Touring bike as a commuter?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Feb 5, 2005.

  1. I'm currently using a Trek 1200 as a commuter, I went for the trek
    'cause I could put a rack on it and therefore panniers.

    What are the pros of using a tourer as a commuter as opposed to my Trek,
    which currently is doing the job just fine?
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

    Tags:

  2. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    My tourer is my commuter and its great. I'd have mixed feelings if I didn't have secure parking, its unique so harder to replace.

  3. aeek wrote:

    > [email protected] Wrote:
    > > I'm currently using a Trek 1200 as a commuter, I went for the trek
    > > 'cause I could put a rack on it and therefore panniers.
    > >
    > > What are the pros of using a tourer as a commuter as opposed to my
    > > Trek,
    > > which currently is doing the job just fine?
    > > --
    > > Cheers
    > > Euan

    > My tourer is my commuter and its great. I'd have mixed feelings if I
    > didn't have secure parking, its unique so harder to replace.

    Same here - secure parking is guud. Tourer pros over a road racer:
    - More likely to have attachments and clearance for mudguards and
    panniers (front and rear)
    - More heel clearance for panniers.
    - More sturdy and probably wider tyres - good for potholes, wear &
    tear etc.

    But if the Trek is doing the job for you, then no problem!