Tour of Flanders for cycling amateurs and mountain bikers, 3rd of april 2010

Fietslogies

Aug 7, 2007
If you are into this kind of cycling stuff this is news for you because registrations for this Belgian classic are open now :

Ronde van Vlaanderen

In 2009, 19.000 people participated. But, only 3550 did the real thing and cycled 250 km together. All others did choose the shorter alternatives of 75 and 140 km. And if you don't like so many cyclists around you on a saturday, there's an alternative for the clever ones.

Watch the race of the profs on sunday 4th of april 2010, and cycle it yourself the day after, on monday. That's what a friend of mine does. The people are gone, but all the signposting and the whole atmosphere is still there. And you can cycle your own speed. Not the speed of the others in front of you.

See you,
Fietslogies

I signed up to do the 260km. But 19,000 people in total are riding...!? I heard that the ability level of participants is all over the board from semi-pros using it as training to picnic riders dusting off their bikes for the first time in months. Does this mean that the climbs are going to be log-jammed with slower people from the shorter events who are walking?
Should one wear down-hill armour because of all the crashes :p?

I am planning on doing this for the first time. Do you recommend doing the lodging thru Ronde van Vlaanderen for 242 € in Ghent or can I find other independent lodging near Ninove where the ride starts?
If so, can you point me to some bed & breakfast or hotel? Thanks!

Thanks for your reply. I have tried a couple of B&B's but no luck so far.
The Ronde lodging (242 € in Ghent) does include 2 days of lodging, some meals, and transport to Ninove and back.
Do I have to get a number thru De Ronde to be on the race course on Saturday? In US they can never officially "close" the roads for a sportive event, you just don't get the refreshments and mechanical support. Just asking since that means having to go register in Ninove on Saturday morning.

In that case I cancel my 'Wooow'. The price you mention is not low, but it saves you at least from a lot of hustling.
I think (!) one can participate without being registered. They don't close the roads for half a day. Flanders is a bit too crowded too do so. But I'm not sure ...

I tried booking one night in Ghent in late January, and it was almost impossible because everything was sold out, or places didn't want to rent for just one night. By now it must be worse, and one can't imagine it's much better around Ninove.
But if you have a rental car, you can sleep pretty far away? The finish is in Ninove, so it's easy if you park there.