Touring SE Asia, Tibet, Nepal - any advice?

tommy2630

Apr 15, 2006
Hiya,
I'm leaving at the end of the year on an 18 month tour of Asia - probably from singapore, up through malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao, then attempt to cross Tibet then over into Nepal. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated (road quality,traffic, camping availability, technical advice, stuff like that) - particularly for the Tibet leg of the trip. I can't seem to find out for sure whether i would get away with crossing eastern Tibet without ending up being arrested/deported. Also, has anyone cycle in Borneo or the Phillipines?

Cheers,

Tom

I have cycled in all these countries, ifact, just got back last week from Cambo and PI. The conditions in each country varies as much as the cultures and languages. As such, I suggest you research each country individually. Do a search on "cycling" AND "(the country name)".

Also, Mr. Pumpy's website covers many of these countries. Easy to find on a google search.

Don't expect to do much camping and get comfortable with riding traffic without road rules.

tommy2630 said:
Hiya,
I'm leaving at the end of the year on an 18 month tour of Asia - probably from singapore, up through malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Lao, then attempt to cross Tibet then over into Nepal. Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated (road quality,traffic, camping availability, technical advice, stuff like that) - particularly for the Tibet leg of the trip. I can't seem to find out for sure whether i would get away with crossing eastern Tibet without ending up being arrested/deported. Also, has anyone cycle in Borneo or the Phillipines?

Cheers,

Tom
From my side you get a recommendation of the Sichuan - Tibet crossing into Tibet. Specifically, it's the Chengdu - Kangding - Dege - Tibet crossing. All the way to the first pass after Kangding (some 4200 m) it's all wonderful tarmac, then it turns into a gravel/dirt road, but the traffic significantly decreases and the scenery more than makes up for the bumps (moreover the Chinese are quick at building roads and you can expect new stretches of fresh asphalt every now and then). The most wonderful experience in Kham (eastern Tibet now in Sichuan Province) has to be crossing the Que'er pass at well over 5000 m between Manigange and Dege. Then it's all downhill all the way to Dege - at circa 2000 m below. In Dege catch up with some backpackers to check the latest on the police checkpoint down on the Changjiang (Yangzi) - the border with Tibet.
Oh, when still in Chengdu you could want to stock up on quality spare parts and sip up on the latest cycling events in an excellent bike store "Lao Che Mi" (meaning "Old Cycling Maniac"). If you don't speak Chinese go to Dave's cafe in south of town - he'll write you the directions.
As for China-Tibet guidebooks: my eyes won't look upon none other than the wonderful Lonely Planet. Nothing out there quite like it, not even the self-appointed "mountain-biking Tibet guides" can do as much as half the trick.
That's about it, so far - feel free to inquire further.
Now it's time for my curiosity to be satiated:
Do you go alone?
On what kind of equipment?
What local languages do you speak?
Well, that'be enough for now!
Regards,
Rafal Felbur (Poland)