tour of elk grove

footballbiker50

Aug 22, 2006
hey everyone... ive been training for almost half a year now and i think im finally ready to enter a race. ive got my sights set on the tour of elk grove in illinois which is a 60k ride in the pro-am men's level 1/2 category. is there any license or pre registration i have to get prior to the ride in order to race in this category? im new to the whole racing scene so any help is greatly appreciated

footballbiker50 said:
hey everyone... ive been training for almost half a year now and i think im finally ready to enter a race. ive got my sights set on the tour of elk grove in illinois which is a 60k ride in the pro-am men's level 1/2 category. is there any license or pre registration i have to get prior to the ride in order to race in this category? im new to the whole racing scene so any help is greatly appreciated
This is your first race and you're thinking Pro/1/2? Hmm, you might want to scale down your expectations a bit and try the Cat 5 or citizen's category in a smaller race venue first. And read www.usacycling.org. There's an explanation of the categories there and you can apply for a license as well.

Good luck and jump into a cat 5 race as soon as you can. There should be a number of them in the Chicago area.

chris

If you've never done a race, you better be of Merckx quality to upgrade to cat2 by August. This means racing nearly every day during Super Week...and winning.

You need 10 mass start races to go from cat5-4, and 20 points to upgrade to cat3 (1st thru 6th get 7-5-4-3-2-1pts). I live 200ft from the start of the Tour of Elk Grove if you ever want to ride. In the mean time, enter every race that comes up. Also join every group ridein the area: Barrington ride on Tuesdays, Harper Ride on Saturdays, Tonne Rd group sprints on thursday nights. You need the pack handling skills.
Upcoming Races:

Date

Name

Cost

Duration

Sat 06/23

UWW Crit

Whitewater, WI

Sun 06/24

UWW Road Race

Whitewater, WI

Sun 06/24

Fox River Grove Criterium

Fox River Grove, IL

Sat 06/30

Proctor Cycling Classic

Brimfield, IL

$20

32 miles

Sun 07/01

Proctor Cycling Classic

Peoria, IL

$25

45min+3

July, 2007

internationalcycling.com

Superweek!

Sun 07/29

ABR Illinois Criterium Champs

Wood Dale, IL

Sun 08/05

Elgin Cycling Classic Criterium

Elgin, IL

$20

40min+4

Sat 08/11

Tour of Elk Grove 3/4

Elk Grove, IL

$20

20min+1

Sat 08/18

USPRO Criterium Championships

Downers Grove, IL

$25

20min+1

And, with that being said, good luck even making cat4 for Elk Grove.

ah well now that ive made myself sound like a retard,,, i thought 5 was the hardest level for some reason which is why thought level 1/2 would be ok for me,,, i was wrong haha

footballbiker50 said:
ah well now that ive made myself sound like a retard,,, i thought 5 was the hardest level for some reason which is why thought level 1/2 would be ok for me,,, i was wrong haha
Hey, no problem. Welcome to cycling. If you have any questions let me know and I can help you out.