Tour Photos

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi, Everyone and Merry Christmas!

    I haven't got a narrative written up yet, but y'all can view the photos of my recently completed
    Death Valley tour. Basically, I started at Baker, CA, off I15, rode north through Shoshone and into
    the southern entrance to Death Valley. I rode n. and up and over Townes Pass (grunt! grunt!) to a
    rest day at Panamint Springs (day 6). Then, in two days of riding, I pedaled to my finish at Red
    Rocks State Park, CA., where my wife picked me up. This was a completion of a tour we attempted last
    year on our GTT. It was a fabulous, strenuous trip: 305 miles and 16,500 ft. of climbing. I wouldn't
    hesitate to do it again. I highly recommend Death Valley as an "off season" cycling destination.
    Except for Christmas and New Years, the traffic is very light, and one can do tours or day trips
    from a central camp at Furnace Creek. (Note: Use Texas Springs at Furnace Creek--no generators
    allowed! Very quiet. Good Views.) Anyway, more details to follow.

    Cheers,

    Scott

    The link: http://community.webshots.com/user/getbent100

    If you are asked for a password, use "getbent".

    Tags:

  2. Mike Rice

    Mike Rice Guest

    On 25 Dec 2003 14:24:08 -0800, [email protected] (Scott) wrote:

    >Hi, Everyone and Merry Christmas!
    >
    >I haven't got a narrative written up yet, but y'all can view the photos of my recently completed
    >Death Valley tour.

    Nice! What kind of panniers/hardware are you using? Did you make the tail fairing or is it
    available? My TE needs these items.

    Mike

  3. Scott:

    Great photos! Could you tell us which underseat panniers you used and where you got the yellow lycra
    tailfairing? It gives terrific visibility yet doesn't hinder getting on and off the bike. What was
    the total weight of your luggage? What gearing did you use for that load?

    Franny Yerkes

    [email protected] (Scott) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I haven't got a narrative written up yet, but y'all can view the photos of my recently completed
    > Death Valley tour...... The link: http://community.webshots.com/user/getbent100

    > If you are asked for a password, use "getbent".

  4. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    Scott,

    Nice photos as always. Can I assume that the Tour Easy rides a bit faster than the GTT? How would
    you compare climbing with each?

    Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks for the comments everyone. Larry is right. ERRC has the goodies: an underseat rack and
    the waterproof Lloongg panniers--really fantastic gear. They did not change the handling of the
    bike at all.

    In general, I found the bike to climb 2--3 mph faster than the GTT though sometimes not so much. As
    a solo rider, I had to carry everything. Overall speeds for a given day were a good deal faster. My
    best day, which still had over 2,000ft. of climbing, I was able to AVERAGE 14 mph. Many times I was
    cruising in the 17--18 mph. range.

    I'll post a full narrative w/technical points later in the month.

    Cheers,

    Scott

  6. Jealous... I was there briefly in late September, and now have a picture of Zabriskie Point as my
    wallpaper.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/