tourer question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Potter, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    okay so heres a silly question

    ive recently joined my local CTC and I notice that all the touring bikes that come along have
    cantilever brakes, so my question is why don't they put v-brakes on tourers (or is it just cos of
    the brake levers not being compatible?) they seem so much more powerful on my mountain bike compared
    to cantis? Mark

    Tags:

  2. Greetings,

    you answered your own question about compatibility. Shimano STI's don't pull the same amount of
    cable to work V's as effectively. A few companies have produced adapters that help, but these tend
    to be a bit of a bodge. Dawes specced them on their 1-down series of tourers for a while, but I
    think they gave up. That said, Avid now make mechanical disc brakes that work with STI's, and I've
    seen them on a few cyclo-cross bikes, so maybe they're the way of the future. On tourers you'd have
    to make sure they don't interfere with pannier racks though.

    T.T.F.N.

    SPENNY

    "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > okay so heres a silly question
    >
    > ive recently joined my local CTC and I notice that all the touring bikes that come along have
    > cantilever brakes, so my question is why don't they
    put
    > v-brakes on tourers (or is it just cos of the brake levers not being compatible?) they seem so
    > much more powerful on my mountain bike compared
    > cantis? Mark

  3. On tourers you'd have to make sure they
    > don't interfere with pannier racks though.

    and maybe the disks would be susceptible to a bang on an airplane etc.??

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Mark Potter wrote:
    > okay so heres a silly question
    >
    > ive recently joined my local CTC and I notice that all the touring bikes that come along have
    > cantilever brakes, so my question is why don't they put v-brakes on tourers (or is it just cos of
    > the brake levers not being compatible?) they seem so much more powerful on my mountain bike
    > compared to cantis?

    Have a look at the Dawes Sardar tourer and you'll find V-brakes. And it's not the only one. I think
    tourers often have cantis because that's what people expect to find on tourers, and a large chunk of
    the market are conservative. The Sardar, being "radical" (i.e., it has 26" wheels and a compact
    frame and isn't dark green) is presumably aimed at slightly more experimental folk!

    My tourer, a Streetmachine GT recumbent, has V brakes as standard. As extra cost options you can
    have hydraulic rim brakes or a choice of 4 different disc systems. Cantis don't feature.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > My tourer, a Streetmachine GT recumbent, has V brakes as standard.

    So does my (cough) 26" wheeled flat barred tourer (cough).

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    W K wrote:

    > So does my (cough) 26" wheeled flat barred tourer (cough).

    So, since it doesn't have drops *or* 700c wheels, it's a pretty damn radical piece of engineering by
    typical touring standards! What's *really* different from Standard Touring Spec about my
    Streetmachine, however, is it's a really bright colour! ;-) (fire engine red does seem to be
    allowable in these progressive times...)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > (fire engine red does seem to be allowable in these progressive times...)

    Friend had that on his (otherwise trad) tourer back in 1990-ish...

    cheers, clive

  8. Mike K Smith

    Mike K Smith Guest

    Clive George wrote:

    > "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > (fire engine red does seem to be allowable in these progressive times...)
    >
    > Friend had that on his (otherwise trad) tourer back in 1990-ish...
    I ordered a custom-built touring bike in 1980 in Post-Office Red (with white head tube and seat-tube
    panel and gold lining on the lugs of course).

    I'm sure there were lots of trad tourers in bright colours in those days.

  9. On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:46:35 +0100, "Clive George"

    >"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> (fire engine red does seem to be allowable in these progressive times...)
    >
    >Friend had that on his (otherwise trad) tourer back in 1990-ish...

    This morning I gave my 1985 Harry Hall tourer its first post-Thatcher clean and discovered that it
    too is bright red...

    David