachfront finish in Santa Barbara.

Saturday's Stage 6 is comparatively short at just 144km, but hilly, with four KoM climbs between Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks. The final miles include three laps of a three-mile circuit in Thousand Oaks before the finish at Amgen's corporate campus.

Sunday's finale, Stage 7, is a 123.1km circuit race in Redondo Beach: 10 laps of a circuit along the Esplanade and through an intermediate sprint line in Riviera Village before returning to the start/finish line on Harbor Street.

Bjarne Riis, whose Team CSC this year is holding a training camp in and around Solvang, California, says the inaugural tour plays to his team's strengths.

"The Amgen Tour of California is an event that attracts our ---- of racing - we like to ride aggressively and show some spectacular cycling," said Riis. "The organizers have put together a really challenging route that suits the riders we will bring.

"Naturally, we have very high ambitions for this race. We have always enjoyed racing in the States, and we look forward to a great week in California in February."

Health Net-Maxxis also is training in the area, and director Jeff Corbett is looking forward to the race.

"With the team and our title sponsor both being based in California, we've been looking forward to the Tour of California ever since early talk of it began last year," said Corbett. "It's an opportunity to develop another top tier international stage race in the U.S."

For more information, including maps of the courses, see www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.

Amgen Tour of California
February 19-26
Stages
Sunday, Feb. 19 - Prologue, San Francisco, 3.1km
Monday, Feb. 20 - Stage 1, Sausalito-Santa Rosa, 129.1km
Tuesday, Feb. 21 - Stage 2, Martinez-San Jose, 152.7km
Wednesday, Feb. 22 - Stage 3, ITT, San Jose, 27.4km
Thursday, Feb. 23 - Stage 4, Monterey-San Luis Obispo, 210.7km
Friday, Feb. 24 - Stage 5, San Luis Obispo-Santa Barbara, 169.5km
Saturday, Feb. 25 - Stage 6, Santa Barbara-Thousand Oaks, 144km
Sunday, Feb. 26 - Stage 7, Redondo Beach, 123.1km

Teams

Team CSC (Den)
Discovery Channel (USA)
Phonak (Swi)
Gerolsteiner (G)
Davitamon-Lotto (B)
Prodir-Saunier Duval (Sp)
Crédit Agricole (F)
T-Mobile (G)
Health Net-Maxxis (USA)
Navigators (USA)
Colavita-Sutter Home (USA)
United Pro Cycling Team (USA)
TIAA-CREF (USA)
Kodakgallery.com-Sierra Nevada (USA)
Jelly Belly (USA)
KB Home Mexican National Team (Mex)

mareblu said:
Sixteen international and domestic teams, including No. 1-ranked Team CSC, will tackle the inaugural Amgen Tour of California next month, organizers announced Tuesday.

The 600-mile UCI 2.1 race starts February 19 with a prologue in San Francisco and concludes seven days later in Redondo Beach after passing through eight other "host cities" - Sausalito, Santa Rosa, Martinez, San Jose, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks.

"We designed the inaugural course with both racers and spectators in mind," said Bob Colarossi, managing director of AEG Cycling, LLC. "It offers the world's best cyclists some of the most challenging terrain that California has to offer."
Racing begins at 11 a.m. Sunday, February 19, with a 3.1km prologue, which takes riders from the Ferry Building at Pier 1 along the Embarcadero and onto Bay Street for the tight, steep climb up Telegraph Hill to the finish at Coit Tower.

Stage 1 heads north on Highway 1, covering roughly 129.1km from Sausalito to Santa Rosa, where the field will complete three laps of a technical finishing circuit downtown.

On Tuesday, Stage 2 covers 152.7km through the East Bay, from Martinez and up Sierra Road - the first Category 1 climb of the tour - before finishing in downtown San Jose.

Wednesday brings the Stage-3 individual time trial, an undulating 27.4km on the outskirts of San Jose along the Chesbro and Calero reservoirs.

Stage 4, the "queen stage" of the tour, begins in Monterey and follows Highway 1 through Big Sur and past Hearst Castle before shifting inland toward the finish in San Luis Obispo. At 210.7km, Thursday's stage is the longest of the race, with consistently hilly and technical terrain.

Friday's 169.5km Stage 5 starts in Mission Plaza in San Luis Obispo and follows the central coast to the sprint city of Guadalupe, where the field will leave the flatlands and head east to the Santa Ynez Mountains via the Solvang area. The riders will then face the four-mile Cat. 1 climb to San Marcos Pass before descending to a beachfront finish in Santa Barbara.

Saturday's Stage 6 is comparatively short at just 144km, but hilly, with four KoM climbs between Santa Barbara and Thousand Oaks. The final miles include three laps of a three-mile circuit in Thousand Oaks before the finish at Amgen's corporate campus.

Sunday's finale, Stage 7, is a 123.1km circuit race in Redondo Beach: 10 laps of a circuit along the Esplanade and through an intermediate sprint line in Riviera Village before returning to the start/finish line on Harbor Street.

Bjarne Riis, whose Team CSC this year is holding a training camp in and around Solvang, California, says the inaugural tour plays to his team's strengths.

"The Amgen Tour of California is an event that attracts our ---- of racing - we like to ride aggressively and show some spectacular cycling," said Riis. "The organizers have put together a really challenging route that suits the riders we will bring.

"Naturally, we have very high ambitions for this race. We have always enjoyed racing in the States, and we look forward to a great week in California in February."

Health Net-Maxxis also is training in the area, and director Jeff Corbett is looking forward to the race.

"With the team and our title sponsor both being based in California, we've been looking forward to the Tour of California ever since early talk of it began last year," said Corbett. "It's an opportunity to develop another top tier international stage race in the U.S."

For more information, including maps of the courses, see www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.

Amgen Tour of California
February 19-26
Stages
Sunday, Feb. 19 - Prologue, San Francisco, 3.1km
Monday, Feb. 20 - Stage 1, Sausalito-Santa Rosa, 129.1km
Tuesday, Feb. 21 - Stage 2, Martinez-San Jose, 152.7km
Wednesday, Feb. 22 - Stage 3, ITT, San Jose, 27.4km
Thursday, Feb. 23 - Stage 4, Monterey-San Luis Obispo, 210.7km
Friday, Feb. 24 - Stage 5, San Luis Obispo-Santa Barbara, 169.5km
Saturday, Feb. 25 - Stage 6, Santa Barbara-Thousand Oaks, 144km
Sunday, Feb. 26 - Stage 7, Redondo Beach, 123.1km

Teams

Team CSC (Den)
Discovery Channel (USA)
Phonak (Swi)
Gerolsteiner (G)
Davitamon-Lotto (B)
Prodir-Saunier Duval (Sp)
Crédit Agricole (F)
T-Mobile (G)
Health Net-Maxxis (USA)
Navigators (USA)
Colavita-Sutter Home (USA)
United Pro Cycling Team (USA)
TIAA-CREF (USA)
Kodakgallery.com-Sierra Nevada (USA)
Jelly Belly (USA)
KB Home Mexican National Team (Mex)
I plan on going to the Prologue and Stage One.

Prologue and Stage 1 for me too. They're gonna ride right past my house... maybe I should invite the guys in for a cup of coffee?

I'm going to watch the start of Stage 1 in Sausalito and then try my hardest to catch them again at Pt. Reyes Station by riding there via Nicacio while the pros are going over Mt. Tam... I don't think I stand a chance in hell of pulling it off... but I'm going to try!

friedmikey said:
Prologue and Stage 1 for me too. They're gonna ride right past my house... maybe I should invite the guys in for a cup of coffee?

I'm going to watch the start of Stage 1 in Sausalito and then try my hardest to catch them again at Pt. Reyes Station by riding there via Nicacio while the pros are going over Mt. Tam... I don't think I stand a chance in hell of pulling it off... but I'm going to try!
Does anybody know if there is live coverage (streaming?) of the Tour of California on the internet?

Streaming... I don't know. As for television coverage, I think it's just going to be nightly highlights on ESPN 2, and they say they're working on live coverage on the weekends.

friedmikey said:

Yummy coffee sounds good!

I am going for the prologue if weather cooperates!!!!

....And I don't know if they will be broadcasting this tour. If anything there will be some talk on the local show under their sport section.

I'm watching the prologue and somewhere along Stage 2. I'm torn between wanting to see the riders go over the roads I do all the time (the first 50 miles or so) and wanting to see maybe a decisive attack on the longer hills later in the race. It'll end in San Jose about 3:30 so getting back to Diablo land will be a traffic problem. If I stay local I can just ride my bike there... I'm thinking either the Bears or Happy Valley.

I hope the weather cooperates.

Enjoy it folks - for those of you who haven't been exposed to professional racing, I can guarantee that this will be a great experience for you.

If any of you are even within a couple of hours drive from the route, I would recommend that you try to get to see the race live.
It's well worth it.

limerickman said:
Enjoy it folks - for those of you who haven't been exposed to professional racing, I can guarantee that this will be a great experience for you.

If any of you are even within a couple of hours drive from the route, I would recommend that you try to get to see the race live.
It's well worth it.

The last hill his in Stage 2 is a steep 2000 foot climb about 10 miles before the finish. It's tough enough that we could see some eliminations on time... With 8 euro-pro teams and 8 domestic teams there'll be some disparity in abilities for sure.

Watch for my "HI LIM" road art with a shamrock.

DiabloScott said:
The last hill his in Stage 2 is a steep 2000 foot climb about 10 miles before the finish. It's tough enough that we could see some eliminations on time... With 8 euro-pro teams and 8 domestic teams there'll be some disparity in abilities for sure.

Watch for my "HI LIM" road art with a shamrock.

Nice one, Diablo.
I'll try to watch out for that.

2000 foot climb sounds like a great vantage point to see them in action.

You might be surprised though the domestic guys will be "up for it" on home territory - you could well see some of the euro's struggling on that climb!

I hope Voigt is in the ToC - him alone would be worth a visit to see them pedalling.

friedmikey said:
Td... What?

That article got me thinking - where do you all reckon is the best spot to watch the prologue from?
In the team car . :D

Lw

mareblu said:
...ESPN2Show Time (ET) ... 1:00 am to 2:00 am
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

One hour of coverage? At one in the morning (10 pm for us west coasties)? Stage Two is even worse. 2 am EST. They're not even covering the prologue at all.

Discovery Channel Tour of California team:

George Hincapie
Tom Danielson
Paolo Savoldelli

Michael Barry
Janez Brajkovic
Viatchslev Ekimov
Vladimir Gusev
Jason McCartney

They're gunning for at least a stage win, and some role in the GC hopefully. :p