touring: road and trail wisdom: 70 tips!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael McGarry, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Brunswick_kate

    Brunswick_kate New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2003
    ENJOY YOURSELF. When the morning starts with "oh God, do I have to do this again", you need a rest day.

  3. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "michael mcgarry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm compiling some touring tips and have reached 70 lean tips... but still have to get to 100 to
    > finish... if you would like to throw-in a tip, please feel free.
    > http://bicyclelane.com/road_trail_wisdom/road_trail_wisdom.htm

    Suggestions for new ones:

    * If you can take only one item, make it your credit card. Better yet, carry two credit cards --from
    different banks! -- in case there are problems
    (e.g. the magnetic strip on one goes south).

    * Every now and then, cover up the bike computer so you don't become obsessed with how far
    or how fast.

    * Many more tourists complain about maps that aren't detailed enough, than about maps that are too
    detailed. You can mail maps of areas you've finished home, or throw them out.

    Nitpicking old ones:

    Tip #7: Einstein invented drafting? That's relatively unlikely.

    Tip #31 is to cycle with the prevailing winds, but tip #34 says if it is a windy day, start
    early. In isolation they are OK, but if there's going to be a big tailwind, there's no reason to
    start early.

    Do you really need to mention hand signals at least twice? #14 and #43 Also drain gratings,
    #?? and #45.

    #51 is nice. It really is to your advantage to negotiate with a hotel/motel
    by phone. Not only do you not look at grungy, they also have more concern you will go
    somewhere else.

    #58: "Long steep hills are best if you go high gear and slow" -- don't you
    mean low gear?

  4. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 03:43:05 GMT, Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > #58: "Long steep hills are best if you go high gear and slow" -- don't
    > you mean low gear?

    Hmm...

    58: Hill climbing should be approached like proper
    barbequeing -- Low And Slow.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  5. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 03:43:05 GMT, Mike Kruger <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > #58: "Long steep hills are best if you go high gear and slow" -- don't
    > > you mean low gear?
    >
    > Hmm...
    >
    > 58: Hill climbing should be approached like proper barbequeing -- Low And Slow.

    I like that!

    --

    "Where was the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka- boom!"
    - Marvin The Martian

  6. [email protected] (michael mcgarry) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm compiling some touring tips and have reached 70 lean tips... but still have to get to 100 to
    > finish... if you would like to throw-in a tip, please feel free.
    > http://bicyclelane.com/road_trail_wisdom/road_trail_wisdom.htm

    1. Always keep your wallet in the same pack/pocket, so you never mistakenly think you've lost it.

    2. I can understand the appeal of long beards, but really you should include some women in your
    pictures of wise folk. :)