Touring Webpage: A NORTH AMERICAN BICYCLE JOURNEY

leon_maurice

Aug 19, 2006
Hi fellow bicycle tourers!

It's probably a bit rude to just register and then do self promotion straight away, but...
I did a trip in the US from San Francisco to Mexico via Alaska and have put together a tour report and a bunch of photos, so if you're interested in touring I'm sure you might be interested.

[url="http://www.geocities.com/leon_maurice_and_tyrone"]www.geocities.com/leon_maurice_and_tyrone[/url]

As for me, I used to live in the US (I'm an Aussie) but now living in the UK. Am interested in doing some long distance cycling in the UK also but as for now I have a trip through the Pyrenees next month which I'm really looking forward to.

Happy riding
Leon

Hi Leon,
I'm on day 85 of your tour and I'm having so much fun!!
Why haven't you found a publisher for this yet?
With the pictures (and I'm sure there are more of those) and you could expand on some of your days discriptions, this is a great book in the making.

Think about it!

Ginny in Denver
Going to ride around the Great Lake Erie in 2008

The photographs are gorgeous, and the text is pretty good. Leon's personality comes shining through. I really like the honesty and the details of characters met along the way. The first segment of the trip (California, north to Alaska, and then to Utah) is really wonderfully done, and is compulsively readable. I found the second part, perhaps because it involved less bicycling, more alcohol, the apparent growing need for a girlfriend, and increasing anomie, less interesting, but still fun.

Leon, if you really don't know what to do with your life, the answer seems obvious: you're a born travel photographer. Perhaps your wanderlust and artistic eye can be the cure for your aversion to 9-5 slavery.

NuCommuter

Hey thanks for the wonderful comments guys, I really appreciate it. I know the mexico section got quite a bit long winded. It's because I've taken so long to get all this written that my style may have changed over the year. I think I will go through the mexico section again one day soon and see if I can cut some of it down.

Just returned from a trip across the Pyrenees in France, ten days to get from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. Have ruined my left knee. The scenery was awseome (I will put some photos up within the next month) but that kind of trip deserves about a month, not ten days.

Hope you are all well

Happy cycling
Leon

leon_maurice said:
Hey thanks for the wonderful comments guys, I really appreciate it. I know the mexico section got quite a bit long winded. It's because I've taken so long to get all this written that my style may have changed over the year. I think I will go through the mexico section again one day soon and see if I can cut some of it down.

Just returned from a trip across the Pyrenees in France, ten days to get from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic. Have ruined my left knee. The scenery was awseome (I will put some photos up within the next month) but that kind of trip deserves about a month, not ten days.

Hope you are all well

Happy cycling
Leon
I have tried to open geocities from where I am in China but it will not open. There is another journal mentioned on this site in geocities and I could not open that either. Just my bad luck because I really enjoy reading bicycle touring journals. I will try approaching geocities from another angle and see if I can get it to open from where I am.

I entered geocities.com in google or a google like site and geocities opened. I cut and pasted your address into the box for geocities and it brough up your site. But then it would not open your pages. I get that all the time here and there is not much I can do about it except try later.

Velotour said:
I have tried to open geocities from where I am in China but it will not open.
If you have too many problems, I could always send you a zipped copy of the html that you could run from your local machine. It's quite a few pages so I could send you bits at a time. If you'd like that, email me at leon_maurice_and_tyrone**at**yahoo.com (replace the "**at**" with "@")

Cheers
Leon

This is a well written and highly entertaining journal of your trip. I loved reading it. My favorite quotes were:
Today was the worst. Colder than buggery again.
and
I’ve realised that part of my responsibility as a dive master is to convince any good looking girl in a bikini that the water is warm enough to dive without a wetsuit.
:)

Thanks for the inspiration to take my own trip up to Alaska on my bike next summer.

Great website. Great photos and Great story. I plan to do the west coast from seattle down to san francisco, in the next 2 years. I am 3 weeks away from starting my first real(longer than 3days) tour from sydney, via melbourne along the coast and then onto to adelaide. I would rather suffer the heat in oz, than the cold in alaska. it will be a shock, escaping the damp conditions in ireland over the next 2 months or so and coping with the sun. Again, leon....great story. As someone posted earlier...would make a great book. Good Luck.

Uinseann

Leon: What an extensive and excellent website! I am giving some thought to the same sort of journey, although one not quite as long as yours, so your thoughts and experiences are relevant to my plans. Here is what I like about your website: excellent photos, great layout, well-written text which clearly reflects your own voice, humor, and personality. One suggestion would be to add an index by which you could jump to the day or series of days on your journey.

I have quite a few questions about your trip and a lot of little details about it, but I'll ask just one for now: have you heard from anyone you've written about while on your trip?

Again, great website and great journey.

Best, Keefe.

Hello everyone!!
Thanks for your lovely comments, they're really appreciated. And thanks for reading, it makes the long hours spent typing it up all worthwhile.
Well I did finally get to Cuba, albeit sans bike. I tried, but AirFrance wouldn't let me bring Stef (my bike) on the plane!!!!
Well, photos of cuba are up here, sorry no dialogue to go with it, as I'm currently working on something else at the moment...
http://www.geocities.com/leon_maurice_and_tyrone/cuba

Cheers
Leon