Touring on a Mongoose Randaneur

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Phil, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

    Cheers

    Philip

    Tags:

  2. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:34:27 +1000, Phil wrote:

    > I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear. Does
    > anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

    The Mongoose Randonneur EX?

    See spec.:
    http://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/resources/randonneurexreview.pdf

    See review:
    http://www.australiancyclist.com.au/showarticle.php?s=4&a=433

    Are you going to use panniers to carry your gear, or a trailer ?

    I've never seen one in the flesh, but on paper it looks ok.
    Funny it doesn't come with racks, guess you might not want
    them if you use a trailer.

    I reckon it'd be fairly hard to beat for the price. Nice wheels, being
    around 100kg myself, that and gear, and the kids in the trailer,
    you want good wheels.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  3. "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    > Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Philip

    You get what you pay for. :)

  4. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:34:27 +1000, "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    >Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

    I use one for commuting. Some thoughts...

    - The standard gears don't go low enough for hilly, loaded touring.

    - The compact frame means that you'll probably have to use
    "extension" brackets to fit a normal rear rack, which might be a bit
    weak for heavy loads.

    - For greater strength, you'd probably want to get the wheels
    re-built by hand. My rear wheel busted a spoke after several months.

    - There isn't any micro-adjustment of the brakes, which is a minor
    hassle. You can get barrel adjusters fitted though.

    - Also, make sure you get one with good brakes (eg Shorty 4's) - the
    model a couple of years ago had crap ones.

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    > Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

    If you really want drop-bars and STI gear shifters, it looks like good
    value.
    But the gearing is way too high for loaded touring. Change the crankset
    for a 22-32-44 or similar, as used on mountain bikes.

    Alternatively, get a mountain bike with slicks :)

  6. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    On 2004-07-15, Phil <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    > Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?
    >
    > Cheers

    I've done a fair amount of touring on mine and it's good, brakes are a
    bit weak but not to bad, had some problems getting the front derailer
    adjusted properly, but otherwise no real mechanical issues.

    --
    | Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
    | Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
    | Musician | / \
    | Music Teacher |

  7. adam

    adam Guest

    "Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm think of buying the Mongoose for touring with full camping gear.
    > Does anyone out there with one care to coment on it's suitability?

    They are fine for fully loaded touring and pretty good value I think.
    I bought one and took it on a 6 weeks tour in France last year and it
    was great, not a single mechanical problem. I bought front and rear
    racks and panniers and a handlebar bag. I did change the gearing
    however, upgrading to ultegra 9 speed with a 12-34 cassette instead
    of the 12-30 that came standard. The rear derailleur had no problem
    shifting this. This gearing was fine for me even up L'Alpe Duez and Mont
    Vontoux, but I did these climbs without luggage.

    Also the tektro front brake was crap so I put on an Avid shorty caliper.
    Better power but they squealed badly until I toed the pads out (not in).
    Strange but it worked.

    I see the newer EX model has 9 speed tiagra (but still only a 30 rear
    cassette) and Avid shorty front brakes. I'm sure a bike shop would swap
    the rear cassette for next to nothing to make a sale. Also make sure the
    front forks have the rivnut in the forks for bolting on a front rack. Mine
    didn't for some reason and I had to send the forks back for this.

    Adam

  8. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Thanks for all the replys.