Touring Lake Superior, USA/Canada

sparkyrasmus

Jan 30, 2004
Has anyone taken a circle route around Lake Superior?

I am looking for a ride for myself (53) and my son (13 years old) We did a 260 mile ride last summer, and look to increase our distance this year. We live in southwestern Minnesota and would leave unsupported from home.

Originally posted by sparkyrasmus

I am looking for a ride for myself (53) and my son (13 years old) We did a 260 mile ride last summer, and look to increase our distance this year. We live in southwestern Minnesota and would leave unsupported from home.

I have ridden parts of the southern Lake Superior route.
I especially like the area around the western end "Porkies" and the KEWEENAW PENINSULA.
You will get some car oriented information by googling "Lake Superior Circle Tour" at URL:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="Lake+Superior+circle+tour"+
I came accross some very nice Canadian riders when I was on rides. They expressed thoughts that it was much nicer to bicycle tour the USA shores of Lake Superior than the roads they used on the Canadian side.
One site I found on the subject at URL:
http://www.lakesuperior.com/online/212/212biking.html
I camped in the same campgrounds with some motorcycle touring groups. They were helpful in dicussing scenery, sites that are a few miles off route, and other local information.
There are some very nice waterfalls and light houses along or near the route.

Thanks for your info. We'll probably spend as much time getting to and from the shore as riding it. There are a few rails to trails along our route to and from. A great one is the willard munger trail from Duluth to Hinkley.
A few questions . . .
1) How was the riding along the porkies. Are the roads wide enough with shoulders to feel safe with harried vacationers doing seventy?
2) Did you get as far west as Superior/Duluth?

Thanks for your info. We'll probably spend as much time getting to and from the shore as riding it. There are a few rails to trails along our route to and from. A great one is the willard munger trail from Duluth to Hinkley.
A few questions . . .
1) How was the riding along the porkies. Are the roads wide enough with shoulders to feel safe with harried vacationers doing seventy?
2) Did you get as far west as Superior/Duluth?

1. Riding by the porkies was nice, but I don't remember the road situations
2. I didn't ride to Superior/Duluth area.

Let's see...did the full circle route in 1974?? or thereabouts. Great ride. LOTS of hills, especially once you get past Thunder Bay. Ironically, sometimes hard to find water in Canada--north shore is all rock. Take a side trip to Madelaine Island off Bayfield, WI.
Can't really comment on much else since I haven't been up there recently.

dale b

My younger brother and I circled Lake Superior in 14 days starting June 7th of 2003. It was an amazing trip and I would recommend it to anyone. If you wold like more in depth information, just reply back and I can email you information. As far as the roads go, we really didn't encounter any major problems. The smallest width of shoulders we encountered, were all in Canada. US roads were poorer quality, but larger shoudlers I would say. Good luck on the trip! It will be very memorable! We're from Duluth/Minneapolis...

I am recently retired and plan to bike this summer around Lake Superior. Our group of four plan to leave around June 13th from Duluth area and make a 2.5 week trek around the lake. I am wondering about the weather conditions on the Canadian side. What should we expect mid June. Any information would be appreciated.

I have biked that area a couple of times and I would not take a 13 year old on the Canadian side of Lake Superior. There is just too much truck traffic on that highway, and it does not have a paved shoulder.
The south shore, through Michigan and Wisconsin is fine. There is a nice wide shoulder and there are two routes you could take, one along the shore and another, (Hwy #2, I think) a little to the south. You could take one as far as the Machinaw Bridge and come back on the other. There are lots of nice campgrounds along both routes and many interesting little towns, sites, etc. I think that would be a nice safe trip for you both.
I would especially recommend going "off route", a little, to Bayfield, Wisconsin and taking the one day boat trip around the Apostle Islands. It will give you a nice little break from your cycling and the tour is very well done. Same thing when you get to the "Painted Rock Area" on Lake Superior.
Also, be sure and get some "local advice" on a good bike route for descending that hill at Duluth. On a loaded bike, it is sure to catch your attention.

Have a good trip & a good summer.........byfred