touring training

john74

Sep 19, 2006
i am off to do a 1000 mile tour in 10 days in january. what is the best way to train for long distances, i currently ride about 100 miles a week but i dont think i could do this milage for 10 days back to back, any info would be great.

john74 said:
i am off to do a 1000 mile tour in 10 days in january. what is the best way to train for long distances, i currently ride about 100 miles a week but i dont think i could do this milage for 10 days back to back, any info would be great.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you should be building up your mileage gradually :)

Try to get at least one long ride in every week. I've done several long tours, although none with daily mileage as high as yours. So a typical training week for me might have been:
M: Off
T: 2hrs
W: 1.5hrs
T: 2hrs
F: Off
S: 3hrs
S: 5-6hrs

Just build up those weekend rides gradually. And if your tour is going over hilly terrain, be sure to include some hills in your training too.

Good luck and enjoy!!

just out of curiousity what sort of daily milage do you do on a tour.

john74 said:
just out of curiousity what sort of daily milage do you do on a tour.

Well, last one we did varied between 60 and 90kms per day. We were travelling fully loaded, front & rear panniers, in rather hilly Tuscany. Daily time in the saddle varied from 3.5 to 6hrs.

We're doing another tour this December in Thailand, but this time its an organised trip with a following vehicle carrying our luggage. Daily mileage of 80-140kms. I'm fit from racing at the moment (10-15hrs training per week), but my wife is hoping to survive with just 2-3 spinning classes per week and a weekend ride of 2-3hrs. Of course she's got me to push her up the hills when required :cool:

MidBunchLurker said:
Well, last one we did varied between 60 and 90kms per day. We were travelling fully loaded, front & rear panniers, in rather hilly Tuscany. Daily time in the saddle varied from 3.5 to 6hrs.

We're doing another tour this December in Thailand, but this time its an organised trip with a following vehicle carrying our luggage. Daily mileage of 80-140kms. I'm fit from racing at the moment (10-15hrs training per week), but my wife is hoping to survive with just 2-3 spinning classes per week and a weekend ride of 2-3hrs. Of course she's got me to push her up the hills when required :cool:
Oh man.....you're taking your wife, and your fitness level is far superior to hers. I can just imagine what you are going to go through. Best of luck with that.

Just came back from a 5 day 300 mile tour. You need to get your mileage up so that your weekly is at least half of what you will do on the tour and so that your long ride, at least once a week, is equal to the average ride you will do on the tour.

john74 said: