Touring and strange behaviour from motorists

Buck

Guest
I have just ridden a trike over to Jersey to deliver it to a new owner.
I had a very strange experience, first of all the ferry port, very nice
reception, sent to the front of the lane, first on the ferry, "just leave
it there sir, we will secure it before we set off", hmmm, arrive at Jersey,
return to the trike and sure enough, nicely secured to that no dammage can
occur.
First off the ferry, through customs, off on the roads, now the strange bit.

Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out, riding
around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would recomend
anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey, not much of it
but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.
--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Buck wrote:
> Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out, riding
> around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would recomend
> anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey, not much of it
> but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.

Do they have low speed limits?
Does this create a 'whole different road experience'
Drivers dont expect to be able to race around at 45mph+ in the towns and 70mph+
on country roads and so are more open to other slow-ish road users.

On 06/16/2005 12:13:36 stupot <***@nospamwowo.com> wrote:

> Buck wrote:

>> Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out,
>> riding around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would
>> recomend anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey,
>> not much of it but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.

> Do they have low speed limits? Does this create a 'whole different road
> experience' Drivers dont expect to be able to race around at 45mph+ in the
> towns and 70mph+ on country roads and so are more open to other slow-ish
> road users.

Yes, in the country lanes the speed limits can be as low as 15mph for
motorised vehicles. A lot of people cycle as well, so that helps, and
now they are increasing parking charges it is expected that a lot more
people will cycle.

--

Buck <ian@*remove*trikesandstuff.co.uk> wrote:

> Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out,
> riding around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would
> recomend anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey, not
> much of it but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.

Thanks for that - it's useful to know as we were thinking about going
there for a holiday with the trikes at some point - as a long term fan
of Gerald Durrell, I've always wanted to see Jersey zoo...

Sounds as if the island's proximity to France is reflected in the
attitude to cyclists.

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

On 06/16/2005 13:27:54 [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote:

> Buck <ian@*remove*trikesandstuff.co.uk> wrote:

>> Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out,
>> riding around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would
>> recomend anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey,
>> not much of it but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.

> Thanks for that - it's useful to know as we were thinking about going
> there for a holiday with the trikes at some point - as a long term fan of
> Gerald Durrell, I've always wanted to see Jersey zoo...

> Sounds as if the island's proximity to France is reflected in the attitude
> to cyclists.

I have decided to go back in a couple of months for a proper tour around, with
my customer as a local guide.

--

Buck wrote:
> I have just ridden a trike over to Jersey to deliver it to a new owner.
> I had a very strange experience, first of all the ferry port, very nice
> reception, sent to the front of the lane, first on the ferry, "just leave
> it there sir, we will secure it before we set off", hmmm, arrive at Jersey,
> return to the trike and sure enough, nicely secured to that no dammage can
> occur.
> First off the ferry, through customs, off on the roads, now the strange bit.
>
> Drivers are totally courteous, get to a t-junction, driver waves me out, riding
> around, drivers give me space when I hand signal, in all I would recomend
> anyone wanting a few days away on the bike/trike, try Jersey, not much of it
> but it was actually pleasant to cycle there.
> --
>
> Buck

Jersey Tourism do a good cycle route map and there is at least one book
with cycle tours in it that can be got from Boudins in Sand Street.
There are some off road shared routes along St. Aubin's Bay and up the
railway walk to Corbierre which are realtive flat. The centre and north
of the island are rather more hilly and the eastern side roads are very
busy in holiday time.

Trikes cause a stir, I took mine over recently and it certainly gets
you noticed.
It is a bike friendly Island and has been for a quite a while, max
speed of 40 helps but there are a lot os 15 or 20 mph green lanes.
Signposting isn't always upto uk standards though.

Mad Monk on an ICE T