Tour of the SE

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Anyone done the London / Eastbourne / Hastings / Margate / Greenwich journey? I live in SE London /
    Kent and am contemplating this for a 1 week camping tour later this year. I've got the maps but
    would like to know any recommended camp sites and B/B. Having worked out the mileage at about 57
    miles a day for the full route I think I may start at Crawley and finish at Whitstable, that would
    make the daily distances a little less daunting for me! Also any other info you have would be
    appreciated as this will be my first tour after a rebirth of cycling enthusiasm!

    Thanks SW

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone done the London / Eastbourne / Hastings / Margate / Greenwich journey? I live in SE London
    > / Kent and am contemplating this for a 1 week camping tour later this year. I've got the maps but
    > would like to know any recommended camp sites and B/B. Having worked out the mileage at about 57
    > miles a day for the full route I think I may start at Crawley and finish
    at
    > Whitstable, that would make the daily distances a little less daunting for me! Also any other info
    > you have would be appreciated as this will be my first tour after a rebirth of cycling enthusiasm!

    Not done it -- but its pretty lumpy in places. My suggestion would be to B&B this first tour. You
    will travel much lighter, be able to start earlier and have greater flexibility (there are more
    B&B's that there are campstites) so you can bottle out early if feeling buggered.

    Listen to your body. If it wants a day off -- give it a day off. Its a holiday not a race.

    Enjoy.

  3. Steve Watkin

    Steve Watkin Guest

    Thanks Tony, sounds like good advice.