Touring and pedals

Lizbids

Dec 13, 2006
Hey everyone--I'm looking to do the TransAm tour this summer, and I bought some LOOK (keo) pedals and a nice pair of Carnac road shoes. I haven't attached anything yet (my bike's due to arrive this week), but some tourers have been pushing me more towards mountain bike shoes. Can anyone give me a pro and con about using Road shoes vs using MTB shoes? I only have a few days left until I can return them, so I'd appreciate any help and opinions.

Thanks! :confused:

xilios

May 2, 2004
Main reason for me is one less pair of shoes. Using MTB shoes you can walk around with, but Road cycling shoes I think it would be more difficult.
My wife and I normaly take MTB shoes and a pair of sandles for warmer weather.
cheers

daveornee

Sep 18, 2003
Lizbids said:
Hey everyone--I'm looking to do the TransAm tour this summer, and I bought some LOOK (keo) pedals and a nice pair of Carnac road shoes. I haven't attached anything yet (my bike's due to arrive this week), but some tourers have been pushing me more towards mountain bike shoes. Can anyone give me a pro and con about using Road shoes vs using MTB shoes? I only have a few days left until I can return them, so I'd appreciate any help and opinions.

Thanks! :confused:
I agree with the MTB shoes as nice for touring. I addition to the walk-ability of them I find them easier to deal with touring loads/balance when mounting and dismounting/dabbing (putting a foot down at low speeds to help mantain/regain balance).
It also seems easier to find new cleats or pedals in out-of-the-way-places.
I started using them on the touring tandem and made the switch on the single tourer. Once I made the switch I never wanted to go back. I still use road pedals and road shoes/road cleats for my pure road bicycle, but I have been tempted more than once to make the transformation total. Although I am still quite proficient in the off the bike duck-walk, I like walking easily across rocks, mud, or a tile floor that MTB shoes offers.

Miles2go

Mar 2, 2005
Nice selection. I love LOOKs and Carnacs for road use. I've been using that combo for ten years. Not for touring though.

A large number of touring cyclist wear Shimano or Lake sandals that have recessed cleat mounts. This is what Nancy and I have been using on all of our tours over the last 5 or 6 years. They look almost normal for wearing around town and since they are sandals, they dry very quicky even after being soaked. For cold or wet weather you just throw on a pair of waterproof socks and you're golden! :)
Here's what I'm talking about: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1218

Have a slendid time on the TransAm!! :D

Cheers,

Ron
www.fullyloadedtouring.com

Lizbids

Dec 13, 2006
Thanks, Miles! I've been looking at sandals too, but perhaps the shoe will be more versatile? I bought some pedals yesterday, and now I"ll have to head into Manhattan to find some shoes to go along with them!

MidBunchLurker

May 2, 2003
Like everyone else here, I also tour with mtb shoes and pedals. Much more versatile, and the double-sided clip-in in more convenient when you're fully loaded.