Touring Europe?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bozeman, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

    Any general advice on touring in Europe for an American? What things do I need to know that I
    haven't thought about?

    Do you need an International Camping Card to camp? Can you get one in the US? Or after arrival?

    When can you travel through Switzerland and Austria? Norway? Mountainous parts of Italy? How is
    spring in France?

    What things do I need to do/see?

    Thanks, Craig

    Tags:

  2. Bozeman <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Any general advice on touring in Europe for an American? What things do I need to know that I
    : haven't thought about?

    How will you transport your bike, or will you rent one?

    You could use trains for some part of your journey.

    The culture can be surprisingly different, eg. in views on politics. Also different parts of Europe
    are very different.

    Not everybody speaks English, but then again there are some parts where they do.

    : What things do I need to do/see?

    Some countries are very rich in recumbent activities. You can try out models that are quite rare
    in the other side of the big water. Consider at least Netherlands. They have the Cycle Vision
    event in May/June.

    You can hopefully find a number of useful links on my page.

  3. "Bozeman" skrev...
    > Do you need an International Camping Card to camp? Can you get one in the US? Or after arrival?

    You can usually buy the card on campsites. I'm not sure if its valid for hostels too. Here in
    Denmark at least the cost is rather high for staying a night in either place. Luckily there are
    inexpensive campsites. Read more about them and bike holidays in Denmark here: http://www.dcf.dk/
    ("Information in english" / "Bike holidays in DK" Other countries might have something similar.

    Regards Mikael

  4. "Mikael Seierup" skrev...

    > You can usually buy the card on campsites. I'm not sure if its valid for hostels too. Here in
    > Denmark at least the cost is rather high for staying a night in either place. Luckily there are
    > inexpensive campsites. Read more about them and bike holidays in Denmark here: http://www.dcf.dk/
    > ("Information in english" / "Bike holidays in DK" Other countries might have something similar.

    If you are really cheap (like me) you can always try to ask farmers etc. if they have a place, you
    can spend the night. It has worked for me so far and its probably a lot easier with a recumbent. And
    we don't usually gun down turists that come knocking at our doors. ;o)

    Mikael

  5. Skip

    Skip Guest

    > If you are really cheap (like me) you can always try to ask farmers etc. if they have a place, you
    > can spend the night. It has worked for me so far and its probably a lot easier with a recumbent.
    > And we don't usually gun down turists that come knocking at our doors. ;o)

    I've found that works too. Be sure to leave no trace of your camping though. People in all countries
    seem to realize that serial killers don't travel by bike, much less by recumbent bike. That doesn't
    mean you can't get accosted in some places.

    Skip

  6. Rod King

    Rod King Guest

    Have a look at www.ctc.org,uk

    CTC have a number of cycling routes and aslo notes on cycling indifferent countries.

    I did a tour of the Westwen Isles of Scotland which you can see onwww.rodking.co.uk

    This year I am off to Spain and Portugal in May.

    Best regards

    Rod (tri) King on a Windcheetah

    "Bozeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any general advice on touring in Europe for an American? What things do I need to know that I
    > haven't thought about?
    >
    > Do you need an International Camping Card to camp? Can you get one in the US? Or after arrival?
    >
    > When can you travel through Switzerland and Austria? Norway? Mountainous parts of Italy? How is
    > spring in France?
    >
    > What things do I need to do/see?
    >
    > Thanks, Craig

  7. Do a Google search on biking cycling Europe. Pick up a copy of the green Michelin Guide for the
    areas you are interested in. Or the Rough Guide series of books if you prefer. There are seveal
    books on routes in France. I can't recall the titles, but you can find them on the net. Here's a
    link for Austria cycling: http://www.radtouren.at/english/ Here's George Farnsworth's page:
    http://www.bikeaccess.net/default.cfm Here's something on Switzerland:
    http://www.cycling-in-switzerland.ch/ Dan Kluckhuhn

    "Bozeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Any general advice on touring in Europe for an American? What things do I need to know that I
    > haven't thought about?
    >
    > Do you need an International Camping Card to camp? Can you get one in the US? Or after arrival?
    >
    > When can you travel through Switzerland and Austria? Norway? Mountainous parts of Italy? How is
    > spring in France?
    >
    > What things do I need to do/see?
    >
    > Thanks, Craig

  8. >Any general advice on touring in Europe for an American? What things do I need to know that I
    >haven't thought about?

    In Finland you can survive by buying a bicycle map (Fillari-GT), where you can see some cycle routes
    and some places to stay and phone numbers for tourist info centers in each city. There are lots of
    cheap "farm hotels".

  9. Bozeman

    Bozeman Guest

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > [email protected]_nospam (Markku Poysti) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > There are lots of cheap "farm hotels".
    >
    > How do you find one of these?

    If Finland is like the rest of Europe, they probably fly flags

    In other parts of Europe they may be called Gasthaus, Pension or Zimmerfrei.

    In Central Europe where I've toured, they are cheaper than camping out in the US.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. >> There are lots of cheap "farm hotels".

    >How do you find one of these?

    Each city has a tourist-info office, they know.

    In Fillari-GT map you can find the tourist-info phone numbers and locations of the places to sleep.

    A mobile phone is handy if cycling in the small roads marked on the map.

  12. JožE Marolt

    JožE Marolt Guest

    Try to visit Slovenia. http://www.slovenia-tourism.si/ http://www.travelslovenia.com/eng/first.html

    Best regards Joze Marolt, Maribor Lightning P-38

    "Bozeman" <[email protected]> je napisal v sporocilo
    news:[email protected] ...