Touring with my Bianchi road bike

Giovanni Midili

Nov 28, 2011
I've got a 2011 Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7 and I ride about 30-50 miles a day. My friend and I plan on going on a tour ride from Longbeach, WA to Santa Barbara, CA in June of 2012. His mom, being very protective, will not let us go without a sagwaggon (her). So we will be riding 1100-1300 miles while carrying nothing but our own bodies. Will my bike handle this ride, or should I make some changes accordingly? I have never done a tour ride, so any information at all would be very helpful. Thanks

Your Via Nirone will handle the ride no problem. You may get a flat tire here or there, but who cares you have a personal team car. Maybe you pop a spoke hitting a bad bump, who cares? You have a personal team car and can drive directly to the closest bike shop. Just have the local shop give it a once over before departure if you are not so mechanically inclined. A first aid kit in the car wouldn't hurt either.

It does sound convenient, but with chaperon firmly in tow, an adventure not so much. On the upside there will likely be zero chance of you waking up in some strange hotel, head pounding, with a tattoo covering half your face.