Touring Wheelset in question...

Wallguy

Feb 27, 2005
I have a Cannondale T2000 Touring bike that was purchased early this year. The wheelset that came on the bike consisted of DT Swiss 7.1 rims, DT 14ga spokes in a 36h, 3 cross pattern with Cannondale Wind hubs. I am a clydesdale rider, weighing in at 275lbs. About 2 months after the bike purchase and about 500 miles, the bearings in the rear hub failed when I was climbing a short hill and standing on the pedals. There was no cargo other than my own big self, and the initial crack and subsequent constant clicking and wobbly rear wheel forced me to pull over and begin my long walk home. My LBS ordered and replaced the bearings with no squabble at all. Unfortunately, the same thing happened again about a month ago. I explained to the salesman (who is also the owner of the shop) that I was pretty perplexed over this happening again - after all, I bought a bike that was built to handle a load. After a call to Cannondale, he explained that a new replacement wheelset would be forthcoming. I have been a good customer over the last three years and have bought many bikes for me and my family, so I was excited to hear that a new wheelset was on the way. My concern is that the replacement wheelset is Mavic Open Pro rims, 36h rear and 32h front, with a 3 cross pattern using 12ga spokes on Ultegra hubs. Obviously, a great wheelset. But the concern is that I run 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Aren't these tires way too big for that rim? I've always heard that one shouldn't run anything bigger than a 28 on a standard road rim. Should I indeed be concerned?

Wallguy said:
I have a Cannondale T2000 Touring bike that was purchased early this year. The wheelset that came on the bike consisted of DT Swiss 7.1 rims, DT 14ga spokes in a 36h, 3 cross pattern with Cannondale Wind hubs. I am a clydesdale rider, weighing in at 275lbs. About 2 months after the bike purchase and about 500 miles, the bearings in the rear hub failed when I was climbing a short hill and standing on the pedals. There was no cargo other than my own big self, and the initial crack and subsequent constant clicking and wobbly rear wheel forced me to pull over and begin my long walk home. My LBS ordered and replaced the bearings with no squabble at all. Unfortunately, the same thing happened again about a month ago. I explained to the salesman (who is also the owner of the shop) that I was pretty perplexed over this happening again - after all, I bought a bike that was built to handle a load. After a call to Cannondale, he explained that a new replacement wheelset would be forthcoming. I have been a good customer over the last three years and have bought many bikes for me and my family, so I was excited to hear that a new wheelset was on the way. My concern is that the replacement wheelset is Mavic Open Pro rims, 36h rear and 32h front, with a 3 cross pattern using 12ga spokes on Ultegra hubs. Obviously, a great wheelset. But the concern is that I run 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Aren't these tires way too big for that rim? I've always heard that one shouldn't run anything bigger than a 28 on a standard road rim. Should I indeed be concerned?

The 35mm tires should work OK on those rims. I have seen several riders with large cyclocross tires on Open Pro rims and even some guys using OP rims on their 29ers with 2" tires.

Wallguy said:
What is the rear drop-out spacing on your T-2000? 130 or 135 mm?
Ultegra hubs are 130 OLD for the rear.
Mavic rates their Open Pro rims for tires from 19 - 28 mm, but you can use wider.
Mavic rates the Open Pro rims for rider plus load @ 100 kg.
12 ga spokes don't usually fit in Ultegra hubs and quality 12 ga spokes are very hard to find.
I think a more suitable choice of rims, hubs, and spokes would better suit you and your applications.
Shimano XT hubs, Mavic A-719 or Velocity Dyad rims, and qualtiy 14/15 g DT Competition or Sapim Race spokes would serve you much better in the long run. I certainly agree that at least 36 spokes in the rear wheel is a good idea. I suggest you use 36 spokes in the front wheel.
http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/piste_produit_jante_OPEN_PRO.php?onglet=3&gamme=route
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width
http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/p/produit_jante_a719.php?onglet=3&gamme=asphalte
http://velocityusa.com/rims/29er-rims.php
are some references for your information.

Wallguy said:

You are only placing 122kg plus the bike on the wheels.
We put 165kg on our wheels plus another 18kg for the tandem.
We use Chkis King, Hugi and Hope hubs with no problems. White Industries also makes a top rated hub.
Velocity Dyad rims are the way to go if you want to run wider tyres. You can put the 35mm tyres on the Open Pro rims but they will roll aroud unless you have the pressures up to the limit as the beads will be to close together.
We use Conti Gatorskins 28c on our 700c DeepV wheels with no problems. I think the Mavics are the same dimensions so you will be fine on these as well.

Cheers

Geoff