Touring frame: Aluminium or steel?

Chris Loffredo

Guest
Hi,

I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.

I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same price.

According to the bike shop & several on-line articles I've read, the
material itself isn't so important compared to the construction. I'd
appreciate advice on anything I should look for in making my choice.

Chris

With steel, if something gets knocked out of alignment, it's easier to
fix. With LUGGED steel, if one tube gets severely damaged, it can be
replaced. (Not all that common, but it is something to consider.)

Chris Loffredo wrote:

> I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same price.
>
> According to the bike shop & several on-line articles I've read, the
> material itself isn't so important compared to the construction. I'd
> appreciate advice on anything I should look for in making my choice.

Generally speaking, the steel frame is repairable while the
aluminum frame is not. Also, given comparable quality,
aluminum frames typically cost less to construct these days
than a steel frame. However, given the number of variables,
it would be hard to say in your specific case which is the
better value.

I would also look closely at the fork. The fork can have a
large effect on ride quality. In steel, a crowned fork will
flex more, and thus ride smoother, than a unicrown fork.
Aluminum appears to be a poor material for a fork since once
enough material is used to make the fork sufficiently
strong, it is also quite stiff.

Carbon forks can vary quite a bit. Carbon forks that are
bonded at the crown are often beefed up there, and the
result can be a harsh ride.

A full carbon fork with no bonding (many carbon forks with
carbon steerers are still bonded at the crown) can have a
nicer ride. When we offered a carbon fork option for our
Heron Road, we found that the Easton EC90 provided a
comparable ride to our crowned steel fork.

Of course, if you are going to tour with the bike and use
front panniers, you will definitely want a heavy-duty fork
designed for such use. The primary options here are steel,
but expect the stiffer fork to offer a harsher ride when
riding the bike unloaded.

Todd Kuzma
Heron Bicycles
Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com
http://www.tullios.com

>With steel, if something gets knocked out of alignment, it's easier to
>fix. With LUGGED steel, if one tube gets severely damaged, it can be
>replaced. (Not all that common, but it is something to consider.)

Tube replacement is not only possible n a steel TIGed or filet brazed frame,
it's easier than on a lugged frame. And if a steel frame gets whacked out of
whack it can be straightened. Aluminium can't.
Phil Brown

Chris Loffredo wrote:

> I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
>
> I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same price.

Who's building custom aluminium frames? Never heard of such a thing!

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials

Sheldon "Metal Is Better Than Plastic" Brown
| The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic |
| is no more to the point than the fact than |
| a drunken man is happier than a sober one. |
| --George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

> Chris Loffredo wrote:
>
> > I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
> >
> > I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same

price.

> Who's building custom aluminium frames? Never heard of such a thing!

At least one NorCal builder - Sycip.

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Chris Loffredo wrote:
>
>> I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
>>
>> I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same
>> price.

> Who's building custom aluminium frames? Never heard of such a thing!

Plenty of people build custom aluminum frames. Here's a
small handful to start with:

http://www.tetcycles.com/
http://www.zinncycles.com/
http://www.athertonbikes.com/
http://www.huberbikes.com/1_new_fab.html

Todd Kuzma wrote:

> I would also look closely at the fork. The fork can have a large effect
> on ride quality. In steel, a crowned fork will flex more, and thus ride
> smoother, than a unicrown fork. Aluminum appears to be a poor material
> for a fork since once enough material is used to make the fork
> sufficiently strong, it is also quite stiff.

Before the carbon fork craze, many bikes, including high-end
titanium bikes, came with light-weight aluminum forks (For
example, Kinesis forks used to come standard with Merlin
bikes) These forks were often considered to be flexier than
steel forks, and give a more shock absorbing ride than steel.

Mark McMaster
[email protected]

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Chris Loffredo wrote:
>
>> I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
>>
>> I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same
>> price.

> Who's building custom aluminium frames? Never heard of such a thing!
>
> See: http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials
>
> Sheldon "Metal Is Better Than Plastic" Brown

Hi,

No, the frame itself isn't custom-made (in the case of Aluminium from
the far East).

The answers I have gotten so far seem typical of the problem: People say
and maintain opposite things re materials (yes, I did read your websie -
great!).
If only frames could speak: "How good are you?"
; )

Chris

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:32:15 +0200, Chris Loffredo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
>
>I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same price.
>
>According to the bike shop & several on-line articles I've read, the
>material itself isn't so important compared to the construction. I'd
>appreciate advice on anything I should look for in making my choice.

Steel would be my choice. It presents fewer problems over the long
term; seat posts aren't as likely to get stuck, dropouts aren't as
likely to get scored or wallowed, and overall. steel tubing is more
repairable and more paintable.

Titanium can also provide an excellent value.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:03:10 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In steel, a crowned fork will
>flex more, and thus ride smoother, than a unicrown fork.

Of course, traditional or unicrown is only one variable. For example,
the Tange Silhouette (unicrown) is more flexible than several
traditional classic steel racing forks (lugged crowns). See
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/rinard_forktest.html

>Aluminum appears to be a poor material for a fork since once
>enough material is used to make the fork sufficiently
>strong, it is also quite stiff.

Could be, but there are several aluminum forks that are more flexible
than steel ones shown at the link above.

>Carbon forks can vary quite a bit. Carbon forks that are
>bonded at the crown are often beefed up there, and the
>result can be a harsh ride.

None of the carbon forks measured had greater stiffness than the
classic steel forks.

>Todd Kuzma
>Heron Bicycles
>Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery
>LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
>http://www.heronbicycles.com
>http://www.tullios.com

"Chris Loffredo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I'm buying a custom-made touring/fitness bike.
>
> I have a choice between an aluminium and a steel frame for the same price.
>
> According to the bike shop & several on-line articles I've read, the
> material itself isn't so important compared to the construction. I'd
> appreciate advice on anything I should look for in making my choice.

The real advantage of aluminum over steel is lateral stiffness and a slight
reduction in weight. Mass produced frames are also somewhat cheaper. If weight
or stiffness aren't a big deal and price is the same, there's no reason to go
with one over the other.

These are all valid points but the cost of repainting or repairing a
frame often exceeds the cost of repacement. Steel is prone to rust &
will also fatigue over time just like aluminum.

Evan Evans wrote in message ...
>These are all valid points but the cost of repainting or repairing a
>frame often exceeds the cost of repacement. Steel is prone to rust &
>will also fatigue over time just like aluminum

The first point is an invalid argument. Don't buy a cheap steel frame
disproves it. As steel will rust if left outside, buy a cheap steel frame,
there's plenty of steel there. Most people prefer not to have their
bicycles stolen so store them inside. If you have a collection of steel
frames which must be stored in outbuildings, treat the inside of the tubes,
diesel will do it.

TJ

On 2 Aug 2004 04:05:21 -0700, [email protected] (Evan Evans)
wrote:

>These are all valid points but the cost of repainting or repairing a
>frame often exceeds the cost of repacement. Steel is prone to rust &
>will also fatigue over time just like aluminum.

And aliuminum will corrode, sometimes at an accelerated pace due to
dissimilar metal erosion.

Of the two, having had both for a while now, I still prefer steel,
though the extreme thinwall stuff can be a trifle fragile.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.