Touring/commute shoes

Paul Richardson

Guest
Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

You can respond here, or [email protected]

In article <BDC235EF.12BAB%[email protected]>,
Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
>bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
>will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
>slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
>still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

I like Shimano touring shoes (model T-092). They have a flat sole that
is comfortable for walking, but are lighter weight and less bulky than
most MTB shoes.

Paul Richardson said:
Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

You can respond here, or [email protected]
I also commute daily via bike/BART/bike. I used to wear Shimano M034 (or a earlier version very like it). It was fine, however the soft rubber sole wore to the point that the cleats were in contact and created pretty good skid plate on occassion. I now use Diadora Gekos for all rides, both road and MTB. The only downside- the sole cleats can actually catch on some of the non-skid stuff BART has put on some stairways- I guess nothing is perefect. Before Diadora sourced in China their shoes were wider than most. I have wide feet and the solution for me with any brand is that I have to go a size or size and a half larger. This gets the width (and a bonus room to store valuables in the toe box) and most SPD shoes have enough fore and aft adjustment for the cleats to take allow proper positioning.

Paul Richardson wrote:

> Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes
> for bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like
> bike that I will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is
> navigating stairs, slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats
> (Look compatible) , I'd still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

A few years back, I bought a pair of (that year's version of) these:

http://snipurl.com/aqnh

No, they're not /optimally/ stiff, but they're comfortable, durable, pedal
efficiently, and they're cheap, cheap, CHEAP!! Twenty bucks? Come on....

I hosed 'em down with Scotchgard to "waterproof" em. I wear 'em for casual
mtb riding and any rides on my touring bike where walking is likely.

Good luck!

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:31:23 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (do not spam)
wrote:

>In article <BDC235EF.12BAB%[email protected]>,
>Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
>>bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
>>will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
>>slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
>>still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

>I like Shimano touring shoes (model T-092). They have a flat sole that
>is comfortable for walking, but are lighter weight and less bulky than
>most MTB shoes.

I'll second these, and they are in stock in a few shops in SF. They
are stiff compared to some of the other shoes recommended here. If you
want road shoe stiffness (well, close), the TO-92s are good. They are
also relatively low key for bike shoes so you won't look like a clown
on his way to the circus.

Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BDC235EF.12BAB%[email protected]>...
> Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
> bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
> will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
> slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
> still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine
>
> You can respond here, or [email protected]

Specialized makes some nice, inexpensive MTB shoes that aren't too
outrageous and are quite nice and comfortable. I picked up my last
pair on sale for about $12 from their website, IIRC.

Booker C. Bense wrote:

> _ You also need shimano shaped feet.

:) Ah yes, Shimano's usual philosophy!

Fortunately, I hear Nashbar's running a special on those feet.
Unfortunately, they're all "lefts".

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:20:16 GMT, Paul Richardson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
>bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
>will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
>slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
>still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine
>
>You can respond here, or [email protected]

The Shimano T092 is my choice and it uses recessed cleats and has a
flat bottom. I looked for a link on the Shimano website and couldn't
find the shoe. Maybe it's no longer sold.

Paul Kopit wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:20:16 GMT, Paul Richardson
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes
>> for bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like
>> bike that I will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is
>> navigating stairs, slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats
>> (Look compatible) , I'd still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine
>>
>> You can respond here, or [email protected]

> The Shimano T092 is my choice and it uses recessed cleats and has a
> flat bottom. I looked for a link on the Shimano website and couldn't
> find the shoe. Maybe it's no longer sold.

They do seem to be gone. However, I saw some nice Shimano shoes in a bike shop
the other day. They were similar to the TO92, but MTB shoes with lugged soles.
The lugged soles were rubber though, which should make them good walkers. As
you know, the problem with shoes like my Sidis is that the soles are plastic,
and way too slippery. This is stupid -- I can't understand why the makers don't
address this problem with these otherwise excellent shoes. They have a jillion
models which differ only slightly and cosmetically anyway. Surely they could
offer one with a rubber sole that's safe to walk in.

For a true dual-purpose bike shoe, look at the police issue boots sold by
Diadora and Sidi. There are usually tons of them for sale on eBay, for $40 or
so.

Matt O.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:06:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Booker C. Bense wrote:
>>
>> _ You also need shimano shaped feet.

>:) Ah yes, Shimano's usual philosophy!
>
>Fortunately, I hear Nashbar's running a special on those feet.
>Unfortunately, they're all "lefts".

I dunno. Usually when I see such things on sale they're all size 37.

Ron

Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BDC235EF.12BAB%[email protected]>...
> Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
> bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
> will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
> slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
> still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

Since you are not racing, or even time trialing, use something like
MKS touring pedals with clips and straps. I use a thick soled deck
shoe myself. The sole is soft enough to bite into the pedal and avoid
slippage, but even then, you ain't racing and who cares if you arrive
at your destination about 30 seconds later. I'll never understand why
so many commuters (or tourists) deck out in full racing kit.

D.M.

D. A.'Dutch' Martinich said:
Paul Richardson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BDC235EF.12BAB%[email protected]>...
> Anyone have a recommendation on a good pair of touring/commute shoes for
> bicycling. I have a recently acquired sngle speed (track-like bike that I
> will be using to travel to/from BART (SF). My concern is navigating stairs,
> slick tiles etc..., with my regular road cleats (Look compatible) , I'd
> still like to clip in (SPD or Look is fine

Since you are not racing, or even time trialing, use something like
MKS touring pedals with clips and straps. I use a thick soled deck
shoe myself. The sole is soft enough to bite into the pedal and avoid
slippage, but even then, you ain't racing and who cares if you arrive
at your destination about 30 seconds later. I'll never understand why
so many commuters (or tourists) deck out in full racing kit.

D.M.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=1041&brand=&sku=10037&storetype=&estoreid=

I bought the Lake BMX-60 from Nashbar about four years ago. It has a ridged rubber sole with a cut-out for SPD cleats. They're good for walking and have held up well through work week commuting. They're heavy, but it's because it's a sturdily built shoe that it's lasted so long.

Nashbar has what looks like a related model, the MX-60, on sale for $35. It has a lugged sole that looks like it should work well on any walking surface. It also looks like there's more fabric than leather on the upper compared the BMX-60, which will probably wear out sooner. But it will probably weigh considerably less. It looks like a very good value.

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: 2004-06-24 14:19:38 PST

BIG FEET PEDALS(and noslip)
i have an answer for the big foot problem.
and the answer is comprehensive-it clears the sinuses and deviates
from accepted practice.

plywood! cut four u shapes 1' wider two inches longer than the bear
traps
marked two sides for inside bolts and clamped together then drilled.
painted red to not look stupid, the pedal covers are large.
bolted and drilled one more hole just outside the traps outboard edge.

outasight.

the course is ten miles upwind then repeat down. The upwind is 15 to
20 percent faster with less effort. the downwind is about the same:
whatta drag.

the kicker. my hip hurts from a slight dislocation. the trip, a
necessary commute was thought to cripple but noooooooooo! the hip
feels better!!
the hip is better! wider stance: i'm 6'4" over into the 99 percentile
for ergonomis if the pedal people work ergonomics into the product's
width relationship to the cyclist's physiogamy.

and my feet are aahhhh! happy feet.

the plan was to fashion metal extenders for the traps.the ply
temporary. but the ply absorbs and cushions.
this is sooo goood! i recommend playing with the installation just to
experiment and get a feel for always hillclimbing with exquisite
comfort. itsa production job 'cept for the paint: only takes an hour.

idea 1.5: touring chain cleaning. when the lube evaps in the heat on
day two, a wipe and relube gets added slip from running the overnmite
dried lube slightly crosschained then or in the morning. the rollers
and plates are canted and the dirt gets thrown out. left and right.

i like the cannondale arago mountain shoe. looks just like a sneaker and terrific for walking in. could wear all day if you had to. sometimes my son calls me while i;m out riding to meet him at the park to play ball and it's no problem with these shoes. two hole cleat only - spd or eggbeater.

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since you are not racing, or even time trialing, use something like
> MKS touring pedals with clips and straps. I use a thick soled deck
> shoe myself. The sole is soft enough to bite into the pedal and avoid
> slippage, but even then, you ain't racing and who cares if you arrive
> at your destination about 30 seconds later. I'll never understand why
> so many commuters (or tourists) deck out in full racing kit.
>
> D.M.

My commute is 15 miles/ 24 km, and I use full "racing" kit - including
shoes. Why - for the same reasons racers wear them - close fit clothing is
more comfortable and faster, the shoes work better. When I tour I use
touring shoes = mtb shoes so I don't have to carry other walking shoes, but
I still wear the full racing kit. Again for the reasons that they are more
comfortable and faster (= more aero, less friction, easy to keep clean, easy
to adjust for temps hot or cold, ....)

When my commute is years past was 1 to 3 miles I would wear my office
clothes. At some distance you have to consider the benefits of an outfit
designed for riding.

Bruce

Booker C. Bense wrote:

> _ IMHO, SPD is appropriate for commuting since once you've mastered
> clipless it is MASSIVELY easier to unclip than it is to deal with straps
> and clips. Also, if you have never tortured yourself with clips and
> straps you won't have the instincts to use them safely. The only
> advantage they have is that you can use them with any shoe. They have a
> lot of disadvantages from a commuting perspective. Perhaps the biggest of
> these is being able to bunny hop without pulling your feet off the
> pedals. For riding in traffic and dealing with road hazards, I think
> clipless pedals are well worth the hassle of special shoes.

This is probably not true for everyone, but I found another disadvantage to
clips and straps were that they started to make the tops of my feet sore
after really long (over 200 km) rides. Perhaps I didn't have them at a
good tightness, or perhaps it's something I would have got used to, but I
switched to clipless shortly after my first such ride and would never go
back.

I agree that they're much easier to get in and out of. I didn't feel
comfortable practicing track stands on my fixed gear bicycle until I
installed clipless pedals instead of the clips and straps it originally
had.

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover