Touring clubs in Sydney

D&M Johnston

Guest
Hi there fellow cyclists,

I've been looking around for a club in Sydney that dedicates itself to cycle touring but after
looking at the current clubs around Sydney, they all seem to dedicate to the sports side of cycling
such as road racing,track & MTB racing .

I've noticed that Victoria has many touring based clubs that cater for those who want to get into
touring like I do and have many diferent types of touring rides whether one day or multi day rides,
also some regional parts of NSW has touring style clubs as well.But not so in Sydney except for some
of the BUG groups that exist but none in around the Campbelltown/Macarther region.

Has anyone any knowledge of clubs I could contact or have a look at that might meet my needs? or
possible would like to start one? I want to meet people who have toured extensively or have done a
few tours to get some knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

cheers!!

Dave J.

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:21:11 +1000, D&M johnston wrote:

> I've been looking around for a club in Sydney that dedicates itself to cycle touring ... (snipped)

Start your own club! You can count me in as a member ;) (Although I live far from Sydney)

I don't know of any touring clubs either. There was one in Newcastle I read about, but I don't
remember anything about it except that it exists and has a web-page.

cheers, -kt

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:21:11 +1000, D&M johnston wrote:

> I've been looking around for a club in Sydney that dedicates itself to
cycle
> touring ... (snipped)

Have you tried muggaccinos? http://www.muggaccinos.com/ From what I've seen, they typically organise
single day and weekend rides of ~100km length. I imagine many of their members also organise longer
(duration and distance) rides as well.

Regards,

Suzy

Dave I belong to the Sutherland Bushwalking Club which is an outdoor club, walking, kayaking etc and
has a cycling section. We used to do many other activities before all the public liability insurance
problems surfaced. We do various grades of rides varying from short day rides to weekend rides to
week long rides all around the Sydney area and NSW , including your area, and sometimes interstate.
This year we had a week long ride in the New England area and another week long ride in the Bright,
Victoria area. Sometimes we have car camping weekends, sometimes we stay in pubs/motels and
ocassionly we have camping style tours such as the Snowy Grand Loop etc. The pace is always fairly
gentle, around 15-20k/hr over the day although many like to have a burst at some stage to get the
heart going . We always have morning tea stops and take our lunch in panniers etc. We are a social
touring group interested in riding safely and most of us have hi-bred bikes for comfort. If
interested contact me or have a look at our web site: http://go.to/sbc-page and go to the Activities
page to get an idea of what we do. You will have to be a member to ride with us though. Carl "D&M
johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi there fellow cyclists,
>
> I've been looking around for a club in Sydney that dedicates itself to
cycle
> touring but after looking at the current clubs around Sydney, they all
seem
> to dedicate to the sports side of cycling such as road racing,track & MTB racing .
>
> I've noticed that Victoria has many touring based clubs that cater for
those
> who want to get into touring like I do and have many diferent types of touring rides whether one
> day or multi day rides, also some regional parts of NSW has touring style clubs as well.But not so
> in Sydney except for
some
> of the BUG groups that exist but none in around the Campbelltown/Macarther region.
>
> Has anyone any knowledge of clubs I could contact or have a look at that might meet my needs? or
> possible would like to start one? I want to meet people who have toured extensively or have done a
> few tours to get some knowledge and experience. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
>
> cheers!!
>
> Dave J.

Ah, pretty neat. Maybe there is or should be a way to get your lot hooked into Bicycle NSW so you
can cross advertise each others stuff. As a cyclist I would never have thought to look under
bushwalking for kayak or cycle related stuff - you certainly have a lot to offer.
PS do you do kayak training stuff or is that achieved elsewhere?

cheers

Col

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:50:51 +1000, "Carl Milne" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave I belong to the Sutherland Bushwalking Club which is an outdoor club, walking, kayaking etc
>and has a cycling section. We used to do many other activities before all the public liability
>insurance problems surfaced. We do various grades of rides varying from short day rides to weekend
>rides to week long rides all around the Sydney area and NSW , including your area,

Colin We have a fairly good and active membership(over 300)so most of our activities are pretty well
attended, some better than others of course. At the moment, because of the ongoing public liability
insurance problems, people must be a member of our club to participate. Therefore, we don't feel it
would be wise to advertise to non members who would not be allowed to particpate anyway. We have had
the odd training day for kayaking and if the demand is there we can put on a training day. I am not
a kayaker, but I'm sure some of the more experienced kayakers in our club would help you get
started. We do have learn to navigate training days each quarter. There is another local (Sutherland
Shire) club specifically for kayaking/canoeing if you are more interested in that and they would
have more experienced people and would probably be able to provide better training than us. Their
name escapes me at the moment, but if you need it I can get it for you. We have had a combined
training day with them in the past. Because of the ongoing public liability insurance problems our
club, which is insured under the Confederation of Bushwalkers NSW, are no longer permitted to kayak
in open waters, ie the ocean. I'm not sure what policy a specific kayak club would have. Just as a
point of interest to show how the ongoing public liability insurance problems are affecting us. We
'as a club' can no longer do anything above the snow line such as cross country skiing, we can't
even start a bushwalk in the snow. We can't do rope-rock stuff such as abseiling, canyoning or
caving. We used to do all of these activities and hopefully one day we may be able to do them again.
Members of our club still do all of these activities, but not under the club's insurance cover. Carl

"Colin Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ah, pretty neat. Maybe there is or should be a way to get your lot hooked into Bicycle NSW so you
> can cross advertise each others stuff. As a cyclist I would never have thought to look under
> bushwalking for kayak or cycle related stuff - you certainly have a lot to offer.
> PS do you do kayak training stuff or is that achieved elsewhere?
>
> cheers
>
> Col
>
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:50:51 +1000, "Carl Milne" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dave I belong to the Sutherland Bushwalking Club which is an outdoor club, walking, kayaking etc
> >and has a cycling section. We used to do many
other
> >activities before all the public liability insurance problems surfaced. We do various grades of
> >rides varying from short day rides to weekend
rides
> >to week long rides all around the Sydney area and NSW , including your
area,

Carl Milne wrote:

**snip**
> There is another local (Sutherland Shire) club specifically for kayaking/canoeing if you are more
> interested in that and they would have more experienced people and would probably be able to
> provide better training than us. Their name escapes me at the moment, but if you need it I can get
> it for you. We have had a combined training day with them in the past.

Hmmm ... I've heard rumours about people from The Shire. Seems a bit like Deliverance to me. Is that
the sound of a banjo I hear? :)

Hi there folks

Thankyou for your imput on my post, especially Suzi & Carl with their suggestions and yes I will
look into both however I'd still like to see a dedicated touring club in Sydney which could be quite
popular like they are in Victoria.

If anyone is interested in trying to start one up, I'd throw my hat into the ring as well.Can't do
it on my own but.....!!

Anyway guys...thanks again and happy cycling.

Cheers

news:[email protected]...