touring up the coast?

lilstepper

May 19, 2004
hi, ive been cycling touring up the east coast for the last month. stareted in sydney and plan to eventually get to cairns. (in byron bay at the moment :)
i plan to continue on to brisbane, then to noosa heads. my question is... im wondering what the ride will be like between noosa and cairns? i keep hearing that theres not many back roads i can take, and that id have to take the highway for a large part of the way...which can be dangereous (obviously) and visually not that exciting as well. im thinking i will get a ride up and then hop out somewhere to continue cycling to cairns...but im not sure where is a good place to get out and do this? which part of the coast i 'shouldnt' ride? (if it sounds as unridable as ive been told)

any advice is very appreciated! thanks

Can't give you any advice on the northern coast road, but I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one back road you could take.

How about telling us how it's going. I've recently moved from Adelaide to Brisbane and I'm considering a "Great Barrier Reef" south to north tour - would be a great ride in the middle of winter as the weather's real nice.

Country spanning touring is definately my thing so let us know how it's going - my curiosity is peaked.