Touring/camping France

archierob

Guest
If you cycle/camp toured in France in the last year could you tell me
what was the average camping fee per night. I know many villages and
towns have their own municipal sites - nothing fancy, which suits me.
Have stayed in Formula 1 hotels in the past and as long as you ride
with a mate they are fantastic value.

The intended tour would be solo - well at the present.

Cheers.

It varies quite a lot.

The municipal sites which proliferate throughout France are usually the best
and also the cheapest.

Also please note that a lot of the municipal sites don't show up in camping
site guides ( like the Michelin Camping Caravanning guide). But an amazing
number of quite small town and villages have them. If you are planning a
route just do a web search --- like "Camping Beaulieu" and it will often pull
out a camp site in the village you are looking at

The most I paid last year was Eu 18 in Narbonne ( a private site) -- but every
pitch had its own"sanitaire" complete with shower, toilet, wash basin and
electricity!

Most Municipals will be Eu 5 upwards to about 12. But if you are in a touristy
area and in high season, then the price eases up. The most expensive
Municipal site I stayed in last year cost me Eu 16 per night --- that was
very unusual indeed but the site was quite immaculate and very secure and the
staff their were excellent! I think the cheapest was in Cezy at Euro4!

All private sites will be Eu 12 plus -- and you will find generally that they
are nowhere nearly as good as municipal sites!

A bit of fluent French is extremely handy when travelling in France but if you
are travelling alone ( as I do) you will be undistinguishable from the locals
by day 3.

By the way I have never booked ahead on any of my trips in Europe and never
had a problem -- mind you, I do go off early in the season to avoid peak times

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

news:D[email protected]...

archierob wrote:
> If you cycle/camp toured in France in the last year could you tell me
> what was the average camping fee per night. I know many villages and
> towns have their own municipal sites - nothing fancy, which suits me.
> Have stayed in Formula 1 hotels in the past and as long as you ride
> with a mate they are fantastic value.
>
> The intended tour would be solo - well at the present.
>
> Cheers.

Last year I paid from 3.50 to 6 Euro for municipal sites and from 5 to
10 for commercial sites - I refused to pay more than that. I found that
the cheaper the site, the more pleasant it was to stay at. Free,
off-site camping is also a good option in many places.

archierob wrote:

> The intended tour would be solo - well at the present.

Be aware that the minimum charge at some commercial sites is for two
people and a car and many won't give a discount for one person and a
bike - worth asking though.

"archierob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> If you cycle/camp toured in France in the last year could you tell me
> what was the average camping fee per night. I know many villages and
> towns have their own municipal sites - nothing fancy, which suits me.
> Have stayed in Formula 1 hotels in the past and as long as you ride
> with a mate they are fantastic value.
>
> The intended tour would be solo - well at the present.
>
> Cheers.

I paid anywhere between €3.50 and €20.00 the municipal camp sites were at
the cheaper end of the spectrum and were rarely more than €10.00. All sites
were very good. Some site owners went out of their way to make sure that I
was OK. One site owner's family bough me beer, another site owner gave me a
bottle of wine to celebrate the end of my Channel to Med ride. Just beware
of the camp site 'elastic kilometer'. Several sites were much further away
than their stated distance. Apparently it's a frequently used ploy to hook
passing trade. One site that was allegedly 900m away was actually 6km!

Many of the sites have visiting bakers so fresh bread and croissants can be
had without having to leave the sites mmmmmm..... pain au chocolat,
mmmmmm..... croissants.......

Shame I've booked a mini camping tour in the Benelux countries this year.
France will have to wait until next year....