touring bike for long haul teenager

southbound123

Mar 4, 2007
I don’t know much about bicycles, but have been reading the forums and talking to LBS folks. Have done so much research that now I am totally confused.

I need to get a touring bike for my son, age 14 (5’ 7” 135#), who will be riding from Seattle from San Francisco (1000 miles in 25 days) this summer. He will be part of a small group but carrying his own gear. In addition, his real goal is to go across the USA next summer or the one thereafter. Part of the challenge is he grew four inches this year and I’d like to get a bike that fits him now but that can be used next year too.

I narrowed the search down to something like Trek 520 or the Cannondale T800. I also looked into the Jamis Aurora, Bianchi Volpe and the REI Randonee. Along the way I stumbled upon the Surly frame too. As I'm sure you are well aware, finding touring bikes in stores in the correct size is problematic. So we're taking a big gamble here.

Conventional wisdom is to stick with a steel frame. However, the T800 is Aluminum and seems to be considered a credible contender. Is a frame repair really something to worry about?

You experts talk about swapping out components, starting with lower gearing on the Trek 520. Others recommend cantilever brakes for better stopping power. My son wants a horizontal handlebar, so we have to switch that out. Presumably, the shifters then go too. And it seems that a Brooks B17 saddle is required for the long haul rider. 36 spoke wheels, Armadillo tires, etc, etc. Should I really just start with the Surly frame and add all the components?

Last year he rode an older, smaller bike for two weeks with just rear panniers. Do we need to add front panniers now too?

I know there is no one answer that works for everyone, but I need to stop researching and buy something so he can get used to the bike and break in the saddle.

Any specific advice is sincerely welcomed.

Thanks.

southbound123 said:
I don’t know much about bicycles, but have been reading the forums and talking to LBS folks. Have done so much research that now I am totally confused.

I need to get a touring bike for my son, age 14 (5’ 7” 135#), who will be riding from Seattle from San Francisco (1000 miles in 25 days) this summer. He will be part of a small group but carrying his own gear. In addition, his real goal is to go across the USA next summer or the one thereafter. Part of the challenge is he grew four inches this year and I’d like to get a bike that fits him now but that can be used next year too.

I narrowed the search down to something like Trek 520 or the Cannondale T800. I also looked into the Jamis Aurora, Bianchi Volpe and the REI Randonee. Along the way I stumbled upon the Surly frame too. As I'm sure you are well aware, finding touring bikes in stores in the correct size is problematic. So we're taking a big gamble here.

Conventional wisdom is to stick with a steel frame. However, the T800 is Aluminum and seems to be considered a credible contender. Is a frame repair really something to worry about?

You experts talk about swapping out components, starting with lower gearing on the Trek 520. Others recommend cantilever brakes for better stopping power. My son wants a horizontal handlebar, so we have to switch that out. Presumably, the shifters then go too. And it seems that a Brooks B17 saddle is required for the long haul rider. 36 spoke wheels, Armadillo tires, etc, etc. Should I really just start with the Surly frame and add all the components?

Last year he rode an older, smaller bike for two weeks with just rear panniers. Do we need to add front panniers now too?

I know there is no one answer that works for everyone, but I need to stop researching and buy something so he can get used to the bike and break in the saddle.

Thanks.
Hello Southbound123, From the bikes you have listed money seems not to be your main concern. Any long distance loaded touring for someone of any age requires the bike that will handle it. I would suggest The Cannondale T800 because it comes with all the features required for loaded touring, low gearing, rear rack, 35mm tires and a decent saddle. You only need to add water bottle cages and fenders. Try to stay away from horizontal bars, more hand positions on the stock drop bars. 1000 miles is a long way without being able to switch hand positions. If all his equipment will fit into rear panniers just add a front handle bar bag but if you need more room then add front panniers. More important is this bike works great for just riding or commuting and if he outgrows it you can easily sell a use touring bike, there are many who are looking for them.

Thanks for the advise. I will drill down on the T800.

As for the handlebars, he insists on the horizontal bars. So we will add bar ends to give him some hand positions.

Also, you mentioned fenders. Are they important for touring ? He will be riding in the Pacific Northwest, which is known for it's percipitation.

Thanks again.

southbound123 said:
Thanks for the advise. I will drill down on the T800.

As for the handlebars, he insists on the horizontal bars. So we will add bar ends to give him some hand positions.

Also, you mentioned fenders. Are they important for touring ? He will be riding in the Pacific Northwest, which is known for it's percipitation.

Thanks again.
If you are going to change the bars this would change the riding geometry of the bike and could lead to other riding comfort problems as well as changing shifters. If you are going to modify this bike to that extent then maybe it is the wrong bike. It sounds to me like he wants a hybrid. Check out the TREK 7.2/7.3 . Front and rear racks can be mounted on it and it has lower gearing than most road bikes. The only reservation would be the 32 spoke rims but he is light enough that they would probly be strong enough. Yes to fenders and remember a bell and lights.

I agree, keep the drop handle bars. I wanted to do the same thing when I was in the premature stages of buying my first bike. ( I am 14 also) But if you think about it, drop handle bars aren't that much different than flats. I think that drop handle bars would be a much much much better choice. Be sure to tell him that this is coming from a kid his age. :p

southbound123 said:

Thanks.
Hi guys,

(Just by the way, i'm 15) I ride about 40 kms on a mtb with slicks and flat bars a day to and from school. After about 12 kms, my wrists start getting sore. The next bike i'll buy will be with drops, I'm 100% sure of that.

southbound123 said:

If, by chance, his dislike of drop bars has to do with not having brakes close at hand with his hands on the tops of the bars, consider these:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html#cross

My wife's Aurora has them, and although she mostly rides on the hoods now, I think they were a reassuring feature when she first started with drop bars.

As for fenders, full coverage fenders (e.g., Planet Bike Freddy Fenders Hardcore, my model of choice) are not that pricey and well worth it. They keep water and mud off of you, the frame, and off people riding behind you, assuming you have a long enough mud flap. (FYI, very few off-the-rack fenders have sufficiently long mud flaps, so consider adding that. A variety of do-it-yourself options are described on the web.)