Touring on a Strada?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Nathan, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Has anyone done any extended touring on a Strada yet? If so, what are you thoughts on extended rides
    (e.g. multi-day ride for example).

    Nate

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Has anyone done any extended touring on a Strada yet? If so, what are you thoughts on extended
    > rides (e.g. multi-day ride for example).

    I looked at the Strada for just that purpose. Unfortunately, I was too short to reach the ground
    comfortably from the Strada seat. I opted for the Giro instead. If similarly equipped, I think the
    Strada will handle the task as well as the Giro (Or for that matter my Lightning which has handled
    touring duties for me recently).

    Before attempting any loaded tour however, I might want some beefier wheels. The Strada is equipped
    with 32H racing wheels which are IMO not suitable for loads and a tight cassette 12-27 group that
    does not give any help on hills.

    Here's what I'd change: Wheelset 36H Cassette 11-34 Rear derailleur Megarange 34T Chainrings
    50-40-28T or 50-40-26T Replace the 26X1 tires with a touring width (I'd recommend Vredestein
    S-licks 26X1.3)

    Here's what I would add: X-Eyed Midship rack (The Bacchetta seat is designed with built in tabs for
    this rack). RANS HT rear rack Fastback Hydration System

    This is how I have my Giro equipped. With the bike set up as described above, it should take you and
    your gear anywhere in the world that has ridable roads.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. This year I will be selling a STRADA TOUR version. This will be a STRADA frameset with a Kinesis
    Aluminum fork with V-Brakes. Basically it will be equipped very similar to the GIRO. The wheelset
    will be a DEORE Rhynolite combo. The planned gearing would be 48/38/28 or 26 with an 11/32 cassette.
    However, since most of the frameset builds will be custom it will be the buyers choice on most
    anything. However the prototype will be DEORE/DEORE
    LX/Rhynolite/SRAM Attack.

    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > Has anyone done any extended touring on a Strada yet? If so, what are you thoughts on extended
    > > rides (e.g. multi-day ride for example).
    >
    > I looked at the Strada for just that purpose. Unfortunately, I was too
    short to reach the
    > ground comfortably from the Strada seat. I opted for the Giro instead. If
    similarly equipped, I
    > think the Strada will handle the task as well as the Giro (Or for that
    matter my Lightning
    > which has handled touring duties for me recently).
    >
    > Before attempting any loaded tour however, I might want some beefier
    wheels. The Strada is
    > equipped with 32H racing wheels which are IMO not suitable for loads and a
    tight cassette 12-27
    > group that does not give any help on hills.
    >
    > Here's what I'd change: Wheelset 36H Cassette 11-34 Rear derailleur Megarange 34T Chainrings
    > 50-40-28T or 50-40-26T Replace the 26X1 tires with a touring width (I'd recommend Vredestein
    S-licks 26X1.3)

    > Here's what I would add: X-Eyed Midship rack (The Bacchetta seat is designed with built in
    > tabs for
    this rack).
    > RANS HT rear rack Fastback Hydration System
    >
    > This is how I have my Giro equipped. With the bike set up as described
    above, it should take
    > you and your gear anywhere in the world that has ridable roads.

    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > This year I will be selling a STRADA TOUR version. This will be a STRADA frameset with a Kinesis
    > Aluminum fork with V-Brakes. Basically it will be equipped very similar to the GIRO. The wheelset
    > will be a DEORE Rhynolite combo. The planned gearing would be 48/38/28 or 26 with an 11/32
    > cassette. However, since most of the frameset builds will be custom it will be the buyers choice
    > on most anything. However the prototype will be DEORE/DEORE
    > LX/Rhynolite/SRAM Attack.

    Will it also include the X-Eyed MidShip Bacchetta rack and a rear rack? What rear rack are you
    planning to use?

    As for touring gearing, I'd really like to see a bigger top gear. A 106 is a little low for a
    recumbent. On the other end, I'd like a lower low than the 21 g.i. or 20 g.i. available with the 32T
    big cog. I'm running a 50-40-26 on my Voyager which gives me a 18 g.i. low gear and 111 top gear(or
    ~33mph @ 100rpm).

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. pwolfe

    pwolfe New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2003
    Where did you get the Kinesis aluminum fork with canti studs and was it made for a MTB size 26 inch wheel? Thanks, Philip Wolfe