Tour of USA, Tour of Canada

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by lowkey, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. lowkey

    lowkey Guest

    Have these ever been tried? Granted it would be an uphill grind to pierce
    the apathy of North Americans toward such things but maybe it could
    publicize the sport and possibly leading to a World Series of national
    winners.

    The North American versions would have to be different of course:

    -much simpler rules Nordi Americanos would not stand for the overly complex
    rules.

    -a much longer race, I think, that has stages stretching across the
    continent. Canada could probably manage a stage in each province, and
    territory. That might not be do-able for the 50 states of the US. Perhaps
    they could have stages stretching across the US in a more linear fashion,
    simulating the western expansion of pioneers, perchance.

    -Most importantly the tours would have to be injected with a healthy dose of
    Hollywood/Las Vegas glitz and very hard sell: And in-your-face, extreme
    presentation that borrows from Superbowl-type hype.

    What is really needed is some heavyweight $pon$or$ willing to eat the cost
    of hyping the Tours initially through early lacklustre years. Though I hate
    to say it, Wal-Mart owners do sell bikes and have deep pockets. Bush might
    even be brought on board. :)

    --
    'Lady Astor, you are ugly'
    'Mr. Churchill, you're drunk!'

    Tags:

  2. C

    C Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    lowkey <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Have these ever been tried? Granted it would be an uphill grind to pierce
    >the apathy of North Americans toward such things but maybe it could
    >publicize the sport and possibly leading to a World Series of national
    >winners.

    There have been major multi-state stage races through the Rockies (Coors
    Classic in the 1980s) and the Appalachians (Tour duPont in the 1990s).
    Those eventually failed due to lack of sponsorship.

  3. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    lowkey wrote:
    > Have these ever been tried? Granted it would be an uphill grind to pierce
    > the apathy of North Americans toward such things but maybe it could
    > publicize the sport and possibly leading to a World Series of national
    > winners.
    >
    > The North American versions would have to be different of course:
    >
    > -much simpler rules Nordi Americanos would not stand for the overly complex
    > rules.
    >
    > -a much longer race, I think, that has stages stretching across the
    > continent. Canada could probably manage a stage in each province, and
    > territory. That might not be do-able for the 50 states of the US. Perhaps
    > they could have stages stretching across the US in a more linear fashion,
    > simulating the western expansion of pioneers, perchance.
    >
    > -Most importantly the tours would have to be injected with a healthy dose of
    > Hollywood/Las Vegas glitz and very hard sell: And in-your-face, extreme
    > presentation that borrows from Superbowl-type hype.
    >
    > What is really needed is some heavyweight $pon$or$ willing to eat the cost
    > of hyping the Tours initially through early lacklustre years. Though I hate
    > to say it, Wal-Mart owners do sell bikes and have deep pockets. Bush might
    > even be brought on board. :)

    Here's one the America's race, starts in Labrador, Canada heads west
    through to say Kingston, Ontario, heads south through New York State,
    and works it's way south west, crosses into Mexico, down through Central
    America. Wanna see a challenge, the stage that ends in La Pas, Bolivia,
    at 3650m (that's a brain numbing 11,975'). The race ends in Rio
    Gallegos, Argentina....

    Think of the potential economic benefits to the cities and countries
    this would pass through.....

  4. The Wogster wrote:
    > Here's one the America's race, starts in Labrador, Canada heads west
    > through to say Kingston, Ontario, heads south through New York State,
    > and works it's way south west, crosses into Mexico, down through Central
    > America. Wanna see a challenge, the stage that ends in La Pas, Bolivia,
    > at 3650m (that's a brain numbing 11,975'). The race ends in Rio
    > Gallegos, Argentina....
    >
    > Think of the potential economic benefits to the cities and countries
    > this would pass through.....

    Yeah, the bears and moose along Hwy 500 between Happy Valley and
    Labrador City could sell blueberries along the side of the road.

  5. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Oh, I see you've been to Happy Valley. Pemmican anyone? ;)

    That would be one seriously cool ride though. People have called the TdF
    "mostly boring" with some mad dashes thrown in.
    I enjoy it but can see where they're coming from.

    With a cross-Americas Tour, maybe the appeal would be seeing the ride go
    through people's "backyards" so to speak. The climatic variation would
    really be something.

    *shrug* Who knows... maybe people would still find it boring.

    I like the suggestion though. La Pas is just a nutty goal. I think we'd lose
    most of the riders on the way up. (or they'd die trying)

    How about this: a cycle adventure race. The race doesn't stop - you just
    keep riding until your team needs rest. Do that across the Americas. No
    hotels. You get to see the riders camping out.

    "Brian Huntley" <brian_hun[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The Wogster wrote:
    >> Here's one the America's race, starts in Labrador, Canada heads west
    >> through to say Kingston, Ontario, heads south through New York State,
    >> and works it's way south west, crosses into Mexico, down through Central
    >> America. Wanna see a challenge, the stage that ends in La Pas, Bolivia,
    >> at 3650m (that's a brain numbing 11,975'). The race ends in Rio
    >> Gallegos, Argentina....
    >>
    >> Think of the potential economic benefits to the cities and countries
    >> this would pass through.....

    > Yeah, the bears and moose along Hwy 500 between Happy Valley and
    > Labrador City could sell blueberries along the side of the road.

  6. lowkey

    lowkey Guest

    "C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Oh, I see you've been to Happy Valley. Pemmican anyone? ;)
    >
    > That would be one seriously cool ride though. People have called the TdF
    > "mostly boring" with some mad dashes thrown in.
    > I enjoy it but can see where they're coming from.
    >
    > With a cross-Americas Tour, maybe the appeal would be seeing the ride go
    > through people's "backyards" so to speak. The climatic variation would
    > really be something.
    >
    > *shrug* Who knows... maybe people would still find it boring.
    >
    > I like the suggestion though. La Pas is just a nutty goal. I think we'd
    > lose most of the riders on the way up. (or they'd die trying)
    >
    > How about this: a cycle adventure race. The race doesn't stop - you just
    > keep riding until your team needs rest. Do that across the Americas. No
    > hotels. You get to see the riders camping out.

    I think part of the problem... or opportunity is the failure to utilize
    Gordon Gecko-esque GREED in making these North American Tours. Admittedly
    interest in cycling does not compare to Europe.

    So how to attract interest? $$$$$$! If you offer a big enough prize people
    will watch simply for that reason. Which means all you need is a filthy rich
    dude to pony up enough of a purse to incite that natural Yankee [and to a
    lesser extent, Canuck] greed motivation.

    If I had a gazillion dollars and lived the life of philanthropy, this is
    how I would sponsor a Tour de Canada:

    Nunavut

    Stage 1 Iqualat - 100 km

    Newfoundland

    Stage 2 Goose Bay 100 km

    Stage 3 Gander - St. John's 330 km

    PEI

    Stage 4 Tignish - Murray Harbour 215 km

    Nova Scotia

    Stage 5 Sydney - Truro 313 km

    Stage 6 Dartmouth - Lunenburg 104 km

    New Brunswick

    Stage 7 Sackville - Fredericton 217 km

    Stage 8 Grand Anse - Campbellton 154 km

    Quebec

    Stage 9 Quebec City - Montreal 260 km

    Stage 10 Montreal - Ottawa 201 km

    Ontario

    Stage 11 Kingston - Toronto 252 km

    Stage 12 Sudbury - Timmins 298 km

    Northwest Territories

    Stage 13 Yellowknife - 100 km

    Manitoba

    Stage 14 Winnipeg - Brandon 215 km

    Saskatchewan

    Stage 15 Regina - Saskatoon 257 km

    Yukon

    Stage 16 Whitehorse 100 km

    Alberta

    Stage 17 Edmonton - Calgary 297 km

    Stage 18 Calgary - Banff 129 km

    British Columbia

    Stage 19 Sicamous - Merritt 225 km

    Stage 20 Merritt - Vancouver 269 km

    Total Distance: 4136 km

    1st Place: $1,000,000
    2nd Place: $ 500,000
    3rd Place: $ 250,000
    4th Place: $ 100,000
    5th Place: $ 70,000
    6th Place: $ 40,000
    7th Place: $ 20,000
    8th Place: $ 10,000
    9th Place: $ 7,000
    10th Place: $ 3,000
    Stage Prize:$ 500,000 [$25,000 x 20]

    Total: $2,500,000

    Throw in 10 rest/travel days and you have a month long event.

    For the US I think I would set up 100 km stages in each of the 50 states
    [$10,000 prize per stage] for a 5,000 km race with similar prizes but in
    Yankee dollars.

    Now all I need is the gazillion dollars. Donations welcome.

    --
    'For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall,
    Concert hall

  7. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

    "lowkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Nunavut
    >
    > Stage 1 Iqualat - 100 km

    <snipped the other stages>

    LOL!

    Now, if you want to make it just a touch evil, have that Canadian tour take
    place in February. ;)

  8. lowkey

    lowkey Guest

    "C.J.Patten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "lowkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Nunavut
    >>
    >> Stage 1 Iqualat - 100 km

    > <snipped the other stages>
    >

    > LOL!
    >
    > Now, if you want to make it just a touch evil, have that Canadian tour
    > take place in February. ;)

    :)

    Hey, I had to find some way to include each prov/territory. Nunavut seemed
    fitting as the newest to be the first. I was thinking not of a long trek
    across ice flows but more of an oval sprint in the capital. Same thin with
    Yellowknife and Whitehorse.

    Probably better schedule it for the month of August.

  9. >> Nunavut

    >> Stage 1 Iqualat - 100 km

    ><snipped the other stages>
    >
    >LOL!
    >
    >Now, if you want to make it just a touch evil, have that Canadian tour take
    >place in February. ;)

    But that would conflict with http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/

  10. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Lack of sponsorship, probably due to lack of marketable riders like LA.
    Now if he could be brought on to something like this and keep the
    movement going in a positive direction by creating other marketable
    riders. These types of events might prove to be more sustainable(sp?).

    Ken

  11. lowkey

    lowkey Guest

  12. C.J.Patten

    C.J.Patten Guest

  13. C.J.Patten wrote:[snip]
    > How about this: a cycle adventure race. The race doesn't stop - you just
    > keep riding until your team needs rest. Do that across the Americas. No
    > hotels. You get to see the riders camping out.

    Here you go, time to get training....

    http://www.transamracing.org/

    Racing with out those pesky team cars, carry your own stuff.
    Old Henri Dresange would be proud.

    Scott G.

  14. They will have a recap this Fall/Winter on NBC I think. Over the first
    stage, you get separated by your different speeds. You don't have any
    stage stops to regroup, so all you would see is single riders.