Tour of Georgia stages

Mike Owens

Guest
The exact route(s) have not been shown but the Athens - Brasstown Bald

stage is stated to be 128 miles and include the climb of Hogpen Gap (hwy
348) and finish on top of Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia (SR 180 spur at Jack's Gap).
Hogpen is the toughest, commonly climbed, gap in Georgia and is ~11 km with an average on
uphill sections of ~7%. There is a prolonged 2-3 km section in the middle at 9-10%. The final
several hundred meters to the top of Brasstown Bald approaches 20% and may be more.

The preceding stage is also listed as 128 miles and is stated to include the very popular "3 Gap"
route of Neel's, Wolfpen and Woody's gaps. Without knowing the direction these climbs will be
tackled from, but assuming it is the Neel's-Wolfpen-Woody's sequence; Neel's is ~12 km @ 5%, Wolfpen
is ~7 km @ 6% but there are some steep ramps on this desolate climb and a true, very tight 180
degree turn, Woody's is ~4 km @ 5%.

-Mike

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The exact route(s) have not been shown but the Athens - Brasstown Bald
>
> stage is stated to be 128 miles and include the climb of Hogpen Gap (hwy
> 348) and finish on top of Brasstown Bald, the highest point in Georgia (SR 180 spur at Jack's
> Gap). Hogpen is the toughest, commonly climbed, gap in Georgia and is ~11 km with an average
> on uphill sections of ~7%. There is
> prolonged 2-3 km section in the middle at 9-10%. The final several
hundred
> meters to the top of Brasstown Bald approaches 20% and may be more.
>

> The preceding stage is also listed as 128 miles and is stated to include
the
> very popular "3 Gap" route of Neel's, Wolfpen and Woody's gaps. Without knowing the direction
> these climbs will be tackled from, but assuming it
is
> the Neel's-Wolfpen-Woody's sequence; Neel's is ~12 km @ 5%, Wolfpen is ~7
km
> @ 6% but there are some steep ramps on this desolate climb and a true,
very
> tight 180 degree turn, Woody's is ~4 km @ 5%.
>
> -Mike

Oh how VERY, VERY cool. I've been up that road to the top of Brasstown Bald several times. I've
often wondered if I could possibly climb it.

I don't live very far away. You can bet I'll be camped out on Brasstown Bald -- or whatever it takes
to be near that finish line!

Bob C.

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> The preceding stage is also listed as 128 miles and is stated to include the very popular "3 Gap"
> route of Neel's, Wolfpen and Woody's gaps. Without knowing the direction these climbs will be
> tackled from, but assuming it is the Neel's-Wolfpen-Woody's sequence; Neel's is ~12 km @ 5%,
> Wolfpen is ~7 km @ 6% but there are some steep ramps on this desolate climb and a true, very tight
> 180 degree turn, Woody's is ~4 km @ 5%.

<Drive-by gloat> Oh baby!!! We have a cabin rented right on Neel's Gap. We will be able to sit on
the porch and watch the race. </Drive-by gloat