touring gears : more advice required.

Walter Mitty

Guest
Firstly thanks for the advice in previous thread.

Here's the situation : new wheels are in place - 26" with XT rear hub. The OLD 7 speed cassette is
on. I am still using my original Shimano 7 speed bar end shifters in friction mode to drive my two
new campag racing t derailleurs (I couldn't resist campagnolo:)). I still use my old 7 sped chain.

For some reason, the LBS guy seems to think that I can't now just install a 9 speed shimano cassette
with new chain because of the shifter.

But my understanding was that in friction mode it should be ok. Spacing for the wheel (dishing?)
should be ok since the wheel was built for the 9 speed anyway (only cash flow stopped me moving all
at once to all new components).

Sure, at some point I want to move to ergopower lever set now that the rumours of reliability have
been fairly strongly dismissed by some knowledgable posters. But for now, is there anything stopping
me moving to the nine speed block & chain? (The racing-t is a 9 speed derailleur).

regards

--
Walter Mitty.

I stopped at seven, and see no reason to go any further. But that's just
me.

I believe that the reason your shifters MAY not work with the nine speed cogset is because the (sp
cassete is much wider that a seven speed cassette, meaning the shifter may not be able to pull
enough cable to span all nine cogs

In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:

> Firstly thanks for the advice in previous thread.
>
> Here's the situation : new wheels are in place - 26" with XT rear hub. The OLD 7 speed cassette is
> on. I am still using my original Shimano 7 speed bar end shifters in friction mode to drive my two
> new campag racing t derailleurs (I couldn't resist campagnolo:)). I still use my old 7 sped chain.

<snip>

> Sure, at some point I want to move to ergopower lever set now that the rumours of reliability have
> been fairly strongly dismissed by some knowledgable posters. But for now, is there anything
> stopping me moving to the nine speed block & chain? (The racing-t is a 9 speed derailleur).

Well, will a 9 speed cassette fit on your old hub? But other than that, your old levers ought to
shift fine in friction mode- might be a little finicky as the cogs are really close together.

[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:19600-3EE36CE1-155@storefull- 2357.public.lawson.webtv.net he conjectured that:

> I stopped at seven, and see no reason to go any further. But that's just
> me.

And I would stay there too if it weren't for the fact that 7 speed is now obsolete :(

--
Walter Mitty.

Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") brightened my day with
>>I stopped at seven, and see no reason to go any further. But that's just
>>me.
>And I would stay there too if it weren't for the fact that 7 speed is now obsolete :(

Who cares? You can still get the parts, and they're cheap.

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Firstly thanks for the advice in previous thread.
>>
>> Here's the situation : new wheels are in place - 26" with XT rear hub. The OLD 7 speed cassette
>> is on. I am still using my original Shimano 7 speed bar end shifters in friction mode to drive
>> my two new campag racing t derailleurs (I couldn't resist campagnolo:)). I still use my old 7
>> sped chain.
>
> <snip>
>
>> Sure, at some point I want to move to ergopower lever set now that the rumours of reliability
>> have been fairly strongly dismissed by some knowledgable posters. But for now, is there anything
>> stopping me moving to the nine speed block & chain? (The racing-t is a 9 speed derailleur).
>
> Well, will a 9 speed cassette fit on your old hub?

I'm unsure as to whether this a question or an answer to my question. Yes : it's a new wheel with a
new XT hub. Refer to OP.

> But other than that, your old levers ought to shift fine in friction mode- might be a little
> finicky as the cogs are really close together.

7->9 == very little difference on a friction shifter with regard to leverage as I discovered today
when I slotted on the new 9 speed ultegra cassette and it all just worked fine.

--
Walter Mitty.

In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:

> 7->9 == very little difference on a friction shifter with regard to leverage as I discovered today
> when I slotted on the new 9 speed ultegra cassette and it all just worked fine.

Excellent! I have not had opportunity/reason to try a 9 speed cassette with firction shifters, so I
wasn't sure how well this would work. I have read reports that it can be difficult to get just one
gear at a time with friction shifters and 9 speed cassettes. I use old Sun Tour Superbe pre-indexing
shifters and an even older Cyclone GT derailleur with a Shimano 11-28 8 sp cassette and it works
slick as can be. What shifters and derailleur are you using?

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> 7->9 == very little difference on a friction shifter with regard to leverage as I discovered
>> today when I slotted on the new 9 speed ultegra cassette and it all just worked fine.
>
> Excellent! I have not had opportunity/reason to try a 9 speed cassette with firction shifters, so
> I wasn't sure how well this would work. I have read reports that it can be difficult to get just
> one gear at a time with friction shifters and 9 speed cassettes. I use old Sun Tour Superbe
> pre-indexing shifters and an even older Cyclone GT derailleur with a Shimano 11-28 8 sp cassette
> and it works slick as can be. What shifters and derailleur are you using?

Shimano bar end shifters with campag racing-t front & rear.

The only issue I had is that I went for an ultegra cassette (11-27) since that was all that is
available at my LBS in nine speed. I had hoped to get at least a 28 but was informed that isn't
available in nine speed.

BTW : I made a pigs ear of the chain and had to use a second master link to get it back to required
length : master links are cool....

Isn't this a more interesting thread than the other? :)

--
Walter Mitty.

In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
> news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
>
> > What shifters and derailleur are you using?
>
> Shimano bar end shifters with campag racing-t front & rear.
>
> The only issue I had is that I went for an ultegra cassette (11-27) since that was all that is
> available at my LBS in nine speed. I had hoped to get at least a 28 but was informed that isn't
> available in nine speed.

Hmmm, I've not paid much attention to Shimano 9 speed. I think 26 is as big as you can get in Campy
9 speeds. But couldn't you use a cassette from an MTB group? I use an 11-28 8 speed XT cassette on
an Ultegra hub on my brevet bike.

> BTW : I made a pigs ear of the chain and had to use a second master link to get it back to
> required length : master links are cool....

Danged handy things- I keep one in my tool kit on all my bikes.

> Isn't this a more interesting thread than the other? :)

Mucho!

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
> > news:[email protected] he conjectured that:
> >
> > > What shifters and derailleur are you using?
> >
> > Shimano bar end shifters with campag racing-t front & rear.
> >
> > The only issue I had is that I went for an ultegra cassette (11-27) since that was all that is
> > available at my LBS in nine speed. I had hoped to get at least a 28 but was informed that isn't
> > available in nine speed.
>
> Hmmm, I've not paid much attention to Shimano 9 speed. I think 26 is as big as you can get in
> Campy 9 speeds.

No, Campy Veloce "loose cogs" cassette come with a 28t - 13x28 or 14x28. Branford, Nashbar, and your
LBS can get them....

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:01:44 +0200, Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
>news:25596-3EE9185D-148@storefull- 2358.public.lawson.webtv.net he conjectured that:
>

>> That's what swap meets and MacGyverisms are for! ;-3)
>>

>What's a "MacGyverism" ??

It's using a (three layer, but with all the functions of a Swisschamp -- Hollywood magic) Victorinox
swiss army knife, some duct tape, and some Stuff Lying Around to make a megawatt class laser so as
to burn your way out of a cell, or similar. A bit like the A-team making an APC or tank with a car,
a bunch of metal plates, and a welder, except one guy, and more along the 'science experiment'
lines. And less guns. Check it out, the show's funny.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0088559

Amazingly, it's from '85. That means it's squarely A-team era.

Jasper