Tour of Germany 2009 : cancelled

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
It looks like the recent doping controversies have forced the cancellation of the 2009 Tour of Germany.

This news is being covered in the mainstream media (see below) as well as the cycling media.

http://www.sportsline.com/worldsports/story/11041393/cbsnews

This is a serious development as the Tour of Germany had a substantial following both in the media and in terms of numbers at roadside.

The Tour of Germany is in it's third of fourth resurection. Fair dinkum, this race has come back from the dead more times than Jesus.

classic1 said:
The Tour of Germany is in it's third of fourth resurection. Fair dinkum, this race has come back from the dead more times than Jesus.

You're correct, it has.

But the recent tours got huge coverage........and it's hard to see that being recaptured.

limerickman said:
It looks like the recent doping controversies have forced the cancellation of the 2009 Tour of Germany.

This news is being covered in the mainstream media (see below) as well as the cycling media.

http://www.sportsline.com/worldsports/story/11041393/cbsnews

This is a serious development as the Tour of Germany had a substantial following both in the media and in terms of numbers at roadside.
This I don't understand. Isn't catching the bad guys a good thing ? Like doesn't this move push doping positives back under the carpet where they used to below ?

Looks like Germans don't understand what they want. Recent TDFs show that there is improvement in the work of system... It will be a joke if nothing comes out of retested samples from Olympics... I found that Olympics were a joke not TDF...

I think they're just tired of fighting this ****. Testing seems to be making improvements, but is it really? Who can tell for sure? The riders and their doctors are the only ones that can say. Sinkewitz, Schumacker, Ullrich, how many other Germans in recent past have been caught cheating? They're fed up.

I remember when the German media quit covering the race half-way through it a couple of years ago citing they weren't interested in a "display of pharmaceuticals". That comment made me laugh but also made me sick to my stomache because it's the truth. Professional cyclists are ruining their own sport and the German media is just helping apply more consequences.

Things like this will help clean it up. It probably will help destroy it too, but how else do you get the message to these braindead dipshits???

Bikeridindude said:
I think they're just tired of fighting this ****. Testing seems to be making improvements, but is it really? Who can tell for sure? The riders and their doctors are the only ones that can say. Sinkewitz, Schumacker, Ullrich, how many other Germans in recent past have been caught cheating? They're fed up.

I remember when the German media quit covering the race half-way through it a couple of years ago citing they weren't interested in a "display of pharmaceuticals". That comment made me laugh but also made me sick to my stomache because it's the truth. Professional cyclists are ruining their own sport and the German media is just helping apply more consequences.

Things like this will help clean it up. It probably will help destroy it too, but how else do you get the message to these braindead dipshits???
Good post. This decision at least sends a clear message to German pros. Without clean sport they will be about as well-known in their own land as the Highland games champions are in Kazakhstan.

ard's and zdf's actions would seem less suspect/hypocritical had they applied this policy to the other "dirty" competitions they probably televise, like the olympic games, football, weightlifting, luge & bobsled racing, and so on, and so on. of course, those competitions probably generate enormous advertising marks.