Tour of California

tcklyde said:
Simoni is on the results list on cyclingnews... but finished pretty far down in the results...

Floyd was pretty amazing. I was disappointed Levi didn't put in a stronger ride. Bobby J had another good ride. Savoldelli was very mediocre. Roulston and Cruz must be savoring their good times after being dropped by Disco. I was glad to see Robert Hunter up there as I've got him on my fantasy cycling team.
Roulstons result in the TT is huge. It is a shame the NZ media at home continue to ignore these guys who put out some fantastic results all year round. The only cycling we get on TV would be PR about a month after it finished and the Tour. At least all the Tour stages are live everynight. I am suprised at the lack of coverage on the American Sport Channels though..are they to booked up with truck pulling competitions and ten pin bowling? Pretty impressive ride by Landis hopefully he is not going to fast to early though.

bobke said:
They also Checked Tommy D's bike but Disco put a brick in his bottle cage and he made it OK @ thelast second.

More PR for Cannondale I guess, or whatever Gibo is ridin.

Gibo and SD-P are on Scotts, known for their light weight already.

They just got out of Monterey and there's a break already.

Looks like the weather is great, no wind, sunny and warmer than yesterday.

envy.

lwedge said:
They just got out of Monterey and there's a break already.

Looks like the weather is great, no wind, sunny and warmer than yesterday.

envy.
ditto ditto ditto

Roulston is great.
He dropped Discovery, not the other way around.

They're going really hard on the attacks today, reading the live report on cyclingnews.com and theres at least one every ten kilometers it seems. Most of them aren't getting very far but still, hard day for the riders.

15:10 PST
A hard left turn now. All accross the road. CSC and Health Net are both up there. Her comes the left hand turn. They're swinging wide. The crowd screams.

Sprinting now. 50m. T-Mobile!!!

Davitamon Lotto in second.
No its JJ Haedo again who takes the win.

15:11 PST
A Davitmon Lotto guy in second.

15:12 PST
What a week for Juan Jose Haedo and the Toyota United Pro team.

15:12 PST
Fred Rodriguez in second and Andre Korff (T-Mobile) in third.

15:16 PST
Thanks for tuning in again to our Live Coverage. We'll be back tomorrow for Stage 5 from San Luis Obispo to Santa Barbara.

Results

Provisional1 Juan Jose Haedo (Toyota United Pro) 2 Freddy Rodriguez (Davitamon Lotto)3 Andre Korff (T-Mobile)

Haedo is very impressive early on. I see Fraser edged up a bit, finishing 4th. I'm hoping he will grab a stage.

O'Neill is the only US based rider in the top 20 :eek:

Whats going on with the local pro's?

I'm surprised that Riis didn't try harder today to dislodge Landis, even though it would have been extremely difficult to do so. Riis has #2 and 3 in GC. Chris Brewer on thepaceline makes the same point. Bruyneel's comments today before the stage signal that he would have been willing to help CSC, because they thought their interests were aligned at that point.

If I were Riis, I would have called Johan and suggested something dramatic in collaboration. The attempt would still very likely have failed to dislodge Landis, but Riis would have tried.

Before Stage 5, Bruyneel said:

"Q: It doesn’t seem like CSC has really fired any big shots off yet… JB: I think today and tomorrow they are going to try, but it all depends on what their intentions are. If CSC has a mission to win the race, then they are going to be our ally and I think one of us could win the race. If they're racing for second and third, then I think everything will stay the same.

Q: When you refer to CSC being an ally, do conversations actually occur to make these kinds of arrangements? JB: No, not really. Sometimes things happen because riders and teams have the same interests. For example right now, I would think that we have the same interest as CSC, and that's to put the pressure on the team that has the leader (Phonak) and try to wear them out, isolate the leader and then have the numbers at the end to attack. If you have three guys from one team, four from another, and only one man who's the leader, then you have a possibility. But if you let the team who has the leader control the race and be comfortable with that, you're not going anywhere. But I'm not calling Bjarne Riis up on his cell phone and making a strategy. There's just things that go on in the race that we both know are in our same interest, and without a word or a phone call we're thinking the same thing."

Bruyneel's pre-stage analysis is interesting, because Bruyneel himself would clearly have tried to dislodge the GC leader, even if he were to have his riders in the #2 and 3 spots. He would have been more than willing to risk losing one or both of his podium spots to have a shot at winning the GC. ;)

Levi adds a bit of commentary, in cyclingnews: "One team that was absent from the goings-on in the end was CSC, which Leipheimer speculates is taking a conservative stance to protect their high GC positions. "I'm not very impressed with their tactics," Leipheimer said. "They are not very aggressive -- they haven't won a stage yet. They have second and third on the GC which is nice, but they haven't won anything. I didn't see Dave or Bobby attacking. If Discovery had sent Danielson with me or if CSC had sent Bobby that would have been ideal. I don't think when it comes to the climbs they are a little afraid -- they want to conserve their spot on GC." But CSC's Bobby Julich told Cyclingnews that his team had planned on a move at the climb, but decided against it when they saw the level of difficulty was not what they expected. "[The plan] was blown out of the water when we saw the climb wasn't so hard and that there was a headwind. When you are second or third, you can try to make moves but at the same time something may go wrong in that situation. We made the main decision in the time trial because it would be very hard to gain time especially without time bonuses at the finish anymore. There wasn't much talk because we had Jens up the road and we wanted to play that card for a stage win, because he was riding super-strong today. I think Discovery had the same thing in their mind which is why we weren't as aggressive."

musette said:
But CSC's Bobby Julich told Cyclingnews that:... "When you are second or third, you can try to make moves but at the same time something may go wrong in that situation. We made the main decision in the time trial because it would be very hard to gain time especially without time bonuses at the finish anymore. There wasn't much talk because we had Jens up the road and we wanted to play that card for a stage win, because he was riding super-strong today. I think Discovery had the same thing in their mind which is why we weren't as aggressive."

If Bruyneel had people in #2 and 3, he wouldn't be going for the stage win (at least not in Stage 5). That Jens was up the road didn't mean Riis had to go for the stage win. Julich's observation that Discovery had the same strategy as CSC and that that validates CSC's Stage 5 strategy is flawed because:

General classification after stage 4

1 Floyd Landis (USA) Phonak Hearing Systems 12.37.38
2 David Zabriskie (USA) Team CSC 0.29
3 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 0.34
4 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel 0.45
5 Nathan O'Neill (Aus) Health Net p/b Maxxis 1.08

The differences are:

(1) CSC was only 29" behind Landis, which, even though large given the circumstances, was a lot less of a difference than Hincapie's 45".

(2) CSC had two people up there, and therefore a slightly better chance in case Landis could be dislodged.

(3) Hincapie is a stronger in a field sprint than Zabriskie or Julich. This is in part because of Hincapie's role, a long time ago, as more of a sprinter, before he made an effort to strengthen himself in the mountains to improve his support of Lance.

(4) Hincapie has a stronger team, for climbing in Stage 5, than Julich/Zabriske. This increased Hincapie's chances of winning the stage, in the event that Eki's breakway did not succeed.

Team CSC

2 Bobby Julich (USA)
3 Lars Ytting Bak (Den)
4 Fabian Cancellara (Swi)
5 Karsten Kroon (Ned)
6 Stuart O'Grady (Aus)
7 Christian Vandevelde (USA)
8 Jens Voigt (Ger)
9 David Zabriskie (USA)

Discovery

51 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita)
52 Michael Barry (Can)
53 Janez Brajkovic (Slo)
54 Thomas Danielson (USA)
55 Viatcheslav Ekimov (Rus)
56 Vladimir Gusev (Rus)
57 George Hincapie (USA)
58 Jason McCartney (USA)

Hincapie has five or six of his teammates around him (in a group of around 40 cyclists) at the end with him in Stage 5. Even before the stage, Bruyneel probably thought Savoldelli and Danielson and probably Barry and McCartney would be with Hincapie at the end in a field sprint.

Because the riders surrounding Hincapie that Bruyneel chose for the TofCA were better climbers on average than Zabriskie and Julich's teammates (Cancellera and O'Grady -- I don't think they would be there), that was another reason that Bruyneel's strategy of going for the stage win with Eki after there was a bit of a climb made sense. Bruyneel thought he probably would have some numbers at the end, which he did, if Eki did not succeed and he were to try and win the stage through a field sprint.

(5) Hincapie has been showing good sprinting form, including through already having won a stage at the TofCA.

(6) In Discovery's case, the person with the opportunity to win the stage in the event that breakway involving Eki did not succeed was also the highest DC cyclist on GC (Hincapie). That meant that, in the event the "backup (Hincapie)" stage win strategy for DC paid off (after the Eki stage win strategy failed), Hincapie would gain a 10" bonus and would reduce slightly the distance to Landis in the event something unexpected came up in later stage and time could be taken out of Landis.

CSC just didnt have it.
End of story...at least thats what VandeVelde said in an interview.

George did.

BTW O'Neill may be US based but he is Australian.

Umm, are they giving out time bonuses for stage wins atm? I know GH got 10 seconds for his first win but he doesn't seem to have got 10 seconds for this one???????

Todays stage should be good, lots more attacking to come I think!

Eldrack said:
Umm, are they giving out time bonuses for stage wins atm? I know GH got 10 seconds for his first win but he doesn't seem to have got 10 seconds for this one???????

Todays stage should be good, lots more attacking to come I think!
Yes, that is correct, no more time boners...
dont know why either
guess they wanted a spinters delight for the last two stages since GC would be locked up by the ITT

limerickman said:
Nice one, Diablo.
I'll try to watch out for that.

2000 foot climb sounds like a great vantage point to see them in action.

You might be surprised though the domestic guys will be "up for it" on home territory - you could well see some of the euro's struggling on that climb!

I hope Voigt is in the ToC - him alone would be worth a visit to see them pedalling.

I was up on Sierra Road, it was pretty cool to see those guys ride by.

Photos I took

DiabloScott said:
The biggest Olympic story seems to be a soap opera type grudge match between two speed skaters - makes more news than the actual events.

Floyd kicked some serious butt today.
Took two minutes out of world time trial champion!
Simoni got eliminated today I think - got a late start for a bike that was too light.
xxcccd