Touring Recommendations

sierra_mike_g

Mar 6, 2006
I am getting back into touring and would like to take some short trips, 7 days max and completely self sufficient, but have completely toured they area I live and would like to tour areas I have not been, for example in the sierras or other mountain ranges. My question is, what is the best way to get my bike and gear to the destination I would like to ride (by train for example) without having to completely disassemble and box my bike? Riding directly from my house is not an option because of the time lost to bike to the location. I am looking for public transit type suggestions, and anything else would be helpful.

Thanks

Sierra Mike:) :D

I rode from Toronto to Montreal & took a train back. All we had to do was remove the pedals, turn the handlebars & put the bike in a free box that we were given. It was pretty pain-free. There are only one or two trains leaving Montreal that allow bikes though... so you'll want to check with whatever company you go thru if you decide to take a train.

-Pete

sierra_mike_g said:
I am getting back into touring and would like to take some short trips, 7 days max and completely self sufficient, but have completely toured they area I live and would like to tour areas I have not been, for example in the sierras or other mountain ranges. My question is, what is the best way to get my bike and gear to the destination I would like to ride (by train for example) without having to completely disassemble and box my bike? Riding directly from my house is not an option because of the time lost to bike to the location. I am looking for public transit type suggestions, and anything else would be helpful.

Thanks

Sierra Mike:) :D
I only have a vague idea where Santa Cruz is, so I have no specific advice for you.

My general advice is this: Yes it is possible to use public transit to get to a starting point for a tour. I have used everything from elevators to buses, streetcars, subways, trains and airplanes. Often local public transport has rush hour blackout times for bikes. Some regional bus carriers won't take bikes and some trains only take bikes wehen there is a baggage car. Almost everyone charges so ask about that too.

You are on the internet so you have almost limitless resources available for research.

Let's say as supercourse suggests we are going to take a trip from Toronto to Montreal. The choice of directions is important. Wrong choice and you have headwinds the whole way. Weather services keep records of prevailing winds during the year. That can make interesting research.

If you are considering flying or taking the train to a starting point, the transport company web site is full of useful information. Check out 'baggage' and 'sports equipment' to find out how your bike will be treated. Since I am not currently under care, I choose the easiest way to travel with a bike in transit. If I can't roll it I bag it in a plastic bag. Take tools because they want you to reverse pedals and turn bars.

I don't wish to shamelessly plug my tour diraies but they are full of practical suggestions to make touring easy and comfortable.

This is a supposed to be a lot of fun. Never forget that.