Touring tyre choice

Mads Hilberg

Guest
I recently cycled around Nova Scotia on my Streetmachine with the Schwalbe Marathons that came with
the bike. While I didn't get any punctures I found the tyres to be pretty slow. I'm currently using
Conti GPs, which are very fast, but I'm aware that they are somewhat more likely to puncture (hasn't
happened yet on the Norfolk roads though).

I'm going to New Zealand for 4 weeks in January and need to choose a tyre for that tour. What is the
general concensus on a tyre that gives a good balance between performance and puncture-resistance? I
don't intend to do much dirt road riding, except perhaps down the occasional vinyard drive.

Mads

let us know what size of tires you need. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS V2 Ti Rush,Ti Pursuit

Mads Hilberg wrote:

> I'm going to New Zealand for 4 weeks in January and need to choose a tyre for that tour. What is
> the general concensus on a tyre that gives a good balance between performance and
> puncture-resistance? I don't intend to do much dirt road riding, except perhaps down the
> occasional vinyard drive.

Continental Top Touring?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Mads Hilberg wrote:

<<What is the general concensus on a tyre that
> > gives a good balance between performance and puncture-resistance? I don't intend to do much dirt
> > road riding, except perhaps down the occasional vinyard drive.

Vredestein S-Licks!

Steve Baker Windcheetah K628

> I recently cycled around Nova Scotia on my Streetmachine with the Schwalbe Marathons that came
> with the bike. While I didn't get any punctures I found the tyres to be pretty slow. I'm currently
> using Conti GPs, which are very fast, but I'm aware that they are somewhat more likely to puncture
> (hasn't happened yet on the Norfolk roads though).
>
> I'm going to New Zealand for 4 weeks in January and need to choose a tyre for that tour. What is
> the general concensus on a tyre that gives a good balance between performance and
> puncture-resistance? I don't intend to do much dirt road riding, except perhaps down the
> occasional vinyard drive.

I am convinced the Vredestein S-Licks Offer the best of both worlds. These were the tires that I
used when I went to Denmark in August. On my Voyager, I have used Conti GP, Schwalb Stelvio and Vred
S-Licks. I have a 40+/- mile loop that I ride almost every Saturday. Before the trip I could average
17-18 mph with either Conti GP or Stelvios on the Voyager. Since the trip, I have not gotten around
to replacing the S-Licks On the Voyager. My averages for the same loop are 16-17+ mph.

The S-Licks are my touring tire of choice. I also use them on my Giro for daily commuting on some
real crappy roads and H&B. Lately, I have been riding my commuting bike on the Saturday ride. The
bike is 8 lbs heavier than the Voyager. It has fenders, two racks, and a SON Hub. I have still been
able to average 16 mph with the S-Licks on the Giro. I have not been flat free while commuting, but
I have no compelling reason to ride on any other tire.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> Mads Hilberg wrote:
>
> > I'm going to New Zealand for 4 weeks in January and need to choose a tyre for that tour. What is
> > the general concensus on a tyre that gives a good balance between performance and
> > puncture-resistance? I don't intend to do much dirt road riding, except perhaps down the
> > occasional vinyard drive.
>
> Continental Top Touring?

Too heavy and slow, worse than Schwalbe Marathons.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

> Vredestein S-Licks!
>
> Steve Baker Windcheetah K628

I find the Grand Prixs are one of the toughest tires I have ridden on. Problem is their narrow with
doesn't make them a good all purpose tire. We rode the S-Licks on our tandem and they were a nice
combination of low rolling resistance and puncture resistant. The only downside I found is that when
you do eventually change a flat they are a real killer to get off the rim. I have some experience
also with IRC Metros. They were fast. Don't know about their durability. I had some flats with them
but it was due to a small wire I couldn't initially locate in the tire until my second flat. If
width isn't a problem, my vote is for Grand Prixs. If you want more of a touring tire, S-Licks.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

I fitted S-Licks to my Speedmachine for the winter of 2001-02 and was not terribly impressed. They
were definitely slower than Conti GPs and seemed no more proof against visits from the P+nct+r+
Fairy. Since which time I've been back to GP's, thence to Stelvios and a short foray into Hutchinson
Top Slick on the rear, as I needed a tyre at short notice. BUT I don't think I'd use any of these
for extended touring.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> I fitted S-Licks to my Speedmachine for the winter of 2001-02 and was not terribly impressed. They
> were definitely slower than Conti GPs and seemed no more proof against visits from the P+nct+r+
> Fairy. Since which time I've been back to GP's, thence to Stelvios and a short foray into
> Hutchinson Top Slick on the rear, as I needed a tyre at short notice. BUT I don't think I'd use
> any of these for extended touring.

While I agree that the S-Licks are a tad slower than the GPs, I find them more durable and able to
withstand the abuse encopuntered in extended touring.

The Carcase of a Conti TT has considerably more rubber and is certainly a well built touring
tire(tyre) Because it is so well built, it is heavy and the tread induces additional road friction
making it a dog compared to the S-Lick. I think the S-Lick a good compromise.

The GP (and stelvio) have lightweight (thin) sidewalls and I have not had much luck preventing
sidewall tears on these tires. My Experience with the S-Licks has resulted in no sidewall cuts and
in comparing them to the Schwalbe Marathons in the original post, I think they are much faster and
about as durable.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

A second vote for Conti Top Touring. I ride on terrible urban roads, 15 mile R/T commute 5-6
days/wk, and have never had a....can't bear to curse my luck by saying it, but you know what I mean:
P**re. I have them fore and aft on my Ti Rush (700 28c and 406). Can't say I've ridden everything
out there, but I find these plenty fast, and very reliable in crappy weather, which is what I look
for from a touring/commuting tire.

Happy touring, Nathan

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

: The Carcase of a Conti TT has considerably more rubber and is certainly a well built touring
: tire(tyre) Because it is so well built, it is heavy and the tread induces additional road friction
: making it a dog compared to the S-Lick. I think the S-Lick a good compromise.

The TT can be pumped to 30 PSI lower pressure than the Marathon. Also threadless tires have better
hold on pavement in dry and rainy conditions. So, would you like to elaborate? :)

How about Vredestein Monte Carlos as an alternative to the S-Licks? Quite similar overall, maybe a
bit lower price but there is also a stronger version available for extra puncture resistance.

I have so few kilos on my trike that so far the only tire that's given me problems with punctures
have been the Schwalbe Stelvio. As long as you don't use them for touring, and can keep up with your
riding buddies, I'd think you're fine...

And how about the reflective sidebands in some tires? I really like that for commuting but is it an
essential feature for touring?

[email protected] says...
> Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : The Carcase of a Conti TT has considerably more rubber and is certainly a well built touring
> : tire(tyre) Because it is so well built, it is heavy and the tread induces additional road
> : friction making it a dog compared to the S-Lick. I think the S-Lick a good compromise.
>
> The TT can be pumped to 30 PSI lower pressure than the Marathon. Also threadless tires have better
> hold on pavement in dry and rainy conditions. So, would you like to elaborate? :)

Since the Conti TT has a well developed tread, I think that makes for one more negative
against the TT.

Because on roads that are not smooth (we call the pavement process 'chip seal') treaded tires like
TT are slower because of the friction. On wet roads, treaded tires like the TT do not hold as well
as slicks which also can present problems cornering. About the only place where TT have an advantage
would be on unpaved roads where the surface is soft.

> How about Vredestein Monte Carlos as an alternative to the S-Licks? Quite similar overall, maybe a
> bit lower price but there is also a stronger version available for extra puncture resistance.

I have never tried the Monte Carlo and have no basis to recommend them. I prefer tires that are 27mm
or wider for loaded touring. The GPs and Stelvio are to narrow to be an adequate touring tire. IIRC
the Monte Carlo Are also a 25mm tire.

> And how about the reflective sidebands in some tires? I really like that for commuting but is it
> an essential feature for touring?

Reflective sidebands are only beneficial for cross traffic when stopped. I have no compelling reason
to purchase them even for commuting. I note the newer S-Licks now sport a reflective band. Earlier
tires did not. I did not see a difference in price.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

[email protected] wrote:

> Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : The Carcase of a Conti TT has considerably more rubber and is certainly a well built touring
> : tire(tyre) Because it is so well built, it is heavy and the tread induces additional road
> : friction making it a dog compared to the S-Lick. I think the S-Lick a good compromise.
>
> The TT can be pumped to 30 PSI lower pressure than the Marathon. Also threadless tires have better
> hold on pavement in dry and rainy conditions. So, would you like to elaborate? :)
>
> How about Vredestein Monte Carlos as an alternative to the S-Licks? Quite similar overall, maybe a
> bit lower price but there is also a stronger version available for extra puncture resistance....

John Lafford shows the Vredestein Monte Carlo (37-406) tires to have a significantly lower rolling
resistance than the Vredestein S-Licks (32-405) and a slightly lower rolling resistance than the
Continental Top Touring (37-406). [1] Complaints about the white font on black background may be
directed to Mr. Larrington.

[1] <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/tech/JL.htm>

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote:
> ... I have never tried the Monte Carlo and have no basis to recommend them. I prefer tires that
> are 27mm or wider for loaded touring. The GPs and Stelvio are to narrow to be an adequate touring
> tire. IIRC the Monte Carlo Are also a 25mm tire....

The 559-mm Vredestein Monte Carlo MTB slick [1] is listed as 26x1.3 [2] so it is about a 32-mm wide
tire, while the 406-mm Monte Carlo is listed as being about 37-mm wide.

[1] <http://www.vredesteinusa.com/sp-tyres/index.html>
[2] No ISO size listed - Arrrrrrrrgh!

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

[email protected] (Nathan Congdon) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A second vote for Conti Top Touring. I ride on terrible urban roads, 15 mile R/T commute 5-6
> days/wk, and have never had a....can't bear to curse my luck by saying it, but you know what I
> mean: P**re. I have them fore and aft on my Ti Rush (700 28c and 406). Can't say I've ridden
> everything out there, but I find these plenty fast, and very reliable in crappy weather, which is
> what I look for from a touring/commuting tire.
>
> Happy touring, Nathan

Interesting thread. It tends to confirm that one man's trash is another man's treasure. I had fairly
good results with the S-Licks but they were a tough sucker to remove from the rim. I don't know
about the Monte Carlo but if it has low rolling resistance then it would certainly be a
consideration. Someone didn't like the Stelvios. I have 2800 miles on my front tire (406) with no
flats and the only flat I got on the rear was a sidewall cut when I wheel it out of my LBS after
someone had broken the glass front door and I picked up a shard of glass from that. Otherwise it
would be 2800 miles on the rear too (559). but they are too thin for touring. By contrast, the Tioga
Comp Pool, not mentioned here but which is well thought of by many in other threads, just flatted on
me for the fifth time in 1200 miles (twice on my commuter in 400 miles, 3 times on my tandem in 800
miles). Yet, a friend in Albuquerque, the goat head thorn capital of the world, has nearly 4000
miles on a front Comp Pool on a V-Rex with no flats. Seems no rhyme or reason for that. If puncture
proof is key and you don't care how heavy the tire is, then the Kenda Kwest is highly thought of. If
speed is key, then the S-Licks will deliver decent performance. But no matter what you get, it seems
that the puncture fairy strikes at will and indiscriminately.

Mike S. St.Louis, Mo.

mike s <[email protected]> wrote:
: the Tioga Comp Pool, not mentioned here but which is well thought of by many in other threads,
: just flatted on me for the fifth time in 1200 miles (twice on my commuter in 400 miles, 3 times on
: my tandem in 800 miles). Yet, a friend in Albuquerque, the goat head thorn capital of the world,
: has nearly 4000 miles on a front Comp Pool on a V-Rex with no flats. Seems no rhyme or reason for
: that. If puncture proof is key and you don't care how heavy the tire is, then the Kenda Kwest is
: highly thought of. If speed is key, then the S-Licks will deliver decent performance. But no
: matter what you get, it seems that the puncture fairy strikes at will and indiscriminately.

The Puncture fairy probably knows her (his?) statistics quite well, and follows some nice
probability distribution like Poissons or something, at least it sounds and looks like that.

Riders and riding conditions can differ a lot in all the small details. One of my Stelvio flats was
probably caused by a very brief visit on gravel, the other I dunno at all, but it was in a commuting
situation. They could be an ok tire for regular riding that's done only on the smooth roads.