Touring with a Decathlon Trekking Bike?

Elizabeth101

Apr 26, 2005
Hi, we are planning a tour in France from around mid-August to mid-September. At the moment we are planning on taking our own bikes from Australia, mine either my Cannondale T2000 or trusty hybrid, John's a Vivente World Randonneur. However, after lots of stories of the airlines charging an absolute fortune for your bikes plus the hassle of packing them up and trying to be mobile with a big box and all your gear. I wonder, whether it would be easier to just buy one of Decathlon's trekking models(Riverside 5) for around 400 euros? They seem to be very well equipped. We are only planning on doing around 1500km and we could then leave them with family in Scotland for either another visit or for their use.

What do you think? If you have access to a Decathlon I'd really appreciate your view. Also, could we stick a front rack on their forks?

It does appeal, just get to the bike shop, stick our panniers & tent on and cycle off into the sunset :cool:

Well a bit disappointed, so many views but no replies! Doesn't anyone have an opinion?
Has anybody seen these bikes and could advise whether they could take a front rack?

I've had some feedback on crazyguyonabike and couchsurfers cyclists but not here. :confused:

Hi there,
Not sure if this question is still an issue for you, but here is my input:
1) a bike in a box will be carried by a regular airline as luggage, at least when you travel international. Not sure who you booked with, but their website should have a section on bike transport. I've transported my bikes across the world many times - no issues. Get a cardboard box from your bike store, google "how to box a bike", and you'll be fine. You could even ask your bike store to box your bikes for you, but without the practice, you'd have to do the same here in Europe.
2) looking at the bikes you and your husband currently ride, I have a hard time believing you could be happy on a Decathlon bike. They are heavy and clunky. Good for the occasional rider on flat ground, but you're coming from a very different angle.
You'd have to spend time getting the bike, too.
In short, for a whole month of riding in France, I'd definitely bring my own bike.

I'm sure you would have to take the bike apart. It's not like it's super heavy. I think I'd take my own bike too.