Touring America next summer... several ?s

thefridgeisempt

Jun 23, 2005
Howdy. I'm new to touring, and certainly naive. My buddy and I are planning to cross America next summer, San Fran to DC. We are trying to do it at the lowest possible cost.

First question... which bike? I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between racing bikes and touring bikes. I had my eye on a Fuji Roubaix, but I admit its really only because it has a triple ring chain gear and is more affordable than other comparable bikes ($1300 retail). My feelings won't be hurt if you inform me that this is the last bike in the world I would want to take across America.

Second, sleeping accomodations? Is it a rediculous idea to ask locals if we can pitch a tent in their yard? How about pull off and set up 50 feet off the road? Motel expenses would add up freakishly fast, so this is the one snag we are trying to avoid the most.

Third, how much should we budget for food per day? This one I am completely in the dark on.

We are planning on loading up and strapping on loaded panniers all over our bikes and make it a truly self-made tour. We are teaming up with the Alzheimer's Association to raise money for a cure.

Anybody want to donate one or two cents a mile?:)

Any thoughts or ideas or even better personal experiences would be much much appreciated. Also, any other questions I may be forgetting or may not be thinking of that you might realize need to be answered or we die... please, have at it. Thanks a ton.

The Fuji Roubaix would be a bad choice for a touring bike. Here are some differences between racing and touring bikes: racing bikes have caliper brakes that will not allow the fatter tires needed when carrying a load. Racing bikes are built too light to carry a load. Touring bikes typically have cantilever brakes, longer wheelbases for stability and heel clearance, lower gearing, and are built stronger. Even though a bike like the Roubaix has a triple front chainring, it does not have low enough gearing when climbing a hill fully loaded.

A racing bike might be okay if you were going to stay in hotels every night, but if you are carrying camping gear you will definitely need a real touring bike. Probably the best stock touring bike available in the USA is the Trek 520 - it has a mountain cassette and rear derailleur (lower gearing), V-brakes and bar-end shifters rather than STI shifters and cantilevers (more stopping power and simpler shifters) and a steel frame (less harsh of a ride). All the bike needs is a front rack and 2 sets of panniers.

As far as cheap accomodations, from San Francisco to the Rocky Mountains there are plenty of campgrounds and lots of possibilities for "stealth" camping (where you just camp off in the trees for free). Once you get into the middle of America, it gets a little harder but sometimes people will let you camp in their fields etc.

thanks... that definately answered some big questions.

anybody have any recommendations about food rationing/budgeting?

Ride the American Discover Trail. Go to the web site and email the State coordinators and see if they can help you find accommodations along the way. Just write a journal as others have done.

http://www.discoverytrail.org/

Get a touring bike and a Bob Trailer.

I rode across the states from Seattle to DC in '97. The weather was nice and cool going across the northern states, and incredibly scenic. Campgrounds were plentiful, but we (there were about 20 of us on the ride) also stayed in the yards of quite a few churches and YMCA's, especially in the mid-west. Most churches will let you camp out in their yard or basement - and if you have a cause you'll be even better off. In my experience travelling across the country on a bike, people are curious and friendly about what you are doing and why.

As far as budgeting for food, it depends on how you plan on eating. If you bring a camp stove and plan on doing most of your own cooking, then you could probably get by on $10-20 a day (bare minimum). I've done this kind of touring before, where money is tight. We ate a ton of granola, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and pasta. If you plan on eating one meal out a day, then plan on spending about $25 or more a day.

Good luck in the planning stages, it is certainly one of the most memorable things I've done in my life, and the absolute BEST way to see the country.

Sarah

thefridgeisempt said:
Howdy. I'm new to touring, and certainly naive. My buddy and I are planning to cross America next summer, San Fran to DC. We are trying to do it at the lowest possible cost.

First question... which bike? I'm having trouble distinguishing the difference between racing bikes and touring bikes. I had my eye on a Fuji Roubaix, but I admit its really only because it has a triple ring chain gear and is more affordable than other comparable bikes ($1300 retail). My feelings won't be hurt if you inform me that this is the last bike in the world I would want to take across America.

Second, sleeping accomodations? Is it a rediculous idea to ask locals if we can pitch a tent in their yard? How about pull off and set up 50 feet off the road? Motel expenses would add up freakishly fast, so this is the one snag we are trying to avoid the most.

Third, how much should we budget for food per day? This one I am completely in the dark on.

We are planning on loading up and strapping on loaded panniers all over our bikes and make it a truly self-made tour. We are teaming up with the Alzheimer's Association to raise money for a cure.

Anybody want to donate one or two cents a mile?:)

Any thoughts or ideas or even better personal experiences would be much much appreciated. Also, any other questions I may be forgetting or may not be thinking of that you might realize need to be answered or we die... please, have at it. Thanks a ton.