touring bikes for small women

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by katgirl, Nov 22, 2004.

1. katgirl

katgirl New Member

I'm a small woman about to buy a touring bike which I plan to use for touring and commuting. I've found the Randonneur really comfortable, except for the brakes/handlebars - my hands are too small to brake comfortably. I've been told that the bike can be modified to bring the brakes closer to the handlebars, so this seems like an option. I haven't ridden the Fuji yet (I'm in the ACT and am coming up to Sydney to ride it this week) but it seems to have smaller top and seat tubes than the Randonneur. If there are any women riding either of these bikes it would be great to hear what you think.:)

Tags:

2. geoffs

geoffs New Member

Hiya katgirl

Checkout Trek, they do a few bikes that are designed for women. Another good place to check is the archives at http://search.bikelist.org/ and do a search for small frame and see what comes up. There all all sorts of tricks for making levers closer to the bar to make them easier to reach.
    If you are a keen cyclist, it might be worth getting measured up for a frame by Steve Hogg at pedal pushers (he advertizes in Bicycling Australia magazine) and get Wayne Kotzur to build up a frame for you.
    My wife is somewhat vertically challenged and has a Klien panache as a road bike, a Dean for an MTB and we tour on a tandem.

Cheers

Geoff

3. photojtn

photojtn New Member

Hi Katgirl, My wife just got the Trek 1500WSD 47cm and she loves it (shes 4'11") got a rack and the panniers ready to go. :)

4. greene

greene New Member

I'm not sure what brands of bikes you can get in your country, but I have found some small bikes I've been happy with.

I have a 2002 17" Trek 520 that I really like.
    I have a 2001 13" REI Novara Safari mountain touring bike. It's an aluminum frame and I find it a bit long.
    I recently found a NEW older 13.5" REI Novara Randonee steel frameset. It's their road touring bike but this little one takes 26" wheels. It's pretty neat, a mtn bike frame with downtube shifter brazeons....:) I want to build it up to replace the Safari.

I also have a 42cm Surly Pacer that makes a nice sport-touring bike.

5. greene

greene New Member

My 42cm Surly Pacer has STI brake levers with a shorter reach for smaller hands. They are the Shimano R600 (Ultegra quality) 9 speed.

6. jboalick

jboalick New Member

You may also want to look at the bike friday petite bikes. The Crusoe or New world tourist and others all come in petite sizes.

7. denisegoldberg

denisegoldberg New Member

I also recommend that you check out Bike Friday (http://www.bikefriday.com). Their bikes are custom-built, so you can easily get a bike that fits you well. Their pricing is dependent on the bike and the components that you choose, so you will have a certain amount of flexibility there.

I rode my Bike Friday Air Glide across the United States in 2002.
    Here's a picture of me and my bike in front of the Grand Tetons:
    http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/11255349-M-1.jpg

And for more information on my tour and my experiences with that bike, go to http://denise2002xc.crazyguyonabike.com

8. coastal

coastal New Member

Hi,
    I am looking at the same bike next week, I wasn't aware that the frame had rack mounts, even better.

9. till!

till! New Member

You can get the surly long haul trucker in some fairly small sizes, and the best thing is then you can build it up with any parts you like.

Ive got bar end shifters on my tourer and really like them, you can also get small-reach drop levers to suit your hands as well.

till

10. daveornee

daveornee New Member

As another poster already mentioned Shimano R600 is set to handle smaller hands. They are STI so you will be dealing with cable pull issues for brakes. They work for Canti but need a a leverage device if you are going for V style.
    Another poster already mentioned Surly Long Distance Trucker as a frame and fork option. If you have a Surly dealer near you they are worth the look. The smaller frame sizes use 26" Mountain Bicycle wheels. They are a good value.