Touring tyre suggestions

Andrew Chadwick

Guest
A full-on visitation from the Puncture Fairy this evening, leaving me muddy, tired, and halfway
across town carrying the world's largest pannierful of shopping. To add insult to injury, I've just
broken my last-but-one tyre lever in fumbling around trying to fix it. Grr bloody grr. This has
happened three times over the past fortnight, so either the local kids are placing their broken
bottles more accurately these days or my tyres are - hidden from my sight behind winter permacack -
chock full of glass shards all happily pressing against the kevlar breakers and ready to burst out.

I'm considering replacing the mixed bag of cheapo UKP 13.00 tyres on this bike: a Panaracer Pasela
Club aft, and a Schwalbe Blizzard (kevlar) to the fore. The Panaracer seems to snag any shards it
passes over, and the Blizzard is already heavily scarred and lacerated after less than 6 months of
middling use. Does anyone have any recommendations for 25-622 (a.k.a. 700C, 25mm) touring tyres that
can take a bit of punishment? I've had good experiences with the Continental Top Touring 2000 model
in the past on a previous bike, but does anyone have any good alternatives they can suggest before I
commit myself?

(No, I don't want slime, gel, solid tyres, things filled with foam, or any kind of tyre with knobbly
bits on. Nor am I looking for things made of tissue paper, frogskins and blind faith. I'm really
looking for a recommendation for a good basic touring tyre that'll hold up for a few years)

(I should add: damn you, Puncture Fairy. May thy black and tattered butyl rags gum together in a
horrid gooey torrent of poly cement, may thy wand's shards be ground to sand and to dust, and may
chalk dust get up thy haughty elfin nostrils and make thee sneeze and thy nose run uncomfortably.
But I won't, as that a) might be tempting fate, and b) somebody out there might have puncture_fairy
as a nick somewhere)

Right, I'm off to learn to play the spoon handles.

--
STRANGER: I wear no mask. CAMILLA: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:53:22 +0000, Andrew Chadwick wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for 25-622 (a.k.a. 700C, 25mm) touring tyres that can take a
> bit of punishment?

I use Continental GP 4-Seasons and they would probably meet your requirements. The reviews I've read
(http://www.roadbikereview.com) are borne out by my own experience.

--
Michael MacClancy Random pleonasm - "Sometimes you can observe a lot just by watching." - attributed
to Yogi Berra www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any recommendations for 25-622 (a.k.a. 700C, 25mm) touring tyres that can take a
>bit of punishment?

Why would you look further than the Conti Top Touring you mention? My mate Bob, Reading's premier
blind cycle mechanic, uses them on his tandem. They appear to be indestructible!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any recommendations for 25-622 (a.k.a. 700C, 25mm) touring tyres that can take a
>bit of punishment? I've had good experiences with the Continental Top Touring 2000 model in the
>past on a previous bike, but does anyone have any good alternatives they can suggest before I
>commit myself?
>
>(No, I don't want slime, gel, solid tyres, things filled with foam, or any kind of tyre with
>knobbly bits on. Nor am I looking for things made of tissue paper, frogskins and blind faith. I'm
>really looking for a recommendation for a good basic touring tyre that'll hold up for a few years)

Specialized Armadillo. I've done over 1,000 miles on a new pair of Nimbuses so far this year in the
rain and the snow, and they're hardly marked.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain

On 2004-02-06 08:57 +0000, davebee wrote:

> [quoting Just zis Guy]
> >
> > Why would you look further than the Conti Top Touring you mention? My mate Bob, Reading's
> > premier blind cycle mechanic, uses them on his tandem. They appear to be indestructible!
>
> seconded. I have been using them on my tourer for the past two YEARS and havent had a single
> p*n*t*re in that time. top quality tyres.

They are. Unfortunately a wander round my LBSes this afternoon has revealed that they aren't
available in 700x25C. Should have checked my facts first before posting.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm now considering the merits of the Grand Prix 4-Season against
those of the Ultra Gatorskin, both Continental jobs.

--
Andrew Chadwick You never hear a Cricket crowd chanting "who's the ******* in the hat?"

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:42:06 +0000, Andrew Chadwick
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>They are. Unfortunately a wander round my LBSes this afternoon has revealed that they aren't
>available in 700x25C. Should have checked my facts first before posting.

Is the new Stelvio available in that size? It is, apparently, Rather Good. Mr Larrington? Are your
spies able to inform us here?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

> Does anyone have any recommendations for 25-622 (a.k.a. 700C, 25mm) touring tyres that can take a
> bit of punishment?
Specialized Armadillo

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Is the new Stelvio available in that size? It is, apparently, Rather Good. Mr Larrington? Are your
> spies able to inform us here?

No need to wake the Sinister Agents when there is an Interweb. Perusal of www.schwalbe.com shews
Stelvios in 25-622, and also the Stelvio Rain.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> > Is the new Stelvio available in that size? It is, apparently, Rather Good. Mr Larrington? Are
> > your spies able to inform us here?

> No need to wake the Sinister Agents when there is an Interweb. Perusal of www.schwalbe.com shews
> Stelvios in 25-622, and also the Stelvio Rain.

Ah, but is it the New! IMPROVED! Stelvio, or the old and somewhat puncture prone one?

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Ah, but is it the New! IMPROVED! Stelvio, or the old and somewhat puncture prone one?

It sez it's "Armaduro", which is also what the New! IMPROVED!! folding 406 Stelvio is. These have so
far proved to be proof against the P+nct+r+ Fairy for the entire 11 km that I rode my shiny shiny
new Trice yesterday, while the Old! UNIMPROVED!! one on the front of the Speedmachine was rudely
assaulted this morning.

Note to self: See whether Darth Stuart has the new one in yet...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/