Touring Pakistan by bike...brilliant!

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Seven security guards killed in Pakistan attack on Spanish round-the-world cyclist Police ****** came under fire in highly volatile Balochistan province
José María Jiménez Gálvez / El País Madrid 22 ENE 2014 - 19:49 CET
1390393017_708923_1390407284_noticia_normal.jpg
Francisco Javier Colorado, pictured in Iran. / F. J. COLORADO'S WEBSITE

Recomendar en Facebook 11 Twittear 52 Enviar a LinkedIn 0
Enviar a Tuenti Enviar a Menéame Enviar a Eskup EnviarImprimirGuardar

A Spanish cyclist attempting to traverse the globe survived a suspected kidnap attempt in the volatile Pakistan province of Balochistan on Wednesday.

Francisco Javier Colorado Soriano, 27, was being ******ed through Mastung district by a 12-man police security team in two vehicles, which was assaulted about 50 kilometers west of the provincial capital, Quetta, at around 10am.

Seven members of the ****** were killed outright and five more wounded in the attack. Colorado escaped with minor injuries. Nine bystanders were also hurt and one of the assailants, an insurgent of Uzbek origin, was also killed. A day earlier, 28 people were killed in a bomb attack against a bus carrying Shia pilgrims through the area.

“It wasn’t a kidnap attempt,” Colorado said from a hotel in Lahore, where he had been flown by the Pakistan authorities. “It was an assassination attempt. They threw a grenade at me. I don’t think people attempt kidnaps like that.”

It was an assassination attempt. They threw a grenade at me"
The Spaniard had entered Pakistan from Iran on Tuesday evening. “Now in Pakistan, with 10,000 kilometers covered since October 1. Next stop, Islamabad,” Colorado had posted on a social network page. Spain’s foreign minister and Balochistan’s interior secretary, Rehman Gailani, agreed that the attack had been carried out with the aim of kidnapping Colorado. The Interior Ministry advises travelers to avoid the area “except for reasons of extreme urgency and necessity,” noting that a “high risk of a foreign national being kidnapped exists in the entire country.”

The area is notorious for attacks by Balochistani insurgents and other armed groups. Last year more than 600 people were killed in the region.

Colorado began his journey in Madrid and plans to travel across the world over the course of two years. He said he has no plans to abandon his attempt and will continue on to India after staying overnight in Lahore.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/01/22/inenglish/1390416358_353665.html

Maybe a relaxing tour through Syria, Somalia, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Chechnaya, Dagestan, The Democratic Republic of Congo and North Korea is in order for the thrill seekers. Or maybe just riding across Detroit...

Any country where you eat with an ayatollah looking over your shoulder ain't no place turn pedals.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB Maybe a relaxing tour through Syria, Somalia, Libya, Iraq, Iran, Chechnaya, Dagestan, The Democratic Republic of Congo and North Korea is in order for the thrill seekers. Or maybe just riding across Detroit...

******ed???
big-smile.png
He was actually ******ed by the police? Wonder what he told them to get the ******...

"Hey Pakistani police! I heard that there are some great dried figs over there... Can you like, "******" me there to get some and post a picture of them on Facebook?"
big-smile.png

Well, he "got some" all right...
big-smile.png

Thats what I am telling to all these "open-minded", "positive", "adventure seekers" coming for touring in my glorious hometown... But nooooo... Its "adventure"... They think that with their "blasé" looks, "Open minded" and "positive" dirty hippie attire they wont have any problems and rainbows are gonna be following them and not stray dogs... and then they come and the bikes get stolen, the mobile phones get stolen, the drinks are spiked and the beer costs 7euro next to a trashcan...

Well... where there is smoke there might -actually- be fire...

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
E-S-C-O-R-T!!!

There...I said it!
So a skanky bike-hippie got a police e-s-c-o-r-t through an unstable area to buy dried figs to post an "all open minded and stuff" post on Facebook???

How?

Why didn’t he get a ^&^#@ armoured vehicle convoy instead? Oh yeah, "open minded" "bike-hippies" travel cheap... Its the "positive" way to do it...
big-smile.png

Terrible...

I can't believe he was provided with a military e-s-c-o-r-t through injun county.

Any military/law enforcement with any sense would have told him to **** off and take a detour. That decision cost them seven men.

Bribes must be cheap in Pakistan.

You know...back in the day I avoided Greece when cycle touring. Too risky for Americans to go where hippy commies weren't yet killed by the army.

Insanity.

This cyclist was doing what he's doing in the full knowledge of the risks that he was taking.
Seven people are dead, in part, due to this cyclists reckless gamble.

Most Westerners are aware that Pakistan is a no go location for them.
They should be aware that Quetta is especially a no go area.
Obviously these areas should be accessible, but this isn't a debate about that.

This Spaniard is wholly irresponsible in my view.

Bribes must be cheap in Pakistan.
When I was in Austria there was this girl that showed up to my place (friend of my neighbour) who had just returned from her open-minded trip to India, complete with Henna tattoos and probably some kind of stomach infection.

She told us that in India you can pay the police to "plant" drugs to somebody's home and put them away!
big-smile.png
Maybe that's a rumour (lots of rumours maybe fly around in these places) but that was proper "midnight express" horror stuff...
big-smile.png

You know...back in the day I avoided Greece when cycle touring. Too risky for Americans to go where hippy commies weren't yet killed by the army.
I would still avoid Thessaloniki and especially Athens... The rest of the place... not "too bad"...
wink.png

Maybe this would be the "gentleman" you were trying to avoid. It's the "Alienator" of Greek terrorists:

Savvas Xiros:

Here's his CV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutionary_Organization_17_November

By the way these apparently were just a criminal organization "pretending" to be terrorists, they were mainly just robbing banks and stuff. They managed to launch a DIY rocket from a fishing dingy to an embassy building on the seafront!!!
big-smile.png

Which by the way... has now escaped! from prison!:
big-smile.png

Police launch search for November 17 convict:

http://www.enetenglish.gr/?i=news.en.article&id=1687

I was headed to Thessaloniki at the time...to see two American girls with family there. Bad vibes in Italy, talking with Americans that had returned from Greece. Those stories reinforced what we were told in France and heard later in Northern Europe.

Sometimes you can't avoid the eeevil because the call of the poon is very strong to a young (and naive) man.

One of my business partners is a naturalized Greek. Both he and his father went to war against the commies. My partner's daughter is drop-dead gorgeous and also VERY good with a knife! She shoots pistols as accurately as any man and has received some good tactical training.

I was headed to Thessaloniki at the time...to see two American girls with family there. Bad vibes in Italy, talking with Americans that had returned from Greece. Those stories reinforced what we were told in France and heard later in Northern Europe.
Yeah, there is an American school and also a big American embassy there (a favourite in every protest). I think that's where the DIY rocket was launched to (when it was on the seafront). It's moved now and there were rumours of it getting closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Sometimes you can't avoid the eeevil because the call of the poon is very strong to a young (and naive) man.

Well, if you look like a "Double-tranvestite on something" it happens sometimes
big-smile.png
:

By the way the guy didn't "forget" to go back to prison from his complimentary terrorist prison Christmas leave, he uploaded recently a video, al-Qaeda style with black curtains and everything, saying some stuff but it looks very fake... With second party the ever more red going "light left" and third party the fascists maybe its a set up... Or maybe I'm being paranoid... Whichever works!
big-smile.png

But... 4 million euro reward for his capture. Do you feel lucky?
big-smile.png
Motownboy got a Di2 Roubaix, maybe you also want a SRAM Hydraulic disk endurance - something?
big-smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
My partner's daughter is drop-dead gorgeous and also VERY good with a knife! She shoots pistols as accurately as any man and has received some good tactical training.

Hook us up then...
love.png

0.jpg

0.jpg

Quote by Volnix:
"Hook us up then...
love.png
"

I would not want to be responsible for the authorities finding you in multiple pieces.
sad.png

If I were 30 years younger you would have to get in line behind me!

I would not want to be responsible for the authorities finding you in multiple pieces.
sad.png
Wot? Is she a wackjob or something?
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Good to know that he only had minor injuries and he had survived the attack. Wish him all the best for the remainder of his stay is Pakistan and the rest of his round the world trip.