Touring Cape Breton and PEI

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Climbit, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Climbit

    Climbit Guest

    I'm going solo cycle touring in July planning to spend around a week on Cape Breton island starting
    from North Sydney (Cabot Trail and Ceilidh Trail probably), and then bus/train/ferry to PEI for a
    second week (thinking of the western and central parts). I'm looking for any advice on things to
    see, places to stop, good B&Bs or campsites (I'll have minimal camping gear with
    me), and scenic roads to ride.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Climbit wrote:

    > I'm going solo cycle touring in July planning to spend around a week on Cape Breton island
    > starting from North Sydney (Cabot Trail and Ceilidh Trail probably), and then bus/train/ferry to
    > PEI for a second week (thinking of the western and central parts). I'm looking for any advice on
    > things to see, places to stop, good B&Bs or campsites (I'll have minimal camping gear with
    > me), and scenic roads to ride.

    I haven't been cycling on Cape Breton Island since 1998, so I don't have the latest info, but try
    this: "http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/nstour/cabottra.html"

    I'm more familiar with eastern PEI, there is less traffic in the area Wood Islands - Montague-
    Souris. One place to avoid is Cavendish - that is extemely crowded. The south coast (Rts 19 and
    10) from Charlottetown to Summerside used to be nice (last time I was there was 1996)

    I've cycled on parts of the rail-trails (old railroad lines). Some parts were good, some were
    rough- but there have been a lot of improvements in the last few years to it. The goal was to
    have a good bike trail all the way from Elmira (East Point) to Tignish (Cape North) plus some
    branch trails.

    You could also cycle from Port Hastings (end of Ceilidh Trail) to PEI ferry at Caribou, See:
    "http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/nstour/sunriset.html"

    --

    David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
    http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I strongly recommend not riding the Cabot trail in July or August. The number of campers on these
    narrow steep roads makes riding unsafe for everyone.

    If you have the time take the ferry from North Sydney to Newfoundland. The ride north along the west
    coast from Port aux Basques is beautiful with little traffic..