Touring Bike

Scotty1981

Feb 25, 2005
A friend of mine is looking to ride around the South Island of New Zealand, and was basically after some idea's for a good touring bike, his budget will be around $3000 Aus or bout $2200 US for the bike, he also intends to use a bike trailer to carry his camping equipment etc. Any idea's on suitable bikes would be apreciated.

Scotty1981 said:
A friend of mine is looking to ride around the South Island of New Zealand, and was basically after some idea's for a good touring bike, his budget will be around $3000 Aus or bout $2200 US for the bike, he also intends to use a bike trailer to carry his camping equipment etc. Any idea's on suitable bikes would be apreciated.

Stretch the budget just a touch and get a Bruce Gordon

Scotty1981 said:

I don't know brand availability in Western Oz, but Trek 520 with a lower geared crank or a Canondale T2000 are good starting places in the USA.
Bruce Gordon makes a couple of very nice set ups starting with the BLT.
I have used the BOB trailer, but have switched back to panniers. Trailer is easier to pack, but it's weight and other logistical issues make racks and panniers better for me.

Why get an off the shelf job when you can get one handmade to suit? If you want a good tourer, get a Contarino - hand made in Perth/WA. Aldo + Sats did me up a nice steel frame tourer and you wont find better. Quantum Bike Manufacturers in North Perth.

till

I agree with the last poster. DO some research into what the tourer 'brands' are offering, analyse what you need (as well as what you don't) and have a local manufacturer build the bike to your specs (both riding and equipment), so that you have exactly what you need.

Enjoy the shopping and the riding!

Till, how much did it cost to get it custom made??? Sounds like a good idea! What sorta group set are you running??

daveornee said:
I don't know brand availability in Western Oz, but Trek 520 with a lower geared crank or a Canondale T2000 are good starting places in the USA.

Love my T2000, incidentally, and have known several people with the 520's, so I'd second Dave's opinion there.

Incidentally, Dave (and decidedly off-topic), I never thanked you for building up those 7sp mtb wheels for me many, many moons ago. Life got squirrely and hectic and I just forgot . . . but the wheels stayed straight and true no matter what came their way. Thanks ;)

Scotty1981 said:
Till, how much did it cost to get it custom made??? Sounds like a good idea! What sorta group set are you running??
The frame is Reynolds 853 mains/725 stays, and that was around $1500. You can save around $300 by going for Reynolds 525(520?). The rest of the bike was imported/ebayed: Deore hubs, RD & crankset (48/36/26), xt parallel push brakes, trabel angents, ultegra FD, da bar end shifters & brake levers (although those new dia-compe levers for drops would probably be cheaper and better), salsa bell lap flared drops, Mavic t520 rims and tubus front and rear rack (cromo steel).

Personally I wouldnt tour on ali, after seeing what happens to it on my last tour (china, laos & cambodia). Im pretty down on STI as well for tourers.

Cannondale T2000s might be ok, if you can put up with the above complaints but in aus they were specced with crazy parts, despite the hi price: tektro and wellgo! Oh and that foot overlap problem with the front wheel...

till

Scotty1981 said:
Thanx will get him to look into building a bike right for him. Preferably steel framed.
Say hi from me =) They're building a roadie in there for me ATM, but a cervelo, sadly not another contarino!

till

Scotty1981 said:
I have a Rivendell Atlantis that I really like. Its steel, has a great ride and is very comfortable. It is made for touring and will carry a load easily without the need for a trailer. I can ride mine seemingly forever