Touring in England/Wales questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony R, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    Hello, I've unexpectedly got some free time coming up so I thought I might do a bit of touring
    (insert Wafflycatesque YYEESSS here). I'll be arriving in Wales at Holyhead and I think I've managed
    to negotiate the right tickets for the rail journey down to Penzance. The plan is to cycle Land's
    End to Holyhead. I'm travelling down with First North Western Holyhead to Birmingham, Virgin B'ham
    to Plymouth and First Great Western on to Penzance. Are they likely to be bikes in guard's van type
    trains or have specific carriages? Also is it likely I'll be able to get into Youth Hostels without
    prior bookings or are they too busy at this time of year? Thanks in advance, tony R.

    > Hello, I've unexpectedly got some free time coming up so I thought I might do a bit of touring
    > (insert Wafflycatesque YYEESSS here). I'll be arriving in Wales at Holyhead and I think I've
    > managed to negotiate the right tickets for the rail journey down to Penzance. The plan is to cycle
    > Land's End to Holyhead. I'm travelling down with First North Western Holyhead to Birmingham,
    > Virgin B'ham to Plymouth and First Great Western on to Penzance. Are they likely to be bikes in
    > guard's van type trains or have specific carriages?

    If the Virgin train is a voyager then the bikes usually go in coach F. Which will be one end or the
    other. The bikes hang vertically by one wheel and are strapped in by the other, you have to sort
    this out yourself. If yours is the only bike they is space to leave it in its normal position. If
    the Virgin is an older 125 then your bike will go in the guards van, which may be at the front or
    back. You'll need the guard to open this for you.

    I have only used one First North Western train and it was a two unit jobbie with a bike space in one
    carriage. The only Great Western I have used was a 125, as with Virgin, but I think they might have
    more modern stock as well.

    Have a good ride.

    Colin

  3. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

  4. tony R wrote:
    > Hello, I've unexpectedly got some free time coming up so I thought I might do a bit of touring
    > (insert Wafflycatesque YYEESSS here). I'll be arriving in Wales at Holyhead and I think I've
    > managed to negotiate the right tickets for the rail journey down to Penzance. The plan is to cycle
    > Land's End to Holyhead. I'm travelling down with First North Western Holyhead to Birmingham,
    > Virgin B'ham to Plymouth and First Great Western on to Penzance. Are they likely to be bikes in
    > guard's van type trains or have specific carriages?

    > Also is it likely I'll be able to get into Youth Hostels without prior bookings or are they too
    > busy at this time of year?

    I cycled around the Devon and Cornwall coasts in June 2001 and had no problem finding accomodation
    -- at no time did I book ahead. Some of the Youth hostels just happen to be shut on random days, no
    notice, no signs, no idea, I just ended up either at backpacker hostels or cheap B&Bs (approx 10-15
    pounds, not too bad when the hostels are at least 10, and you can do your best to eat the rest in
    breakfast)

    I guess if you phone and book at least they ought to tell you if they are going to decide to be
    closed for a few days.

    Tourist information offices were generally ok, but some were totally clueless, like recommending a
    town 50km back (that I'd just come from) as being the nearest available accomodation, or by being
    shut all day sunday and half of saturday in peak tourist time.

    http://ajft.org/journal/2001/06/04

    > Thanks in advance, tony R.
    ADrian

    Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
    Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

  5. Tony R

    Tony R Guest

    "Adrian Tritschler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > tony R wrote:

    > > Also is it likely I'll be able to get into Youth Hostels without prior bookings or are they too
    > > busy at this time of year?
    >
    > I cycled around the Devon and Cornwall coasts in June 2001 and had no problem finding accomodation
    > -- at no time did I book ahead. Some of the Youth hostels just happen to be shut on random days,
    > no notice, no signs, no idea, I just ended up either at backpacker hostels or cheap B&Bs (approx
    > 10-15 pounds, not too bad when the hostels are at least 10, and you can do your best to eat the
    > rest in breakfast)

    > http://ajft.org/journal/2001/06/04
    >
    > > Thanks in advance, tony R.
    > ADrian

    Thanks for the info. Nice journal you've put together there. tony R.