Tour of Greece

deb and gary

New Member
Feb 12, 2004
My wife and I want to take a 3 week ride in Greece this May. We have biked across southern Spain and through Tuscany but from what I hear, Greece is nothing but mountains (double and triple hash marks) and I'm not sure we could handle long climbs much steeper than the likes of Volterra and the Apinines north of Florence.
(This is my first message, I'm not sure what happens next.)

Peloponnisos (pronounced peloponsus) is good. You can get a hydrofoil to the bottom from Athens
(Monemvassia or some similar name) and then cycle a lot of it. I've been there.

deb and gary wrote:

>My wife and I want to take a 3 week ride in Greece this May. We have biked across southern Spain
>and through Tuscany but from what I hear, Greece is nothing but mountains (double and triple hash
>marks) and I'm not sure we could handle long climbs much steeper than the likes of Volterra and the
>Apinines north of Florence. (This is my first message, I'm not sure what happens next.)

This message will self destruct in ten seconds. Delete it from your computer as soon as it is
read. ô¿Ô¬

I've not cycled the alps, so I can't compare ..... but Crete, which does have it's share of climbs,
is a magnificent place bicycle touring. And from there you can island hop in the Cyclades Islands,
where you'll think you've died and gone to heaven.

http://www.cycletourist.com/Scenes/Scenes.html (see Crete and Santorini).

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com Integrity is obvious. The lack of it

> from what I hear, Greece is nothing but mountains

No, not really, of course you have to climb occasionally, just spin low gears, peloponesos is much
less touristed than other parts. Crete could offer some nice riding too, the Cyclades is a chain of
islands, no long distances, in many places you would just ride from the port to your hotel, but
nice, and fun, if you are into partying.

I never biked in Greece but spent a lot of time there in the past. You will find some trip reports
here http://www-math.science.unitn.it/Bike/Countries/Greece/

Per http://lowdin.nu

Crete is a wonderful place for bike touring -

some words and pics here

http://www.scottmurrish.com/writing/crete/

I've done this tour twice once as a client - again later as a guide

Our 6 days od riding could easily have been 10, with so many places worth an extra day layover. You
could easily spend 3 weeks wandering around Crete, and May is great time of year - still snow on the
peaks and wildfowers in bloom .

good luck,

Scott Boulder, CO http://www.ScottMurrish.com

I biked many years ago around the Peloponesis peninsula. Very pretty, very interesting, and very
difficult riding. Also very hot in the summer. I rode in mid-June, and it was already pretty hot. I
went from Greece to Italy on that trip, and I did find that the Peloponesis was more difficult than
southern Italy, FWIW. But very enjoyable.