Touring the country by yourself

The problem with trying to ride the slower rider's speeds is that I absolutely MUST ride my own speed when I'm climbing. If I try to ride slower I hit the wall and usually I can't ride faster since I climb near my max. I also pedal circles while a large majority of riders do not. That means I'm over-running anyone in front of me and ultimately someone swerves over and takes out my front wheel.

It's important for me that the group is not racing, at the same time each one has their own speed and we need to respect that.

When cycling as a group, your right to say that it's important that it is actually group cycling and we're not trying to compete against each other. While I'm sure that near the end of the route, none of us want to get there last, at the same time it's more important that we all make it to the end eventually and if you get there first, that doesn't mean anything if only half the group actually gets there.

Reactions: Corzhens
When cycling as a group, your right to say that it's important that it is actually group cycling and we're not trying to compete against each other. While I'm sure that near the end of the route, none of us want to get there last, at the same time it's more important that we all make it to the end eventually and if you get there first, that doesn't mean anything if only half the group actually gets there.

I had ridden with a group so many times. In fact, there's no particular group because I just wait in the village gate (main road) for the riding groups that never fail to pass by during weekends. And I always choose a sizable group of say 50 or more. When riding, I don't really mind my own pacing and usually I am left behind although there are some kind riders who would ride with me even if their pacing was ruined by my slowness. However, there was a time when I arrived with the first group and it was rewarding to be seated under the tree while the other riders are still coming in.

Reactions: pwarbi
I think we all have that competitive streak, no matter if we think we don't, and like you say, it is satisfying sat there knowing that you was one of the first to get to the rendezvous point as you're watching the others come through.

Just to take up your other point @Corzhens you say you join any cycling group that goes past, do you not find that riding with strangers can be more hard work than riding with those that you know? I've done the same in the past and while it's a good way to meet new people, at the same time I have got some funny looks as if to say what are you doing here?

Pretty much. If the goal is to go together we stick together, if it's a competition it's a different thing certainly.

Riding alone can be lonely and dangerous, especially if the trip concerns touring around the country. Don't get me wrong, this actually sounds like a lot of fun. After all, your friend will get to see parts of the country he may not have visited in the past. But it's best to tour together with a friend or an assistant.

I couldn't do it. I like riding alone, but touring all by myself? I would get pretty bored and worse of all, If I needed some kind of help I'd bee alone too. It's not a good idea to be honest.

Just to take up your other point @Corzhens you say you join any cycling group that goes past, do you not find that riding with strangers can be more hard work than riding with those that you know? I've done the same in the past and while it's a good way to meet new people, at the same time I have got some funny looks as if to say what are you doing here?

You are right on that point - hard work in terms of pacing because I don't know any of them from Adam. But you get used to it after 3 rides. If you still don't know, I am a leisure rider and I only join riding groups for curiosity or for fun and I really don't take it seriously. It's nice to we welcome by any groups that I join maybe because I have my own bike and I'm in proper attire. By the way, the distance I cover is just about 10 kilometers or so because that's the distance of our village to the traditional destination of cyclists in the mountain city of Antipolo.

I think that's also what I'd be more concerned about and not knowing them wouldn't be a problem, as I can get along with anybody, but it's more the fact that I wouldn't know there style of riding and they wouldn't know mine. With group cycling there can be forms of etiquette that the riders adhere to, and if your unfamiliar with what that group wants and does, then it could become an issue.

Most cyclists are a sociable bunch anyway, so while it wouldn't cause too many issues, I would feel a bit embarrassed for example if I took the lead but ended up powering off into the distance as they couldn't keep up with me or they had only planned to go at a set pace and I was unaware.

Well, it doesnt sound too bad with a friend the camera and being documented. But, being completely by myself is something I just couldn't do. Way too scary!

My bike had 1.90 tires and my friend has road tires and impossible to keep up.So I thought that if I put on narrower tires I could move along faster,so I had 1.50 tires put on and I feel it's harder for me is that possible?

Well I have to say that I like riding alone and being alone in general, but this does sound a little much. I think that I would love it, but i do know that there would be times when I would want someone else to be there. It sounds like an adventure though, and if that is what you crave then by all means go forth and travel. There are so many sights to see and smells to smell, and only so much time to do it.

Riding alone for me these days is basically commuting because when I am doing it for fun I am always with someone else.