Touring in Southern France: HELP!

arnieb

Guest
My sweetie and I plan on taking our tandem ( Richey Skyliner ) to
France for 17 days from the end of August through the middle of
September. We have airline tickets to Paris and that's about the
extent of our preparations so far.

We want to cycle in the Provence region, staying at several B&B's and
making day sojourns out into the country and back. After a few days at
one B&B we'd then ride to another one and repeat the process.

My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Arnie

> My sweetie and I plan on taking our tandem ( Richey Skyliner ) to
> France for 17 days from the end of August through the middle of
> September. We have airline tickets to Paris and that's about the
> extent of our preparations so far.

Check with the airline about the specifics of bringing your tandem over. I
wasn't sure if the Skyliner was a folding tandem or not, but from the photos
I found, it appears not. That makes it one HUGE box, and the airlines have
recently gone into REM (Revenue Enhancement Mode). What used to typically be
free (traveling internationally with a normal-sized bicycle) now costs up to
$150 each way (AirFrance, according to recent reports). And that's for a
"normal" bicycle.

> We want to cycle in the Provence region, staying at several B&B's and
> making day sojourns out into the country and back. After a few days at
> one B&B we'd then ride to another one and repeat the process.

No problems there; the roads are great, drivers generally respectful, and
towns close enough that you'll never feel like you're lost in the middle of
nowhere. It will, however, have the potential to be HOT.

> My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
> luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
> England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
> experience.

Best to contact the B&B and ask if they'll have room for it. One other
hitch. How are you getting from Paris to Provence? If by train, you may have
to arrange to have you tandem travel separately. The normal TGVs don't allow
bicycles at all, unless they're in a "bike house" bag (which is limited to
120cm in length). The few TGVs that specifically allow bike may or may not
allow a tandem, best to check.

You might check out Outfitter Tours at http://outfittertours.com/index.cfm
and see if they might be able to provide info about tandems on trains. ****
& Marilyn Powell (who run the company) live in France half the year, and are
big tandem afficianados.

Good luck, hope it all works out, sounds like a whole lot of fun!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> My sweetie and I plan on taking our tandem ( Richey Skyliner ) to
> France for 17 days from the end of August through the middle of
> September. We have airline tickets to Paris and that's about the
> extent of our preparations so far.
>
> We want to cycle in the Provence region, staying at several B&B's and
> making day sojourns out into the country and back. After a few days at
> one B&B we'd then ride to another one and repeat the process.
>
> My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
> luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
> England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
> experience.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Arnie

Besides the normal maps, I would take a mapping GPS unit.

It will, however, have the potential to be HOT.

Oh Mama Yes! From the end of August I'm not so sure, but I spent a week IN
August there, worst sunburn ever!

"arnieb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
> luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
> England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
> experience.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Provence is crowded in August, which could affect your ability to find a
room in a small town at the last minute. At the very least you should make a
habit of securing a room reservation for your destination du jour each
morning. You could also book your first night in Provence in advance, since
you seem to know when you will be arriving.

It would be worth your while to ask how much it would cost to change your
tickets to fly to Marseilles. This would simplify the "how do you get the
tandem to Provence" issue, plus save you the train fare. You could spend the
first night in Aix or Marseilles or Cassis.

Finally, expect heat.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:37:12 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, arnieb
<[email protected]> wrote:

> My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> then for the last two nights.

as others have said, it will be HOT and EVERYONE in france except
the folks that work in seaside or mountain resorts goes on
vacation in august.

years ago, i found a very reasonable hotel in paris that when i
returned to watch the 2004 tour de france was still very
reasonably priced (47 euro/night for 2). it's not fancy, pretty
basic, near the gare du nord, which is where the trains from
london arrive.

Hotel du Brabant
18, rue des Petits Hôtels
75010 Paris - France
Tél : 01.47.70.12.32
Fax : 01.47.70.20.32
http://hotelbrabant.free.fr/

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:56:17 -0800, [email protected]
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

>as others have said, it will be HOT and EVERYONE in france except
>the folks that work in seaside or mountain resorts goes on
>vacation in august.

Not so many these days as in former times (when Paris appeared
deserted except for the tourists in August), but agreed, it is still
the main holiday period.

>years ago, i found a very reasonable hotel in paris that when i
>returned to watch the 2004 tour de france was still very
>reasonably priced (47 euro/night for 2). it's not fancy, pretty
>basic, near the gare du nord, which is where the trains from
>london arrive.
>
>Hotel du Brabant
>18, rue des Petits Hôtels
>75010 Paris - France
>Tél : 01.47.70.12.32
>Fax : 01.47.70.20.32
>http://hotelbrabant.free.fr/

Although I don't know that particular hotel, as someone who lived in
that area for nearly 20 years, I'd generally agree with your
recommendation. The 10th arrondissement is not an expensive part of
town, it has the Gare du Nord, as you mention (and also the Gare de
l'Est) and it's an "inner" district - if you decide not to use the
métro, you can walk to places like the Bastille, les Halles, Châtelet
or the Marais in less than half an hour.

On Jun 18, 10:21 am, "OughtFour" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "arnieb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> > then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
> > luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
> > England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
> > experience.

> > Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> Provence is crowded in August, which could affect your ability to find a
> room in a small town at the last minute. At the very least you should make a
> habit of securing a room reservation for your destination du jour each
> morning. You could also book your first night in Provence in advance, since
> you seem to know when you will be arriving.
>
> It would be worth your while to ask how much it would cost to change your
> tickets to fly to Marseilles. This would simplify the "how do you get the
> tandem to Provence" issue, plus save you the train fare. You could spend the
> first night in Aix or Marseilles or Cassis.
>
> Finally, expect heat.

I'd second the idea of flying in and out of Marseille if you can or
unless you really want to see Paris on this trip. You're likely to
waste a lot of time and effort just getting from there to Provence.

On Jun 21, 10:33 am, [email protected] (Dennis P. Harris)
wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:49:20 +0200 in rec.bicycles.misc, Andrew
>
> Price <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The 10th arrondissement is not an expensive part of
> > town, it has the Gare du Nord, as you mention (and also the Gare de
> > l'Est) and it's an "inner" district - if you decide not to use the
> > métro, you can walk to places like the Bastille, les Halles, Châtelet
> > or the Marais in less than half an hour.

> I should have mentioned that the folks at the Hotel du Brabant
> were very good about letting me store bags there for my return
> for the final days of the Tour, and most important for the OP,
> they have a storage area that looked big enough for several
> bikes, or for a tandem.

The problem, I would think, it not the hotel in Paris -- there are
lots of options for that. I would think the biggest problem is how to
get his tandem to and from Provence. The TGV won't take it. The Corail
will add at least a day to each end.

> I also forgot to mention in my first post that one bargain hotel
> chain, Formule1, is only 34 euro/night in most locations. Very
> basic robohotel, no air conditioning. The same company
> (www.accorhotels.com) has another chain, Etap, that IIRC has air
> conditioning and slightly less basic rooms, and is 38 euro/night,
> as well as other more expensive chains.

Prices are a bit higher in some locations, and there's often a surcharge (6
euro) for a second person. Still very reasonable. Oh, one other difference
between Formule 1 and Etap is that you have your own bathroom/shower in the
Etap, while the Formule 1 facilities are down the hall.

My son & I will be spending 5 nights in an Etap in Tarbes during the TdF.
Very convenient location, plus, of course, great price. You don't get the
quaint charm you might get elsewhere, and nothing about your hotel room will
say that you're in France and not Elko, Nevada. But if you're going to
France, why do you want to spend time in your hotel room?

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:16:58 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "Mike
Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> But if you're going to
> France, why do you want to spend time in your hotel room?

exactly. out early in the morning to find patisseries, often out
all day. even more strange than the robohotel aspect for
formule1 & etap is that many of them are located near suburban
industrial parks and shopping centers, so the neighborhoods have
no charm, either, and everything, including places to eat, is far
away.

> exactly. out early in the morning to find patisseries, often out
> all day. even more strange than the robohotel aspect for
> formule1 & etap is that many of them are located near suburban
> industrial parks and shopping centers, so the neighborhoods have
> no charm, either, and everything, including places to eat, is far
> away.

Their locations are generally placed where land is cheap *and* the fast-food
places? Guess what? France is just like the US. People navigate using
McDonalds' etc as reference points.

But we'll have our bikes and I've already checked out the locations.
Shouldn't be too tough to find decent food etc.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:01:46 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Their locations are generally placed where land is cheap *and* the fast-food
>places? Guess what? France is just like the US. People navigate using
>McDonalds' etc as reference points.

There are also the "Pomme de Pain" fast-food restaurants, if you want
something with a bit more local colour.

arnieb wrote:
> My sweetie and I plan on taking our tandem ( Richey Skyliner ) to
> France for 17 days from the end of August through the middle of
> September. We have airline tickets to Paris and that's about the
> extent of our preparations so far.
>
> We want to cycle in the Provence region, staying at several B&B's and
> making day sojourns out into the country and back. After a few days at
> one B&B we'd then ride to another one and repeat the process.
>
> My only plan so far is to book a B&B for the first night in Paris and
> then for the last two nights. I hope that we can then store some
> luggage and our tandem travel bike box there. I've taken the tandem to
> England and Holland so far, but France will be a completely new
> experience.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Arnie

I would suggest checking your airline's website immediately and finding
out what the rules about taking bicycles on planes are. Like Mike said,
airlines are looking for ways to keep ticket prices down and revenue up,
and one way to do that is to charge for types of baggage that used to
travel for free, and enforce fees that used to be overlooked or waived.
Checked baggage allowances are shrinking, size and weight limits are
being enforced, and airlines that used to count a bicycle as one piece
of checked baggage on flights to Europe are now charging large sums for
bicycles. Most of the airlines that I checked with while planning last
year's trip and next year's trip say "no tandems". When did you take
your tandem to England & Holland, and how did you get it there?

Apologies if you've heard this all before.

>>Their locations are generally placed where land is cheap *and* the
>>fast-food
>>places? Guess what? France is just like the US. People navigate using
>>McDonalds' etc as reference points.

> There are also the "Pomme de Pain" fast-food restaurants, if you want
> something with a bit more local colour.

Which are actually not half-bad! But the best "chain" has got to be "PAUL"
in Paris. Sandwiches to die for. Several Paris, including one at CDG and I
believe Gare du Nord as well.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>Most of the airlines that I checked with while planning last year's trip
>and next year's trip say "no tandems". When did you take your tandem to
>England & Holland, and how did you get it there?

Bought a tandem with S&S couplers. Deassembled it into two bags, both
fitting within airline regulations for luggage. Put it back together when we
got there.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:56:21 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[fast food]

>Which are actually not half-bad! But the best "chain" has got to be "PAUL"
>in Paris.

Definitely agree with that.

>Sandwiches to die for. Several Paris, including one at CDG and I
>believe Gare du Nord as well.

Yes, and spreading. I counted two at the Gare Saint-Lazare, and one
in the rue de Rennes last week.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 09:01:46 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Mike
Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shouldn't be too tough to find decent food etc.

If you can read menus, it's not hard to find really great food in
France at reasonable prices. In small towns & villages, I found
it worthwhile to ask at the local bistro, or sit at a cafe table
and watch where folks are walking. If it's dinner time and a lot
of folks are heading for the little restaurant up the lane across
from the church, I head over that way too.

fruit & veg vendors are another good source of restaurant
referrals.

>> Shouldn't be too tough to find decent food etc.
>
> If you can read menus, it's not hard to find really great food in
> France at reasonable prices. In small towns & villages, I found
> it worthwhile to ask at the local bistro, or sit at a cafe table
> and watch where folks are walking. If it's dinner time and a lot
> of folks are heading for the little restaurant up the lane across
> from the church, I head over that way too.

You don't even have to read the menus to get decent food. I've done very
well simply ordering the plat du jour (basically, "today's special" or plate
of the day) almost everywhere I go. Sometimes you can't for your life figure
out what it is, but it's nearly always very good. If I wanted something
predictable, I'd go to McDonalds. But that's not why I go to France!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

news:[email protected]...