Tour of Ireland lol

Dead Star

Jul 6, 2004
Just read about what happened for that final stage. Who was organising it, Father Dougal? :D

As written by someone on Bikeradar:

Where do you start? The race finished with 9 circuits of Dublin, 2.4 km long. On the 2nd lap, the three-man breakaway caught the rear of the peloton and after that it was just a calamity of errors. Like watching Chucklevision.

No-one knew what to do, so they ended up putting moto-marshalls on the front of the pack, slowing them down and letting the breakaway through to the front. Only one of the Navigators riders wanted to join in, and ended up giving his team-mate (O''Loughlin, in the break) a good tow.

All of the riders were shrugging their shoulders and looking totally confused and not even Phil Liggett knew what was happening. The breakaway was getting tired, but of course the bunch weren't allowed to pass, so spent the end bit of the stage freewheeling 50m behind the 3 up front.

So then the jury said the race for the yellow jersey was neutralized, but what about the points? No-one had a clue. How many laps were left? No-one knew.

In the end, the 3 riders sprinted for the win -- and this is where it gets truly farcical. The yellow jersey is celebrating his win, but half the peloton keeps going, thinking there's a lap to go. They look round, see there's only about 20 riders, and they're all totally baffled. Boassen Hagen wants to race, because Breschel went into the virtual points jersey earlier in the day and his green jersey is at stake. But then the jury neutralize things again and he loses his jersey as a result

Reading your description, I was imagining the soundtrack music from those silly Benny Hill sketches....:D

nns1400 said:
Reading your description, I was imagining the soundtrack music from those silly Benny Hill sketches....:D
7.jpg

Dead Star said:
Just read about what happened for that final stage. Who was organising it, Father Dougal? :D
Yeah, what was up with the ending? One would think that the organizers would have been more on top of things since the race had been absent for years. I guess they forgot how to run a race...

ah well, looking forward to the vuelta

Agreed : I was at the race finish in Dublin : couple of issues : race was finishing in the City Centre of Dublin which was also hosting the Kerry/Dublin GAA match kick off 3.30pm, yesterday.

The race organisers wanted to have the main thoroughfare of Dublin cleared before the estimated race finish time of 2.30 - 2.45pm and before the influx of
83,000 GAA fans.

What they hadn't reckoned with was that the peloton arriving in Dublin City Centre for 1.40pm : so they decided (at the very last minute) to add an extra lap to give the crowd a chance to see the riders.

Couldn't see the benefit of adding 2kms on to a circuit, myself.
But there you go.

the turnout was also incredibly disappointing. you could see from the empty barriers at either side of the road for 80% of the lap that the organisers were expecting a lot more people.

ah well, at least kerry beat the dubs :p

note: i was in a break of two at a crit one time, and this exact thing happened. we were told to stay behind (and well off the back of) the A's or we would be pulled from the race.

Columbia said:
the turnout was also incredibly disappointing. you could see from the empty barriers at either side of the road for 80% of the lap that the organisers were expecting a lot more people.

ah well, at least kerry beat the dubs :p

note: i was in a break of two at a crit one time, and this exact thing happened. we were told to stay behind (and well off the back of) the A's or we would be pulled from the race.

You're right : I taped the race and watched it when I got back and you could see that the numbers that turned up were far smaller than what had been anticipated.

Do you see McQuaid being interviewed after the race?
Asked if they intended to make this an annual race - he was very non-commital.
Looking at the numbers on the roadside, I'm not surprised.

And Kerry did play very well!

Gotta love it when little national cycling Hitlers put politics before logic...

I was once in a race where the start order was Pro Men, Pro Ladies, Pro Wannabees, Everyone Else.

I started in the Pro Wannabee section, got into a small break and caught the Pro Ladies after 15km. The officials wouldn't let us overtake as we would "unfairly influence the Pro Ladies result" so they made us stay 50m behind the Pro Ladies... The Pro Wannabee bunch caught us a few km's later and we spent the rest of the 100km race at ~35kph bored as hell. The finish would have been completely stupid so we opted to stop for 10 minutes with 5km to go so we could at least have a bit of a leg stretch and sprint.

Too silly!

limerickman said:
Agreed : I was at the race finish in Dublin : couple of issues : race was finishing in the City Centre of Dublin which was also hosting the Kerry/Dublin GAA match kick off 3.30pm, yesterday.

The race organisers wanted to have the main thoroughfare of Dublin cleared before the estimated race finish time of 2.30 - 2.45pm and before the influx of
83,000 GAA fans.

What they hadn't reckoned with was that the peloton arriving in Dublin City Centre for 1.40pm : so they decided (at the very last minute) to add an extra lap to give the crowd a chance to see the riders.

Couldn't see the benefit of adding 2kms on to a circuit, myself.
But there you go.
This concerns me. The Tour of Missouri comes through St. Louis for the first time this year, finishing with a circuit race in downtown, only it happens to be the same day as a Rams home football game and a Cardinal baseball game against their biggest rivals, so it's the highest attendance possible. Downtown is pretty small. I predict bedlam!

nns1400 said:
This concerns me. The Tour of Missouri comes through St. Louis for the first time this year, finishing with a circuit race in downtown, only it happens to be the same day as a Rams home football game and a Cardinal baseball game against their biggest rivals, so it's the highest attendance possible. Downtown is pretty small. I predict bedlam!

83,000 people attended the Dublin/Kerry GAA football match last Sunday.
Croke park (the venue) is approximately 3 miles from where the ToI was due to finish on Sunday

The race organisers were told to ensure that the race finished before 2.30pm.
to allow people to disperse and to avoid a logistical traffic/people jam.
TV coverage was scheduled to terminate at 2.30pm

Sounds like your situation in St Louis is the same as what we experienced here.
Do what the peloton did lsat Sunday.
Ride faster, finish earlier than scheduled.