Touring Suggestions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Lyndon, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    I am in Portland, OR, getting ready to take my Giro on its maiden touring voyage. I plan to ride Hwy
    30 up to Astoria, then the Hwy 101 Coastal Route down to Crescent City, CA for the Redwoods. I tried
    calling the local ride groups, but they be a bit cooked with the STP ride last weekend (Seattle to
    Portland). I am going to Coventry Cycles tomorrow, to see if they have any advice on dialing in my
    Giro better. All suggestions about this 475 mile trek would be appreciated. Lyndon Salt Lake City

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Lyndy46 @yahoo.com says...
    > I am in Portland, OR, getting ready to take my Giro on its maiden touring voyage. I plan to ride
    > Hwy 30 up to Astoria, then the Hwy 101 Coastal Route down to Crescent City, CA for the Redwoods. I
    > tried calling the local ride groups, but they be a bit cooked with the STP ride last weekend
    > (Seattle to Portland). I am going to Coventry Cycles tomorrow, to see if they have any advice on
    > dialing in my Giro better. All suggestions about this 475 mile trek would be appreciated. Lyndon
    > Salt Lake City

    I think my Giro is 'dialed in' what questions do you have? Have you tried the touring mailing list?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    Thanks Cletus I just thought the local Bacchetta dealer here may have some suggestions, especially
    with handlebar angle and brake adjustments. I guess I will just run into touring groups along the
    road. Can't raise a ghost in Portland this week, following the STP run last week. I wonder how
    people fared down along the California/Nevada border for the DeathRide that was July 12? Thanks,
    again Cletus, I'll try to check the net at libraries and net cafe's along the road, though it
    won't be as easy as in Alaska. Up there, you go into a little town, and everything is on the main
    road. Lyndon

  4. [email protected] (Lyndon) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks Cletus I just thought the local Bacchetta dealer here may have some suggestions, especially
    > with handlebar angle and brake adjustments. I guess I will just run into touring groups along the
    > road. Can't raise a ghost in Portland this week, following the STP run last week. I wonder how
    > people fared down along the California/Nevada border for the DeathRide that was July 12?

    Yes;Hwy. 101 is deathride all right- but it does not come near the coast around here. Suggest
    trying Hwy. 1 (another deathride, but at least you have a view of the Pacific ocean for the last
    few moments.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    > Suggest trying Hwy. 1 (another deathride, but at least you have a view of the Pacific ocean for
    > the last few moments.

    Chris

    Is that the one called The Grapevine?

    Jerry

    PS.

    I went down Hwy 1 from Long Beach towards San Diego and the worst hazzard to navigation was the
    girls on skates wearing thong bikinis. I found it hard to avoid hitting loaded touring bikes.

  6. Ron Levine

    Ron Levine Guest

    On 16 Jul 2003 06:23:29 -0700, [email protected] (Christopher Jordan) wrote:

    >[email protected] (Lyndon) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Thanks Cletus I just thought the local Bacchetta dealer here may have some suggestions,
    >> especially with handlebar angle and brake adjustments. I guess I will just run into touring
    >> groups along the road. Can't raise a ghost in Portland this week, following the STP run last
    >> week. I wonder how people fared down along the California/Nevada border for the DeathRide that
    >> was July 12?
    >
    >Yes;Hwy. 101 is deathride all right- but it does not come near the coast around here.

    But the July 12 Death Ride was not on Hwy 101, and even farther from the coast. Rather, as Lyndon
    mentions, it was along the Calif/Nevada border, namely "Markleeville Death Ride", also known as the
    "Tour of the California Alps", see http://www.deathride.com/ . 125 miles with five major mountain
    passes and 16000 feet of climbing. So popular in No. Calif. that you need to enter a lottery months
    in advance and hope to get in.

    > Suggest trying Hwy. 1 (another deathride, but at least you have a view of the Pacific ocean for
    > the last few moments.

    Hwy 1 is a fine ride, much preferable to 101, and best made north to south, which is the way the
    wind blows and which puts you on the sea side of the road.

    I've ridden it from its northern end at Legget in Humboldt County all the way to Los Angeles.

  7. [email protected] (Jerry Rhodes) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Suggest trying Hwy. 1 (another deathride, but at least you have a view of the Pacific ocean for
    > > the last few moments.
    > >
    > Chris
    >
    > Is that the one called The Grapevine?
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > PS.
    >
    > I went down Hwy 1 from Long Beach towards San Diego and the worst hazzard to navigation was the
    > girls on skates wearing thong bikinis. I found it hard to avoid hitting loaded touring bikes.

    The Grapevine is highway 5, I think, since it is interstate, but I don't know for sure. For most of
    the state of California, highway 1 is much closer to the cliffs (Devils Slide, the Big Sur wandering
    2 laner come to mind) than 101.

    PS- Sounds to me that I might run into a palm tree or two in southern Calif.!

    Chris

  8. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Jerry Rhodes) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Suggest trying Hwy. 1 (another deathride, but at least you have a view of the Pacific ocean for
    > > the last few moments.
    > >
    > Chris
    >
    > Is that the one called The Grapevine?
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > PS.
    >
    > I went down Hwy 1 from Long Beach towards San Diego and the worst hazzard to navigation was the
    > girls on skates wearing thong bikinis. I found it hard to avoid hitting loaded touring bikes.

    "The Grapevine" is I-5 north of Los Angeles, through the Los Padres National Forest. Chris is
    refering to Highway 1 between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo- a beautiful road spoiled by too many
    freakin' tourists. In this stretch, Highway 101 is quite a ways inland and seperated from Highway 1.
    Highway 1 from Long Beach to Sandy-Eggo is paradise in comparison.

    Jeff

    Jeff

  9. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > Chris is refering to Highway 1 between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo- a beautiful road spoiled by
    > too many freakin' tourists.

    I am sometimes a "freakin' tourist" myself, and you couldn't find a nicer person anywhere. Or more
    humble. Although I did have a problem with pride, in the past. :)

    I pull my 5th wheel trailer w/ a big Ford up that road north towards Big Sur when I can't avoid it.
    It is so narrow and tight (the road, not the truck) on some curves I have to go like 4 mph.. the
    rocks on my right, my left front bumper way out in the opposing lane. Have to wait for traffic
    sometimes, the folks behind me are always patient and understanding. I mean, I guess they are.. I
    never look to see. I pull over whenever I can to let people by. But even though there are a lot of
    turnouts, these rubber-necking tourists (the economic base of the region) are all pulled out into
    these turnouts, to see the sights, so there is no room for me. "La la la.. Isn't this lovely... la
    la la" their heads in the clouds... while I have to continue dodging bullets and go the next turnout
    and hope. Of course, the BMW commercials don't help, showing a similar road sans traffic, a stoner
    smile on the face of the yuppie driver, in a 4-wheel-drift across the double yellow. Why DO they do
    that? Don't they know (continued in Rant #35)

    Yes, it is a tight road. You have your 72 yo man, in denial about his failing faculties, driving a
    wide RV that he hasn't driven since last August, and there is barely room for him by himself on
    that road, and he has whackers.. er.. I mean, mirrors sticking way out on the sides, and it is a
    rough precipitous 1000 feet down to the ocean, and you would ride a bike on that route? Lots of
    people do. Not I.

    I'v got it! Listen.. here''s the deal.. simply extend a roll bar, but we'll call it a whacker bar,
    vertically up above the seat back. It should deflect all but the most severe whacks. This
    potentially could open up many routes once deemed too dangerous for bikes!

    Friday-itis. Sorry. GeoB

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Chris is refering to Highway 1 between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo- a beautiful road spoiled by
    > > too many freakin' tourists.
    >
    > I am sometimes a "freakin' tourist" myself, and you couldn't find a nicer person anywhere. Or more
    > humble. Although I did have a problem with pride, in the past. :)

    <snip>

    > Friday-itis. Sorry. GeoB

    S'all right. I ride a fair amount on the Old Gorge Highway in the Columbia Gorge. It was built to
    Model T dimensions, back in 1914. A couple weeks back a tourist bus nearly got itself stuck up
    against a cliff when the driver cut a turn too tight. He had to wait for opposing traffic to clear
    before he could straighten out and get around the corner.

    Jeff

  11. nodiak

    nodiak New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Back in the mid 80's, during one of the times Hwy. 1 was closed because of a mudslide, my friend and I rode from Monterey to San Luis Nabisco. Had the whole beautiful place to ourselves, well almost as there was a dribble of local traffic here and there. The actual slide was less than 100 ft. of walkable mud. Was a gas using the full roadwidth on fast curving downhills, could relax and check out the seals on the beach dooooowwwnn the cliff, etc. Fun couple of days on bikes. Don