Tour of Ireland 2009

ScottJ

Jul 6, 2009
Howdy All!

I'm hoping to visit Ireland in August 2009 to see the Tour and I was wondering if anyone has ever taken their bike on a ferry to Ireland from Liverpool as a foot passenger?

I don't want to go from Holyhead, as it's an extra 100 miles on my journey.

It seems I have to pay extra for a room on a return journey, which I'm pi**ed off about to say the least :mad: as I'm quite capable of staying up all night and departing the next day with no kip :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone know of any good campsites in Ireland which may be on the Tour route?

Any advice/help/stories is welcomed :)

Thanks Limerickman,

Yes. I heard that the tour had been reduced to a three day event. Sad, in these times, but it will give me more time to visit Ireland :)

I'll check out the campsites - Thank you for your help ;)

ScottJ said:
Thanks Limerickman,

Yes. I heard that the tour had been reduced to a three day event. Sad, in these times, but it will give me more time to visit Ireland :)

I'll check out the campsites - Thank you for your help ;)

I'll talk to some contacts that I have down there and ask them if they have any info re campsites there.

Tramore is about 15km ride south of Waterford City.
Plenty of campsites there - and plenty of people from all over Ireland go to Tramore/Dunmore for holidays at this time of year

Lance pulled a massive crowd at the Tour Down Under in January this year. You would think it'd be a great opportunity to sign on more sponsors.

steve said:
Lance pulled a massive crowd at the Tour Down Under in January this year. You would think it'd be a great opportunity to sign on more sponsors.

You would think so.

I followed the ToI last year and Cavedish drew the crowds in big numbers.

In fact the South Australia Cycling team got great support from the home crowd too, over here.

This year, it appears to be a different story.
Sadly.