Tour of the SE

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Watkin, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Watkin

Steve Watkin Guest

Anyone done the London / Eastbourne / Hastings / Margate / Greenwich journey? I live in SE London /
    Kent and am contemplating this for a 1 week camping tour later this year. I've got the maps but
    would like to know any recommended camp sites and B/B. Having worked out the mileage at about 57
    miles a day for the full route I think I may start at Crawley and finish at Whitstable, that would
    make the daily distances a little less daunting for me! Also any other info you have would be
    appreciated as this will be my first tour after a rebirth of cycling enthusiasm!

Thanks SW

Tags:

2. Tony W

Tony W Guest

"Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone done the London / Eastbourne / Hastings / Margate / Greenwich journey? I live in SE London
    > / Kent and am contemplating this for a 1 week camping tour later this year. I've got the maps but
    > would like to know any recommended camp sites and B/B. Having worked out the mileage at about 57
    > miles a day for the full route I think I may start at Crawley and finish
    at
    > Whitstable, that would make the daily distances a little less daunting for me! Also any other info
    > you have would be appreciated as this will be my first tour after a rebirth of cycling enthusiasm!
    >

Not done it -- but its pretty lumpy in places. My suggestion would be to B&B this first tour. You
    will travel much lighter, be able to start earlier and have greater flexibility (there are more
    B&B's that there are campstites) so you can bottle out early if feeling buggered.

Listen to your body. If it wants a day off -- give it a day off. Its a holiday not a race.

Enjoy.

T

3. Steve Watkin

Steve Watkin Guest

Thanks Tony, sounds like good advice.

SW

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Steve Watkin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Anyone done the London / Eastbourne / Hastings / Margate / Greenwich journey? I live in SE
    > > London / Kent and am contemplating this for a 1 week
    camping
    > > tour later this year. I've got the maps but would like to know any recommended camp sites and
    > > B/B. Having worked out the mileage at about
    > > miles a day for the full route I think I may start at Crawley and finish
    > at
    > > Whitstable, that would make the daily distances a little less daunting
    for
    > > me! Also any other info you have would be appreciated as this will be my
    first
    > > tour after a rebirth of cycling enthusiasm!
    > >
    >
    >
    > Not done it -- but its pretty lumpy in places. My suggestion would be to B&B this first tour. You
    > will travel much lighter, be able to start
    earlier
    > and have greater flexibility (there are more B&B's that there are campstites) so you can bottle
    > out early if feeling buggered.
    >
    > Listen to your body. If it wants a day off -- give it a day off. Its a holiday not a race.
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.