Touring/commuting wheel hub/rims?

Jeff Kwapil

Guest
Looking for hub & rim suggestions.

Touring/commuting wheels.

Sealed bearings, 36 hole rear and Campy 8-speed compatibility.

Friction shifting is OK, Ergo is much better.

"Jeff Kwapil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Kr0%[email protected]...
> Looking for hub & rim suggestions.
>
> Touring/commuting wheels.
>
> Sealed bearings, 36 hole rear and Campy 8-speed compatibility.
>
> Friction shifting is OK, Ergo is much better.

Check out the Bontrager Fairlane and Fairlane OSB at Rivendell (sp?). If you want more width and
double eyelets, check Mavic T520. I have tried them both. I like the OSB feature of the
Bontrager Fairlane.

Peter will probably pipe in on the Campy stuff. If you are really serious about hubs check out
Phil Wood.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Jeff-<< Looking for hub & rim suggestions.

Touring/commuting wheels.

Sealed bearings, 36 hole rear and Campy 8-speed compatibility.

Phil Wood...

Mavic T-520, CXP-33, Velocity Deep V..

Peter, a question for a Campy proponent. As I read about touring bikes, it seems nobody recommends
Campy for touring & commuting. Not bad-mouthed, but it's just not mentioned. Any reason it wouldn't
be suitable?

I can't imagine it's durability. I used to commute 4000 or 5000 miles a year on the Maillard hubs
that Trek put on my $300 bike in 1988. Modern Campagnolo would have to be many notches up.

Also, I don't believe it's price. My bike already has a Campy drivetrain, so a wheel with 36h
Centaur, Chorus or even Record would be very economical compared to a Phil cassette version.

> Jeff-<< Looking for hub & rim suggestions.
>
> Touring/commuting wheels.
>
> Sealed bearings, 36 hole rear and Campy 8-speed compatibility.
>
> Phil Wood...
>
> Mavic T-520, CXP-33, Velocity Deep V..

> Peter, a question for a Campy proponent. As I read about touring bikes, it seems nobody recommends
> Campy for touring & commuting. Not bad-mouthed,
but
> it's just not mentioned. Any reason it wouldn't be suitable?

That's because, as a touring cyclist, you could be far afield, when you have a mechanical. Most bike
shops will have chains, cassettes, wheels, shifters and what-not that will fit in with a Shimano
setup. Chances of finding spare Campy gear outside big cities...not good. Also, Shimano "owns" the
mt. bike field. A lot of tourists use mt.bike kit on their bikes as it gives them a wide price range
of drivetrains that work well for loaded touring. Campy is certainly great stuff, and they have
more affordable gear now, but Shimano is the best choice in this arena IMO.

Tim

Campy 'long cage' triple derailleurs were not considered for 32 or 34 rear cogs with 52T chainrings.
They would not pull back far enough in the small/small combination that the derailleur pulley would
not tick the cog. They barely could handle the small/small combination without the chain draging on
the bottom of the rear derailleur. You could get them to work. I used a 2000 Veloce long cage on my
tandem with
52/42/30 and 13/32.

That's changed now that Campy offers the 3x10 long cage. It is about the same size as an XT rear
derailleur and handles big cogs fine.

You'll have a much better selection of wheels if you accept respaced Shimano 8 cassettes on a
Shimano 8/9 hub. You can take the spacer money and just get a 9sp shift disk and shift out of the
box Shimano 9 cassettes. I'd forget the cartridge bearing hubs and go with ball bearings.