touring gears : more questions

On Thu, 29 May 2003 09:30:07 +0200, M-Gineering import & framebouw wrote:

> On a touring bike bar-ends are the superior solution. Tourists shift a lot more than racers.

That is disputable.

> With ergo's you wear out your left thumb

Not much strength in that thumb, then.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

> << (4) Do campag do a 9 sp bar end shifter that can also work in friction mode? Is it current
> product range (I found nothing on their web site).
>
> No-click shifting only.

Peter,

Here is an experience that you may want to add to your impressive list of "work arounds". When
changing a Campagnolo Synchro (down tube) lever from 8 speed to 9 speed I was held up for a couple
of weeks waiting for an index disk (SL-RE-119 or 219). I removed the 8 speed disk and put a thin
washer on the boss behind the lever and screwed the cap back on. Excellent friction shifting! I now
keep the washer in my took kit, but I will probably never use it, again given how robust these
levers appear to be. Maybe I need a more vivid imagination to dream up unlikely catastrophes.

I understand that the bar end shifters are just the down tube ones with appropriate mounts, so this
dodge should work for them too.

John Retchford